The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net Empty
PostSubject: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Just had to rant a little bit after spending a week trying to get internet set up at my new place.

Exactly a week ago I tried to contact the company that offers fiber optic cable in my area as that was what I had before. I sent them a message through their website and it mentioned being contacted within 24 hours. The next day i did not hear from them, so I tried to call and got a voicemail message. I left a message and didn't get a call back that day.

Next I decided to just try for internet through the cable provider. Their connection speed is a little slower, but I figured they would be easier to get setup with. The place I live in already provides T.V. service with them. I tried to check out on their website and it was supposed to have an option of allowing me to install it myself or having someone else do it. I knew I could set it up myself and already had a cable modem. Needless to say I only got the option for professional installation on checkout and the fee was $100. I started an online chat with their customer service and told them the situation. They finally said, that because the t.v. service is under a bulk contract for the complex, that I needed to speak with the person who takes care of that.

The next day I call the guy who handles the t.v. service and he told me they didn't know what they were talking about and that all the other people in the area have set up their own accounts for internet. He gave me the account number for the bulk contract so they could look it up for me. I call tell them the situation and then they finally say they can hook me up, but the monthly fee will be $53. By going through the website is was going to be $19.99 for the first six months and then go up to $42, so it seemed ridiculous to me that the same service was $10 more because I called in.

I decided to try online again and it did the same thing by only giving me the professional installation option. I decided to try the chat again and talk with someone else. This time they said they could help get me setup and that I had to have the professional installation because I am on a separate account for internet service, but they could arrange a reduced rate. I told him to tell me what the rate was and after a minute he finally said that he could not set me up online and to call their toll free number.

As a last try I decided to take the 15 minute drive to their office and deal with someone in person. I should have done that in the first place as they set up my account within minutes. They couldn't get me the same online deal, but I did get $25 for the first 6 months and then the $43 rate after that.

However, I did have one little hiccup with their software. I have a mac as my main machine at home and their software must be pretty old as it hadn't been updated for intel macs and hung during the step to verify the network set up. I ended up loading my Windows virtual machine, ran the software through it and finally got setup without a problem.

During all of this the original place I tried to contact finally called me back, but they said their service was going to be close to $70 a month.

Anyway, I finally have internet at home and powerofthetoys is operational again. Smile
The whole thing was one big pain in the ass, but I think from now on, if I have to deal with the company, I will be going to their office, even if the drive is out of the way.

Sorry about the long winded post. Just feels good to at least explain the story after all the shit I had to go through.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Wow that sounds like a complete bunch of shit!

We have had run ins with out net company lately, basically we had huge lag when gaming and noticed our connection was just shit slow for a week or so , we called up and asked if there was a problem at first which they admitted and said it would be fixed, it of course didn't get fixed..

We actually found out ourselves that our primary DNS for some reason went down and that was the reason our net was lagging like a ****, we were effectively being re routed to our second or third so we still had net but it wasn't the closest server to us..

Ana called them up and asked why that was the case and when could we expect the pings and net to be working as it was before, they basically said: 1. we don't guarantee ping 2. if you know so much about the subject why are you asking us?

Bunch of shit if you ask me, the crap thing is its the shittest sevice around and the most expensive, the customer service is just a kick in the teeth, we ended up putting the phone down making a complaint and in 3 months we are changing companies. Joke.

Glad to hear you at least have net set up again Shawn, was missing your site!

Joe
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Why are cable companies such a pain in the ass to deal with?

We had a nasty problem with ours when our internet went down over the summer. Apparently our neighbor had the main cable running through his backyard, and the cable coming into our house from the main cable went bad, thus it needed to be replaced.

Not only did it take over a month to get someone out to run new cable, dig a trench to bury the conduit and hook it up to our house, but they sent the most seediest individuals to do it.

To make a long story short, my wife and I came home for lunch to find them in my backyard... urinating on our trees! Needless to say I was less than pleased to find this and called the cable company demanding they get new people over there to finish the job, because I had already kicked these a-holes out.

Totally feel your pain Shawn! Smile
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 pm

I think you knew more than the support guy did and it made him go on the defensive. Very Happy I hope you end up with a better company in 3 months. I was with my previous provider 3 years and the service was good. I did have a couple billing issues where they didn't send me a bill and then the next month had the previous one tacked on, but other than that they were great.

It's also good to see my avatar working again. Very Happy

That's crazy Chris! I would have done the same thing. I'm glad it ended up that I didn't have to deal with anyone coming to my place.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm

RebelChris wrote:

To make a long story short, my wife and I came home for lunch to find them in my backyard... urinating on our trees!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well, I know sometimes you gotta go, but ...that is pretty bad! I hope you gave them a good kicking Chris!?
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Joe_O wrote:
RebelChris wrote:

To make a long story short, my wife and I came home for lunch to find them in my backyard... urinating on our trees!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well, I know sometimes you gotta go, but ...that is pretty bad! I hope you gave them a good kicking Chris!?

That's what I told the guy on the other end of the line. But, I still don't expect to walk in on it!

It didn't help that they didn't speak English, so when it came time to kick them out, it took way longer than I wanted it to. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 pm

A kick up the ass is universal Chris! or a punch in the face, pretty sure they would have worked it out!

Damn that is pretty bad, I thought getting pissed OFF by these guys was the pits, you actually got pissed ON! lol!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:04 pm

RebelChris wrote:

That's what I told the guy on the other end of the line. But, I still don't expect to walk in on it!

It didn't help that they didn't speak English, so when it came time to kick them out, it took way longer than I wanted it to. Rolling Eyes

That is really messed up. You would think they would get the hint with some yelling and pointing.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:42 pm

One of the sites I visit just posted this comic about support. I thought it fit. Laughing
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 4:33 pm

shawn_k wrote:
One of the sites I visit just posted this comic about support. I thought it fit. Laughing

That is hilarious!!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 5:55 am

RebelChris wrote:
shawn_k wrote:

That is hilarious!!!!

lol!

That was class!

I worked a a sales and training manager and a business coach at Orange (Mobile) for 5 years so i know exactly what you guys are going through.

Jay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net   The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Joys of Getting Connected to the Net

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Off Topic
-