The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Spotting Recards

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CROCKETT1984
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
CROCKETT1984

Spotting Recards Empty
PostSubject: Spotting Recards   Spotting Recards I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Ive noticed alot of figures being recarded on e-bay and even though the sellers do highlight that in the description, I'm affraid that someone will try and pass them off as original. I have heard stories about people getting ripped off, so is there a sure way of being able to tell wether a card is original or not?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Spotting Recards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotting Recards   Spotting Recards I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 6:16 pm

It's a nightmare to be 100% sure looking at pictures. Getting a few real cardbacks to compare to is a good start. Keeping a computer file of lots of pictures is useful as well, so you can look at bubble positioning, size etc. Buying from a trusted source is your best bet. Research, research, research. Post pictures up here if you have doubts Smile
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

Spotting Recards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotting Recards   Spotting Recards I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 6:33 pm

aussiejames wrote:
It's a nightmare to be 100% sure looking at pictures. Getting a few real cardbacks to compare to is a good start. Keeping a computer file of lots of pictures is useful as well, so you can look at bubble positioning, size etc. Buying from a trusted source is your best bet. Research, research, research. Post pictures up here if you have doubts Smile

To echo what AJ said, there's no one "tell tale sign" for spotting recards. Especially since there are so many different releases, bubbles, etc.

However, there are things to look for. You always want to be mindful of bubble size, waffle patterns and cardback colors. Punch holes are also a good thing to watch out for (simply because some recards I've seen have what looks like a punch printed onto the card).

Here is a really good and informative thread: MOC Collecting Thread

There's a lot of good info in there and some decent shots of the "waffle pattern". Also, like what AJ said, don't be afraid to ask questions or post photos. We are all here to help and we are all still learning.
Back to top Go down
CROCKETT1984
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
CROCKETT1984

Spotting Recards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotting Recards   Spotting Recards I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for the info. The only other thing ive been able to find is that the originals are glossier than the reproductions, and the image is a little more crisp. But its hard to make that distiction from just a photo.
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

Spotting Recards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotting Recards   Spotting Recards I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Research and knowing the seller is key. 100% Accurate repro bubbles are available now and the waffle pattern is now being copied.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

Spotting Recards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotting Recards   Spotting Recards I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 10:31 am

A couple other things to keep in mind as well.

Usually the only recards that are out there are the high dollar ones (12 backs, 20/21 backs, Rare Foreign variants like Lili Ledy, Meccano, Early Palitoy and Harbert). You don't really see too many late ESB and ROTJ Kenner recarded figures. They are out there, but just not as prevalent as the others.

Like I said earlier, don't be afraid to ask questions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spotting Recards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotting Recards   Spotting Recards I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotting Recards

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1