The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
User897
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? Empty
PostSubject: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 9:59 am

Hello everyone,

Has anyone else here had a portion or your entire collection stolen? What have you done to cope? Are you no longer financially able to recover anything? Since I lost 99% of not only my collection, but everything I owned back on Christmas 2014, I've not been to TIG or any other Star Wars related site very often, if at all. I feel that I have nothing to contribute anymore, and I am sad and empty most days. Does anyone here share such pain?
Back to top Go down
User897
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Well don't all jump at once....
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 8:13 am

I'm going to move this to the main section. It's a little off topic but certainly interested in hearing if others have had any experiences like this.

Not that it's much comfort, but not having a collection doesn't mean you can't participate of course. When I read that I immediately went to the story of the Grinch, and how everyone in Whoville still celebrated despite not having anything. Collecting can be more about the friendships and community over the toys, be i'll grant you the sting of being a victim of theft can make that hard.

For some people not familiar, what happened?
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 am

no but im sorry this happened to ya . being a collector of many things I couldn't imagine how id cope but i'll tell ya this as long as your alive its not too late to star again . im a loose collector and have bought and sold 3 full loose kenner sets (droids and ewoks included) . I will not sell again trust me , but the point is you can always start again
Back to top Go down
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 9:27 pm

I have thought on occasion that if my house was burglarized, my star wars collection, which is expensive and irreplaceable to me, would they be stolen as well. The reasonable side of me always thought no one would steal action figures. Now you have me worried. I would not be able to recreate the collection I have now if it were stolen. Could not afford it again. It would suck.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 6:23 am

Always make sure your insurance(s) are paid and current. There have been numerous examples of stolen collections in the past- some with 'interesting' stories. As far as dealing with pain- focus on good and be good.
Back to top Go down
beachboy19
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
beachboy19

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 9:40 am

Luckily, no I have not had anything from my collection stolen. But I have an 18 month old boy and another boy due in December and I'm thinking in the future there could be problems when "friends" come over.
Back to top Go down
User897
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 3:31 pm

DarthBerizing wrote:
I'm going to move this to the main section. It's a little off topic but certainly interested in hearing if others have had any experiences like this.

Not that it's much comfort, but not having a collection doesn't mean you can't participate of course. When I read that I immediately went to the story of the Grinch, and how everyone in Whoville still celebrated despite not having anything. Collecting can be more about the friendships and community over the toys, be i'll grant you the sting of being a victim of theft can make that hard.

For some people not familiar, what happened?

It's been two years and I just can't tell the detailed story anymore. Let's just say this, I was barely able to ship 1% of my collection home. The rest, I had an agreement with my "friend" to ship down the rest each month with money I would provide. On Christmas day 2014, after I had sent the first payment, I discovered my stuff on eBay. It has been sad going ever since. I only am paid once a month from Social Security Disability, and I am painfully aware that I will not be able to recover even a fraction of what I had.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Sorry to hear that happened is there any legal thing that can help a signed contract between you and you friend. I can imagion it's tough although I never had a collection stolen my wife had her diamond engagement ring stolen, which I finally got for her on our 5th anniversary I couldn't afford a real one when I proposed. Not the same as loosing a large collection but the hurt of knowing how hard you tried to get that in the first place to have someone just walk away with it is hard to deal with.

Larry
Back to top Go down
User897
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 7:48 pm

I tried all legal avenues. He told the cops that I "abandoned my stuff" and they wouldn't pursue it any further.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?   Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you been a victim of toy and collectible theft?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1