The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Frenzy
New User
New User

Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help Empty
PostSubject: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 5:27 am

Hey guy I need some help. I purchased this Luke Stormtrooper and it's all good except for the helmet has black markings on the back of it. I have no issue with the legitimacy of the helmet I cannot find any pics, images or info on any other helmet like it. The seller insists it came off the card and was/is under no threat of negative feedback ect and that he has not tampered with it at all. In the flesh it does not look touched up. Any help appreciated.
Attachments
20160427_233121.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(50 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 6:16 am

Welcome to TIG. I can see that our V2 Repro on the main site has two black paint apps on the back http://www.imperialgunnery.com/helmetsandhoods.htm I'm not saying your example is this one, it's hard to tell much from your pic. As far as I know an original doesn't have black paint on the rear. Some additional pics of the helmet might help?
Back to top Go down
Frenzy
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 7:31 am

Here's some more. Had to change the image size. The helmet is hard resin and detailed...
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 11:04 am

The extra photos didn't show up. If you could do pics of the front and rear so we can see the details in the helmet. Just going off the pic I can see there is some bleed where the black caused the helmet to have a gray haze, so it may be an original helmet someone customized a bit, but the one pic is not enough to see the detail of the helmet itself.
Back to top Go down
Frenzy
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 11:08 am

Oh 4 or so said they uploaded, give it another go...
Attachments
20160427_213823.jpg
(71 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
20160427_214600.jpg
(108 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
20160427_214652.jpg
(65 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
20160427_214719.jpg
(85 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
20160427_233057.jpg
(50 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 11:20 am

I am at work at the moment, so I don't have my original to compare to. The mold lines look right, but the mouth detail looks as though there is some loss of sharpness there. I am leaning towards real though as it could be the angle of the photo making the mouth not appear as sharp. I will look closer tonight when I get home.
Back to top Go down
Frenzy
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 12:16 pm

closer of the front.
Attachments
20160429_001025.jpg
(39 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 9:19 am

Ridge inside the back, top sprue mark, face grill all correct, rear paint is odd :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Frenzy
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 10:40 am

I know and the seller swears black and blue it came off the card to display then storage for a heap of years. I told him I have no doubt the helmet is original I just need to know if he coloured it or sharpied it so I could clean it off if I needed to. He said he hadn't ....
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 10:48 am

I believe the helmet is original, but someone somewhere has customized it. If he doesn't remember or whatever, it was a long time ago. I have no doubt though the paint or whatever it is isn't original to it. I outlined the entire paint area in green and the bleed areas in red. You don't see this bleed on the other black applications because they were factory, This one was not. At this point though removing the black will still leave this gray color to the plastic I would think. Probably best to leave it be rather than remove it and it be discolored anyway.

Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help Downlo10
Back to top Go down
Frenzy
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for the input. Still hard to figure the why's and how's as to why it was done but it could just have been his son when he was younger and just never thought about it as an adult.
Back to top Go down
mat8yr
Developer
Developer
mat8yr

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 10:51 pm

Welcome fellow collector!

... just to add to the others comments, the frontal image shows a dash of black paint on the lower right cheek. this shouldnt be there either, so maybe when the person modified the rear they caught this with the brush? it's unlikely to be factory mistake because they tended to be splatters if they missed the mark. Also the factory is sprayed so you either get a good straight edge (which is hard to reproduce with a paintbrush) or it fades out toward the edges (like the black circles either side of the mouth piece, again impossible to reproduce with a brush).

That rear paint is definitely a paintbrush job.

If you were to attempt removal (and I'm not suggesting you do or don't), then I would try very small amounts of acetone (nail polish remover) on a cloth and rub gently. Too much on the cloth at a time WILL melt the plastic though so be aware. I tried it on a snow speeder which had something undesirable on it but I got impatient and used too much - it cleaned it but it did slightly change the plastic edge to be smoother, ie. melted it a bit.

My Stormy Luke helmet is an original and it doesnt have black at the back.

Interesting anecdote... it was after finding my Stormy Luke helmet in an old toy box along with only 2 figures (C3PO + R2 Scopey) from my childhood after emigrating to the US that kicked off my collecting Star Wars! I'm now 93 complete figures deep, nearly all the vehicles and my wife is close to killing me! Stormie Smiley
Back to top Go down
Frenzy
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 5:12 am

Just found another one for sale....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-Last-17-Luke-Skywalker-Stormtrooper-Complete-No-Repro-/262478977428?cp=1&sojTags=bu%3Dbu&bu=43196243255&euid=6432c4a4d4ee4d4097873cf7682a44d4&nma=true&si=kpMKw2lom2ZRtl5kpR2BsRCpqmM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help   Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luke Stormtrooper Helmet help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1