The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blueboy75
New User
New User

Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? Empty
PostSubject: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:07 am

Hi!
I bought, finally, this No COO Leia Organa figure complete with cape.  I asked the seller if the cape was an original or a repro and he answered this: In my opinion it's a repro, it looks too new to be original.
Actually this cape doesn't look too new to me. It is crumpled, but matte on a side and glossy on the other and is thinner than Vader's, Lando's and Obi's capes.
I added a couple of pics, so you can have a look and maybe help me out.

Thank you guys
Attachments
Matte side.JPG
Matte side
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(76 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Glossy side.JPG
Glossy side
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(77 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:10 am

From the pictures it doesn't look like vintage based off of that crumpled and shiny look. Do you know if it makes a 'zip' sound on either side?
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:11 am

Is there any type of crosshatch on either side? Does the cape make a zipping sound when you run your fingernail across it?
Back to top Go down
blueboy75
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 am

It does make a "zip" sound on the matte side and not on the glossy one, but I wouldn't rely on that, as any other piece of vinyl would do exactly the same.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:19 am

No but that is one good clue to help. Most leia capes have the texture on one side, there is a leia cape that came with a Taiwan leia that did not have texture on it at all so smooth on both sides.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:22 am

Do you have another leia cape? Sometimes it helps to lay one on top of the other to see if the cut is correct. Honestly AJ and Paul are much better at this than I am so I want them to weigh in before saying my opinion. I just want to have all the preliminary variables laid out so they can make a decent determination.
Back to top Go down
blueboy75
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 am

Crosshatch pattern, you mean? No, it is plane matte...
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 am

trappedtexan wrote:
Do you have another leia cape?  Sometimes it helps to lay one on top of the other to see if the cut is correct.  Honestly AJ and Paul are much better at this than I am so I want them to weigh in before saying my opinion.  I just want to have all the preliminary variables laid out so they can make a decent determination.

And maybe you can take a cape in each hand and really feel the difference. I don't know if it's just me, but the pictures make the cape look paper thin.. more than usual.
Back to top Go down
blueboy75
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 11:33 am

I don't have another one to compare it with, but yes, it is quite thin at the touch. Thinner that all the other capes that I have (Vader, Obi, Lando, Snowtrooper, C3-P0 removable limbs) and they all have, more or less, the same thickness
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Welcome to TIG. It's always hard to call from photos alone, and as others have said comparing to an original you're sure of (or even a known repro) is a good way forward.
The armholes on yours look like they've been 'worn' for a while which is usually a good sign but not conclusive.
You say one side 'zips', have you looked closely under a magnifying glass for crosshatching or vertical/horizontal ridges or patterns? Sometimes these are not always visible to the naked eye.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?   Original or fake Leia Organa's cape? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Original or fake Leia Organa's cape?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1