The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! Empty
PostSubject: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 am

Do not read this thread if you want to avoid spoilers!

Otherwise please post your thoughts on The Force Awakens movie here so we can avoid multiple threads and any spoilers across the forum.

The release dates are different depending in which country you live in. I'm able to see it tomorrow but will avoid posting anything until everyone else has largely had chance to see it.

The LA premiere was yesterday (Monday 14 Dec) and here is a Guardian link to some of the photos taken there: http://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2015/dec/15/star-wars-droids-and-dresses-on-the-la-premiere-red-carpet-in-pictures

... again, don't click on the link if you are staying spoiler-free as some of the pics give cast names and what characters they play in the film.

I thought I'd post this one though, a bit special and good to see Lucas and Abrams together:

Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! Photog10
Photograph: Jason Merritt/Getty Images

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 6:17 am

Just got home from the Melbourne premier. I'm not going to post spoilers or anything in detail, I just want to say that Star Wars was finally done justice and the prequels are fading like a bad dream.

I can't believe I have to wait so long for the next film! Arghh!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 11:34 am

Lucky guy that you got to see it already. I don't think I will even be able to make opening week, and for sure wont make opening night. I did the opening night of Phantom Menace and don't plan on redoing another major opening like that. It was crazy with everyone all hyped up and wanting to be the first in so they could find the good seats.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 2:30 pm

I enjoyed it. So sad that Chewbacca died.... Razz
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 4:25 pm

aussiejames wrote:
I enjoyed it.   So sad that Chewbacca died.... Razz

NOOOOoooooooooo... always let the wookie win!

I just saw it and have to say kudos to Abrams and everyone involved. That looked and felt total Star Wars.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 4:31 pm

aussiejames wrote:
I enjoyed it.   So sad that Chewbacca died.... Razz

affraid Ruined it for me. up yours

Just kidding.......unless he does die in it. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 1:57 am

Wow!! What can I say? Other than there is a lot to discuss when everyone's up to speed.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 1:48 am

Oh man it was so awesome we went to the 7pm showing tonight the 17th watched it in 3D on the Imax it was so cool.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 6:29 am

I don't even know where to begin!

I'll keep it spoiler free for now but suffice to say JJ Abrams had an impossible task and he did the franchise justice. It was a truly great movie. I'm going to candidly say there were a (very) few things I wasn't totally digging but it's little things. It's also stuff related to being a movie, nothing from a "fanboy" perspective.

Everyone needs to see this so we can safely talk about it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 6:59 am

DarthBerizing wrote:

suffice to say JJ Abrams had an impossible task and he did the franchise justice.

Totally agree, as a 40+ year old original trilogy fan I was more than blown away by the film, its pace, its style and its performances. Ridley and Boyega were enjoyble to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing them again in the future. Any grumbles I have are really minor.

One thing that struck me was how the theatre - made up of kids, students and plenty of 30/40/50 somethings all sat engrossed for the whole 2 hours + with the bigggest applause for Han and Chewie's scene entrance. During the quiet parts of the film you could hear a pin drop.

What also pleased me is my 7 year old son totally digging it, he didn't even complain at the humungous queue to get in. It was a really good experience all round and I'm looking forward to catching a second viewing after Christmas cheers
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 am

I really enjoyed the movie! It hasn't completely set in... I saw the 8pm screening in 3D, finished the movie and got back in line to see it again at midnight in 2D.

A lot to talk about. Well done... Star Wars is back
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Mike_Z wrote:
I really enjoyed the movie! It hasn't completely set in... I saw the 8pm screening in 3D, finished the movie and got back in line to see it again at midnight in 2D.

A lot to talk about. Well done... Star Wars is back

Mike, how did the film come across in 2D compared to 3D?

We saw it in 3D - not my favourite format but here in France the decision was made to only show it in 3D in the first week. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in 2D from next week.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Artoo_Detour wrote:
Mike, how did the film come across in 2D compared to 3D?

We saw it in 3D - not my favourite format but here in France the decision was made to only show it in 3D in the first week. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in 2D from next week.

I liked 2D a lot better than the 3D. A lot more to see and pick up on in the 2D version if that makes any sense... I feel like the 3D format picks and chooses what the focus will be in each shot.

TFA exceeded all of my expectations. :clap:
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Mike_Z wrote:

I liked 2D a lot better than the 3D. A lot more to see and pick up on in the 2D version if that makes any sense... I feel like the 3D format picks and chooses what the focus will be in each shot.

Yes, makes sense. My eyes were wanting to check out background details but the 3D was at times too strong and left anything in the background as a blurry haze.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Went to see it in IMAX 3D today at 9 AM -- Wasn't disappointed!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 5:05 pm

I have never been to a 3D movie. Are the 3D glasses something that would allow me to wear my regular glasses under them? unsure I know it's a bit off topic, but I would love to see this in 3D at least once, but I wear glasses and can't do contacts (freaks me out to try to touch my eye or put anything in my eye) affraid
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 6:58 am

Has anyone been following the rumours that it was actor Daniel Craig playing the Stormtrooper in the 'Jedi mind trick' scene with Daisy Ridley thinking

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/17/daniel-craig-makes-cameo-star-wars-force-awakens

Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! James-10
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 7:12 am

trappedtexan wrote:
I have never been to a 3D movie.  Are the 3D glasses something that would allow me to wear my regular glasses under them?  unsure  I know it's a bit off topic, but I would love to see this in 3D at least once, but I wear glasses and can't do contacts (freaks me out to try to touch my eye or put anything in my eye) affraid

There were glasses options, $1 generic, $12 'Star Wars' versions, & clip on to existing glasses versions.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 11:53 am

Artoo_Detour wrote:
Has anyone been following the rumours that it was actor Daniel Craig playing the Stormtrooper in the 'Jedi mind trick' scene with Daisy Ridley thinking

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/17/daniel-craig-makes-cameo-star-wars-force-awakens

Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! James-10

Hearing it everywhere on the radio -- I think it's all but confirmed.

Simon Pegg leaked that news a long while ago, and Daniel Craig dismissed it because he's too big to play such a lowly, extra role. But I guess he did!
Back to top Go down
beachboy19
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
beachboy19

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Overall, it was a good movie. There were only two complaints I had. Spoilers:

1. I could see Han's end coming a mile away and I figure that had more to do with Harrison Ford not wanting to do any more movies (and possibly concerns over his age and being around for 2 more). It's kind of strange to think back to the OTC and everything Han survived... and now that's how he goes out? My personal preference would be for Han, Leia, and Luke to be there till the end of all 3 new movies. Oh well, just my personal feelings because I hate when major characters are killed.

2. I don't like it when movies don't really have an "ending". Clearly, we need to see 2 more movies to get the whole story, and we all know that Ep 8 will be a bridge to Ep 9. Felt more like a long TV show. This one really keeps you hanging with A LOT of unanswered questions. Rey's parents, how/what/when/why Snoke, how did Luke's lightsaber end up where it did, etc...

Minor things to think about... "we can't catch two people and a droid in a flea market; after 30 seconds give up and CALL IN AN AIRSTRIKE!" :I am stupid:

30 years post ROTJ and the First Order even exists? I could see a splinter faction of the Empire still running strong a year or two out from ROTJ, but 30 years? The Thrawn Trilogy was very plausible; this stretched it a bit. But it is a universe, not a planet, so I guess it takes longer to clean up after a "world war". You would think after 30 years the Republic would have been a bit stronger.

Other than that, just some of the usual plot hole stuff that you can overlook and keep smiling. That's the fun part of Star Wars sometimes.

By the way, I think it is funny scalpers and collectors have been hoarding Phasma stuff since Sept 4. Now we know she doesn't do anything cool, is in the movie less than 5 minutes, and gets thrown in the garbage. Ha. lol!
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 10:14 pm

beachboy19 wrote:
Oh well, just my personal feelings because I hate when major characters are killed.

You must avoid watching Game of Thrones entirely then!

P.S.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thundershot

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 2:28 am

I really enjoyed it a lot, but I think it should of ended about 5 minutes earlier & been given an episode 5 "setting off on a quest" style ending.

One of the (many) highlights for me was seeing Nien Nunb again :clap:

Did anyone else find that there was, perhaps, just a tad too much humour in the movie?

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 8:05 am

I didn't want to say anything (even with the "spoiler" title) since the cats out the bag on Han I might as well just dive in.

I didn't see it coming. When they were facing each other, I thought Han would be pushed off the platform, Luke uses the force to save Han and BAM!!!! Luke faces Kylo. So when he actually bit it I was surprised.

Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 11:56 pm

DarthBerizing wrote:
I didn't want to say anything (even with the "spoiler" title) since the cats out the bag on Han I might as well just dive in.

I didn't see it coming. When they were facing each other, I thought Han would be pushed off the platform, Luke uses the force to save Han and BAM!!!! Luke faces Kylo. So when he actually bit it I was surprised.

All the metaphors and analogies lined up perfectly for that moment. Poe previously stating how as long as there is light, there's hope -- fast forward to the sun dying out and everything is surrounded by darkness.

....Stab.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 11:57 am

DarthBerizing wrote:

I thought it was shocking enough Han going like that but Chewie's reaction to it brought a lump to my throat. Pretty impressive that a non-speaking character can convey the emotion of shock/disbelief/horror/absolute rage in a few seconds like that. And for us viewers who know the relationship between Han and Chewie it was totally believable I thought.
Poor Chewie. Still, he seemed to get over it pretty quick and looked cheery enough to be co-flying with Rey later on lol!  

Thundershot wrote:

One of the (many) highlights for me was seeing Nien Nunb again  :clap:

Yes!
Maybe he'll make a cameo in the Falcon too?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!   Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Episode VII The Force Awakens - your movie thoughts - ATTENTION - SPOILERS!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next