The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Empty
PostSubject: SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS   SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 am

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS 8tndof10

Report by Artoo_Detour

Introduction

First reported in July 2015, these repros were advertised by the seller on eBay as "a cheap and cheerful alternative whilst you maybe source original weapons..."
The repros were sold in batches of 25 and 50.

Original auction photos from the seller:

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Repro_10

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Repro_12

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Repro_11

Seller's description from the original auction:

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Repro_11

List of repros in the set

* Bespin blaster
* Rebel blaster
* Imperial blaster

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Bespin10

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Rebel_21

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Imperi27

How to spot them

On close inspection these are not going to fool anyone as they are so poorly moulded. The blasters nearly all feature 'blobs' and an uneven and irregular matte surface texture.

Colour

The Bespin and Rebel blaster are a dark blue colour while the Imperial blaster is much darker - almost black.

Flexibility

The blasters have no flexibilty and will break under pressure revealing a white inner plastic.

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Imperi28

Float test

The blasters all fail the float test and will immediately sink when placed in water.

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Place_10

SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS Place_11

Conclusion

Poorly moulded repros that won't fool anyone up close - but watch out for these placed in sub-standard auction photos. If in doubt always ask for close up pictures.

Acknowledgements

Walkie - additional research
Thargoil - Banner graphic
Original discussion link - Poorly moulded repros

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link)
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS   SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for this. I'm sure these will spread like wildfire to sellers trying to pawn them off.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS   SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 9:43 am

Finally had a chance to read the report. Well done to all involved. :clap:
Back to top Go down
jabbathefett
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
jabbathefett

PostSubject: Re: SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS   SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 2:05 pm

I am a collector that has to have the real thing without question. Thanks for the heads up on these.
Back to top Go down
Longshot
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
Longshot

PostSubject: Repros are ok   SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 2:48 pm

I know most other collectors hate repros, but I have no problem with them. They serve a purpose. I have over 4,000 figures and buying vintage weapons for every one would be insane. So about 1,200 have repro weapons for now. I would rather they have something than nothing.

Also, repro weapons help keep the price of real vintage weapons from getting too out of control. It is all supply and demand. Repro weapons offer the casual collector a cheap alternative. Rather than spending $40 for a black Leia blaster (the current price on ebay as of August, 2016), they can get one for $2. That means one less person fighting for the limited number of original vintage Leia blasters. Otherwise, the price for a black Leia blaster would be well over $100.

So every collector out there who is buying original vintage weapons and accessories should be thankful that repro weapons exist. The only people who should be against repro weapons are the ones trying to rob us collectors blind by charging $20 for a Han smuggler pistol. They want to charge more, so of cource they are against a cheap alternative.

That said, I am against fraud. I am against dealers trying to pass off repro weapons as a real ones. That isn't a problem with the repro weapons, but rather a problem with dishonest dealers. Of course they all then claim not to be an expert on the subject. Even some of the biggest Star Wars dealers on ebay will try to pass off repro weapons as real and then claim they had no idea. That drives me insane.

My one word of warning is "caveat emptor". Buyer beware. It is up to we, the collectors, to be able to spot fakes and not over spend for repro weapons. That's why I am so glad that sites like Imperial Gunnery exist to help fans.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS   SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 5:17 pm

I to have no issue with repo weapons and have bought bulk packs of mixed weapons I do drill a hole into them but for me I use them for custom figures mainly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS   SPECIAL REPRO REPORT - THE 'PLACE HOLDER' REPROS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1