The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robdogg3
New User
New User

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Empty
PostSubject: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Hey everybody, I'm not sure if this is a fuzzy memory or not  but I like many of you had the most memorable Star Wars Christmas circa 1977.  I was only 5 at the time and I'm not sure if the item I'm remembering is from that year or shortly after. Anyways I remember a lightsaber with a hollow plastic tube with a flashlight to light up a color tube that when you swung it it made the hollow tube end lightsaber noise. My older brother and I destroyed them within a week but I tried to find my recent memory on eBay and Google pics but could not definitively pinpoint the item... Can anyone confirm this item for me? Is it a unicorn item because I live in ohio where lots of items where made? ( as I found out on toy hunter on tv recently) I will always remember that Star Wars Christmas, I still have all my toys except the lightsaber and solos gun. My brother and I even sent in our 5 proof of purchases to get boba fet in the mail!  Excited for disneys attempt...
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 11:07 pm

You may be thinking of the Kenner 1978 inflatable light saber which was very cool I had one as well I was 11 when the movie came out oh the memories Smile.

Here is a photo of it hopefully it helps
Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Sw-lig10

And a link to Ebay where you can find them
Ebay link removed as per forum rules

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed eBay link)
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 7:27 am

Thank you for the reply, I did see the inflatable ones but that wasn't it. I remember the plastic bending and denting when we fought (which was non stop, lol). It had a lightsaber handle with stickers that took d batteries (maybe c) that lit up a tube. It had a color disk over the light. It was an opaque plastic tube that when the light turned on it looked like a red lightsaber. For all I know maybe my father made them for us, he has passed away so I can't ask.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 3:42 pm

now I think I know which one you mean they had so many different toys back then it's hard to keep them all straight lol. They had one that they called "The Force" lightsabers in green and red with a more solid tube that came out in the 1980's here is a photo I liked this one more then the blow up one myself. I believe they also had some collapsible blade ones as well.

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Ls10
Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Ls110
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 5:10 am

There was also 'The Force Beam' (which I had in '70's).

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy 0f4b7110

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Force-10

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Forceb10

:welcome:to TIG btw.

Last edited by cantina_patron on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 6:12 am

Nice pics of the Force Beam, Steve cheers

Here are two vintage ads for the UK Force Beam, distributed by Loydale. I noticed yours is distributed by Jack A. Levin and Assoc.
Ist ad is mine, 2nd Stef's. Both from 1978.
Love the cheesy artwork on these  Smile

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Mighty15

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy Sw_for11

and welcome to the forum Robdogg3 welcome
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 8:36 am

Wow you guys nailed it, as soon as I saw the pic of the force beam I knew that was it! The advertisement that had the chain offer on the back was familiar, I can remember seeing that as a kid, wow! Now I have to find one and surprise my brother with it thanks guys!!!!
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 8:42 am

As I looked closer it looks like the force beam chain advertisement was from Europe, fuzzy memories yes but I remember staring at all my Star Wars stuff and coming across a chain offer.... after all it was 37 years ago:)!
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 10:07 am

I'm pleased that we were able to help you. Very Happy

As a child I thought my saber was the real deal like all of my other Star Wars toys. It was only as an adult when I saw the licensed sabers that I began to question what I had (it took quite some time to find out). Like yours, mine was quite heavily abused and unfortunately I can't recall what happened to it. I'm now tempted to seek one out.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 12:28 pm

I think you started something now Robdogg3, I am also wanting to get one like I had when I was younger as well lol
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 12:33 pm

I just found both types on Ebay here is the link they are not cheap though

link removed.

Hi Larry, I removed your link. I already removed an earlier one, too. Sorry, no eBay links to any live auctions on TIG

Paul (ArtooDetour)

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed link)
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 1:16 pm

ooops sorry about that thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 3:23 pm

I had that same toy when I was a kid too :-) I'd been searching for one for years and finally managed to find one for my collection this past year.

They do pop up from time to time on eBay but not as frequently as the Kenner saber does. From the searching I've done finding one with the tube intact doesn't happen as often as I've seen just the handle part for up auction. I played around with the idea of getting the handle then finding an old plastic golf club tube to replace the missing part but tracking one of those down proved to be even harder to do and these days they seem to only come in black plastic.

The stupidly expensive one on eBay has been listed at its Buy it Now price for months so it obviously isn't worth what they are trying to get for it. The tube and handle might be in great shape but it's missing the sticker and hand guard -- from the auctions I have seen the hand guard is usually missing. It does have the end cap which is nice as those can be hard to find too. I've seen one or two variations in what they used for the end cap/tip and you can also find them with a similar flat cap in red plastic or with a rounded cap that matches the tube.

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more interest in this toy as, apparently, a lot of us owned one. I guess because it isn't a licensed product --and frankly it is on the cheap side-- it doesn't attract the interest that the Kenner toy does.

Good luck on your quest, I hope you find one soon!

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm

I seem to remember the end being open so when it was swung it made (sort of) that light saber noise. Lol it was so real at the time. Thanks again everyone. The search awakens....
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:04 am

I just checked out the one on eBay... $100. Man it's even unused with the color disc still taped to the handle! That's a bit more than I should spend especially after the holidays. The kid in me says buy it but the mortgage man over my shoulder says hold out for a lesser version! Lol.
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:13 am

Make offer option on eBay ?! I put in an offer, I'll let you know how it turns out. Now if I can find another maybe I can challenge my big brother again only this time maybe I'll win:)!
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 7:44 am

Smile made offer and got it! $55. Still a bit much but I got it!
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 7:57 am

Congratulations on getting it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 10:04 am

Awesome, well done!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Congrats cheers  When you can post pics in a few days get some pics up here.
Back to top Go down
Robdogg3
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Well just an update.. I got my Force Beam lightsaber and it was just as I remember for the most part. I made a hilarious vid to show my brother and when I swung it hard to make the whoosh sound the blade flew off! Lol. A lil super glue and I was back in business.
The obsession grows, I have since purchased a signature series FX Aniken Skywalker light saber. I have to say it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen LOL. I have since bought Darth Vader and am now looking into others. My question to the forum would be how many did they make and what is the rarity I think I saw only 1200 count Dooku's made?
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 8:48 am

Congrats cheers

The SWCA has a list Light Sabers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy   Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie..1977 Christmas memory - Light Saber toy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1