The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Chat system including Private Chat!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

New Chat system including Private Chat! Empty
PostSubject: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 12:42 pm

I am pleased to announce a more feature filled, traditional chat client for TIG!

This is an improvement over the standard chatbox we have here. It is a full featured, IRC based chat (for those that are curious). You do not need to install anything, just select your nickname and enter the room! Feel free to bump the topic if you want to.

There are many features which we will cover as we move forward, but there are two big things to point out:
1) Private Chats - double clicking a user's name will allow you to privately chat with that user. No more using the PM system to have quick conversations if you both are online. :)You can toggle between the main chat room and user(s) at will (click the names above the chat window to change).
2) TIGBOT - a permanent user (AKA a 'bot') that will sit in the room and respond to users input and questions. Pay attention when you first join to get an idea on how he works. It is just a nice way to help users find info here on TIG.

Below the chat window will be some help to guide you if you should need it.

So without further ado, feel free to join the chat!

Every once in a while it will not connect, so simply refresh the page!

IRC BASICS:

• just type in the window to chat in the room for all to see.
  • To chat with someone privately, double click on their name and it will open a new window/tab on top where you can chat just with that person.
  • You can toggle back and forth between any private chat or the main room any time you want by clicking on the name above the chat window
  • to change your nickname anytime, type /nick Your-New-Nick
  • To CLEAR the window of all text, type /clear
  • To leave, simply close the tab or browse somewhere else or you can type /quit
  • to rejoin the channel reload the page and connect again.
  • Text formatting options can be viewed by clicking the << on the bottom, far right of the IRC chat window

ITIGBOT
TIGBOT is a bot that lives in the channel. There are some commands you can send the bot at anytime that it will respond to you either in the main chat room or via a private message.
You can send the commands in the main chat room and most can also be sent in the private chat window. Test it out!
TIGBOT COMMANDS (he will announce them all to you when you first join a room).
Just type what you see in !BOLD, including the exclamation point, and hit enter.

• !menu (this shows the main sections he knows about)
  • !help followed by a basic question (!help me figure out what figure variation this is)
  • !search followed by any search term you want and TIGBOT will give you a custom link with all results from TIG (!search leia bespin limelight)
  • !news (tigbot tries to keep up with the latest news and posts from TIG, StarWars.com, TheForce.net and rebelscum.com)
  • !rquote (just spits out a random quote from the original trilogy)
  • and there are more hidden funnies if you are bored or want to slap the bot Wink

Once you learn one of TIGBOT's trigger commands, you can enter them at any time (examples: !ledy or !fotw or !repros)

REGISTER YOUR NICKNAME (optional!):
If you want to register your name on the server so no one can take it, click on the STATUS tab and type in the following:
/msg NickServ@services.dal.net REGISTER Your-Password your@email.com
It will ask you a question to make sure you aren't a robot and to reply like so:
/msg NickServ@services.dal.net REGISTER Your-Password your@email.com YOUR_ANSWER
It will email you a final confirmation which you can copy and paste into the window and your are done.

USING YOUR NEWLY REGISTERED NICKNAME:
Once you log in again with a registered nick, you need to identify yourself by typing in the following:
/msg NickServ@services.dal.net IDENTIFY Your-Password
or to save time and energy, copy and paste the first part:
/msg NickServ@services.dal.net IDENTIFY
and type your password at the end and hit enter.

Cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 12:42 pm

RESERVED
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 7:40 pm

looks good Smile
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:18 am

Jason, well done. :clap:  It looks interesting, when I have a few moments, I'll sit down and give it a try. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:41 am

Smile

hehe ..... obviously chat is better when there are more than one person in it. Wink

The bot can be both useful and fun if you are bored of course.

I have noticed when people join they don't interact with the bot (i.e. typing !menu to see things it can assist with) which is 100% fine since what it can help with is just finding topics on TIG which I am sure most of us that have been around for even a short while, are already familiar with.

I'll be sitting in the room as much as possible and relying on a few things to alert me when new people join, so I hope to say hi and see if anyone has any questions as much as possible but sometimes I just don't see new people joining and/or am tied up or simply away, but during this week during the days in the US, I will try.

If anyone does poke around and has thoughts or suggestions about improving, streamlining, messages or any ideas what so ever, please post up or PM me. Smile

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 7:51 pm

I keep popping question will the beeper aleart thing that lets you know someone joined will that go off if you are in the forum area just wondering
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:28 am

arohk wrote:
I keep popping question will the beeper aleart thing that lets you know someone joined will that go off if you are in the forum area just wondering

arohk,

Good question and one I didn't think of.

Well, yes and no and no.

The embedded client is software I did not create (CGI:IRC), but the folks that did write it claim that if you use Internet Explorer, there is an option you can enable.
The option exists for every browser, but apparently only works with IE for some odd reason.
New Chat system including Private Chat! Beep10

Click the hammer in the top right to open options and then click the box for 'joinsound'.
This will only need to be done once (your choice should be saved as a cookie to remember it).

OK, with that said, my version of IE did not beep on anyone joining. Sad
However, I left the chat open in an IE window by itself in the background and any time someone entered the room, the Internet Explorer window 'jumped' to the foreground to show me the room. I heard no beep but I knew when someone entered.
This might work on other versions of IE, but mine (version 11.1.9600.17107IS) did not.

I will investigate other options for the client that perhaps have this feature (which is cool and useful) but in the meantime, it is what it is.  Neutral 

cheers, Larry.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 10:14 am

I'm too dumb to work this  unsure 
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 10:20 am

aussiejames wrote:
I'm too dumb to work this  unsure 

Hey AJ... I said hello but you jumped off .....

What's your question?

For normal chat, just enter text in the box on the bottom.
To chat to a user that is online, just double click their name and that opens a private chat with them and enter text in the box.
To play or interact with the bot, use his commands (all one word and start with an exclamation point like !menu or !help or !fotw or to search TIG type "!search leia bespin limelight" (no quotes) and he'll show you a custom search on the forums with results.

I'm in there now if you have any questions.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Another question before when there were people in the old chat area all you needed to do was go to the bottom of the home page and see where it said There are currently 0 user(s) on the ChatBox : is there something like that or going to be something like that or is it just pop in and see if someone is there. hope this makes sense.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 6:40 pm

arohk wrote:
Another question before when there were people in the old chat area all you needed to do was go to the bottom of the home page and see where it said There are currently 0 user(s) on the ChatBox : is there something like that or going to be something like that or is it just pop in and see if someone is there. hope this makes sense.

Another good question.

Right now that is not possible, but I am looking into it.
If it is possible, I will get it done and let everyone know.

Good idea! It would be nice to have that feature. Smile

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 9:23 am

OK.

Larry/Everyone....

You can now see how many people are in the chat before entering. It is updated every minute. Smile

The info is right above the login details.  cheers 

I have also added an international server choice as well.
It is a drop down choice right after you choose your nickname.

Prior to this addition, everyone was using a US based server so speed across the world may impact your experience of not being or feeling real time.
You can now choose from: AU, US, CA, EU & UK servers. However, even if you choose one close to you, you still may have better results on a different server (proximity does not equal speed some times). So feel free to try a couple to find the one you like the best.

Just click the drop down and select your country before entering.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 1:07 am

cool that we can see if anyone is in the chat now Smile
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey bud another question/idea is there a way the chat could be moved to where the old chat use to be at the bottom of the home page I notice if I hit that one it brings up the old one not this one. I am thinking it would be easier to see who is on and to just go into it without having to go through all the topics to find this thread or is there one already that I may have missed.

Thanks
Larry
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Bump Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Set it up so Android users can get in. That was my problem last night apparently
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Chat system including Private Chat!   New Chat system including Private Chat! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Chat system including Private Chat!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1