The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Weapon guide----an attempt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Silly question time.

Has anyone ever tried contacting kenner/hasbro regarding the manufacturing processes used, more specifically details of the tooling?
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 12:36 pm

General Kahn wrote:

HK Large - V1, V2, V3
HK Small - V1
MIHK - V1, V4/5

This of course instantly throws everything into the mix  :scratch: 

The V4/5 mold appears to be European in origin, which would match it with all the MIHK figures with the exception of the Blonde unaltered one, which was exclusive to the U.S. and so wasn't issued with this Euro variant. The V2 & 3 sabers have also been called Palitoy sabers but this is inaccurate as they can be found on Kenner cards as well as Palitoy cards.

There is of course 4 actual saber molds (5 including that random one you have Wolff) only three COO molds though.

Are you sure it is actually 4 or 5 sabers molds on Luke Bespin???

Is there any of those that only appeared since ROTJ?? We have to keep in mind that Luke Jedi shares some of those....or does Luke Bespin share some with Luke Jedi??? Very Happy:D
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 1:05 pm

@ Marco:

why does your Mec rubbery cane have EPM??? Wether Walkies, mine nor AJ's have EPM  :scratch: :scratch: 
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 1:31 pm

wbobafett wrote:
Are you sure it is actually 4 or 5 sabers molds on Luke Bespin???

The difference between V2 & V3 is the placement of the buttons:

New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Hilt_c11

The problem is, that this button placement is usually only different on one side. Basically one side is low the flip side is the higher. This is not always the case though, sometimes both sides are the same. I used to think that the differences where also the colour, normal and neon, however this can appear on either.

Is it then likely that both the V2 & V3 came from the same sprue and are essentially the same mold?

This would then reduce the number of Bespin Luke saber variants to 3 the same as the COO families.

Of course there is still this one of yours?????

New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Lights11

So lets change the picture to just the three:

New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Hilt_c14

The new chart looks like this:

HK Large - V.1, V.2
HK Small - V.1
MIHK - V.1, V.3

:scratch:
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 1:34 pm

wbobafett wrote:
@ Marco:

why does your Mec rubbery cane have EPM??? Wether Walkies, mine nor AJ's have EPM  :scratch: :scratch: 

Don't know Wolff. Trying to get an explanaiton as well.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 2:15 pm

@Marco....will need to check if there is other rubbery ones not belong to Mec...maybe it got mixed up??

@Alex:

I wanted to understrike the fact that some of the molds were also used for Luke Jedi...maybe we have 4 molds because one Luke jedi slipped in?? Could be if one of the sabers didnt appear before ROTJ

On the other hand: If you think the neon one appears in both molds (circles up and down) then they are indeed from the same sprue and therefore one mold!...havent checked yet but you are better in those anyway..LOL

Forget my example.....I tend now to believe it couls be repro..though Sad Sad Sad

I mean snt it starnge noone ever found a second one?? Okay...this is also starnge thinking about repros... :scratch: :scratch: 
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 2:40 pm

V.1 and V.2 definately came before ROTJ and I'm also 99% certain the V.3 did as well.

The V.1 and V.2 where used for Luke Jedi green saber also and the V.3 for the Ledy, there is that picture of the V.2 blue, but I'm not sure if that's confirmed? In the picture the blue saber has exactly the same flaws as the green one shown, mold flaws or just a very good cast from the green one?  :scratch:

New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Lights12
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 2:47 pm

General Kahn wrote:

In the picture the blue saber has exactly the same flaws as the green one shown, mold flaws or just a very good cast from the green one?  :scratch:

New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Lights12

Or they just used blue plastic in the same mold. And perhaps slightly different plastic material which makes it look a tad different in the way it filled the mold cavity and/or retained its form during cooling.

At least that appears to be the case with the Princess blasters Black/Blue and Blue.
My thoughts are these molds weren't re-created for Bespin or Hoth Leia, just different color and/or material plastics were used.

That would be my best guess as it would be cheaper to re-use than re-create.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 3:04 pm

The other thing of course is, more weapons where probably produced than figures. The figure mold would produce 2, 3 or sometimes 4 figures with each injection, as can be seen by the 'Earth Find' weapon sprues much more where produced at a time (8 Rebel Blasters, 10 Sabers).
I appreciate that they could maybe for example inject one lightsaber sprue for every 5 Luke mold injections, so there would be 10 figures and 10 sabers, but it's more likely that they produced much more weapons than figures as they are easily broke and lost, and they always had spares for the 'Kenner Really Does Care' please send me a new saber as I broke mine letters.

I can't even remember where I was going with this, but if any of that makes sense then make of it what you will Smile
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 pm

I've unearthed my POTF moc's with Endor blasters.

A-Wing Pilot - black blaster 'thin' (as stated by Wolff) with HN factory mark next to the POP & 'Made In Hong Kong' printed.

B-Wing Pilot - blue blaster 'flat' with HT factory mark next to the POP & 'Made In Hong Kong' printed.

Imperial Gunner - black blaster with 'L' (as stated by Wolff) with HG factory mark next to the POP & 'Made In Hong Kong' sticker. On another example I had, I carefully lifted the sticker, and from memory it had 'Made In China' printed underneath (I'll try to find the pics).  

IMO having three different sculpts linked to three different factory marks is a good sign. It will be interesting to see what others come up with.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow (if the light is good enough).

Last edited by cantina_patron on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 3:16 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
I've unearthed my POTF moc's with Endor blasters.

A-Wing Pilot - black blaster 'thin' (as stated by Wolff) & HN factory mark next to the POP.

B-Wing Pilot - blue blaster 'flat' & HT factory mark next to the POP.

Imperial Gunner - black blaster with 'L' (as stated by Wolff) & HG factory mark next to the POP.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow (if the light is good enough).

cheers cheers cheers  THANKS FOR THAT

@ Alex:

This picture is floating around since years and believe me I moved mountains to find that blue saber!!! I do not belive it is real anymore (meaning a production saber) Sad

Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 3:24 pm

No problem Wolff. I think this is a great idea for a project & hopefully you'll get a very good response from the moc collectors.

BTW the B-Wing pilot has the copyright info on the figures left leg.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 9:44 pm

I fully support this. Smile

It would help us identify the real weapons from the bootlegs one more easily but at the same time it would help bootleggers get more accurate with the weapons and fool more people.

its a fifty/fifty situation... in my opinion.

But i am a sucker for minute details on some stuff.... not for buying purposes but for historical reasons. Its always fun to see " how its made" and " where its made".

I am not into variants so i cant be of much help. Sad

good luck with this project. It would make TIG even more the definitive site to visit for your information needs.

2 thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 5:59 am

Here's some pics of the Endor blasters I described yesterday. I'm not happy with the quality, but hopefully they show enough detail to confirm what I said.

POTF A-Wing Pilot
New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Dscn6735

POTF B-Wing Pilot (copyright info on figures left leg)
New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Dscn6736

POTF Imperial Gunner
New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 Dscn6737

When I checked my loose childhood figures (which came on Tri-Logo cards), they have the same accessories. I must admit that when they were released, I no longer played with them so that would account for it.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 6:40 am

Come on guys, where are the other moc collectors to help with this project?

Which weapon are you looking to do next Wolff?
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 7:16 am

cantina_patron wrote:
Come on guys, where are the other moc collectors to help with this project?

Which weapon are you looking to do next Wolff?

Thnaks for the pics mate!! Awesome!

I think we should move these to the library....I will open new threads for each "sort" of weapon.

I have also done some new shots....mainly of ewok stuff because I am just sorting and displaying the "Endor" right now...LOL

I also have emailed Oli who will gladly help with his Biker focus. I just need to do a pic of how he can spot the different coos from the front Very Happy

I also just finished (nearly) another three ESB sheets...so I am busy at the moment..LOL

Best

Wolff
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 7:23 am

Cheers Wolff. I think the distorting effect of the bubbles affected the quality of the pics, but as long as they helped, I won't worry too much.
I don't have a huge moc collection, but I'll continue to contribute where I can.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 1:44 pm

THREAD STARTED:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6777-weapon-guide-20-masterthread

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Weapon guide----an attempt   New Weapon guide----an attempt - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Weapon guide----an attempt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2