The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Are these sabers real?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

Are these sabers real? Empty
PostSubject: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:28 am

Can any one tell me if these look repro or real? I've had a hard look at the weapons pages here and can't tell for sure. I'm thinking of buying these (for about $10 ea) and just wanted some advice since it's at the upper end of what I am willing to pay.
Pics aren't the best but it's all I've got to go on:
Are these sabers real? Left10
Are these sabers real? Right11

and this one too (I think it's Top Toys but maybe it's glasslite???) And how much is it worth buying for if it's real? It has a "B" on ther hilt:

Are these sabers real? Lili10

Thanks in advance, - Julian
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:38 am

Hi Julian

The bottom pic looks like a Lili Ledy Vader saber (having a letter is a very good sign). I'm not sure what a fair price is for that though.
The yellow saber with the rounded thick end (bottom left) looks ok. The other 3 look rather glossy to me. unsure

Last edited by cantina_patron on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:43 am

It would be sweet if it is a LL Vader saber ( Because I need one) but I think the transition is too round... from what I've seen of the LL the transition is a bit square and very short/sudden with a thicker tip and most often white stress mark at the transition point. I am no expert though. Does anyone know what these might be worth? The thick tip is going for around $24 and the others are $10ea...
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:49 am

The 'Ledy' saber looks identical to my MIM MOC example (but I'm sure Marco or Ozio will confirm). The white stress marks are from where the tip has been bent at some point, so only seen on used / played with examples.

If other members believe all the other sabers are real, IMO $10.00 each is a good price.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 6:49 am

If they are real $10 is a good price. I need a yellow and a blue and would pay that with no problem.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 8:51 am

Tough to say from those pictures, but if I were buying and I couldn't get new pictures, I would only pickup the round-tip transition yellow and the Ledy Vader (I believe it is too).

Of the other three flat tip transitions, the red and blue look the same - meaning, to me they appear identical which I find odd. And as stated above, the flat tips seem too shiny, especially the yellow one.
I'm no Vader nor Ben expert (or Luke for that matter Wink ) but all three of those look off a bit.

The picture of the blue saber where the tip is pointing right, looks almost like a revalveit DT (back side of pic shows what could be the empty cavity) and the tip is very thin.

A point to note is however, that all three I would pass on by the looks of the images alone are flat tip transitions which I have yet to see repros of in hand (they are normally round tip transitions) aside from the DTs of course.

Can you get better pics by chance?

As for price........ $10 for a regular saber is great and $25 for a Ledy is acceptable.

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 am

The vader one is 100% not Glasslite or Top Toys, both those have very unique noticeable features.

As mentioned above it's most likely Lili Ledy, in which case $25 is ok'ish but it's not the rarest of figures at it also appeared on the kenner MIM cards.

As for the others at $10, I've pay that if legit.
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks guys, for your knowledgeable input. It's great to have this community to help get clarity. I think I'll hold off on the Ledy since it's only an average deal and see if I can snag the other sabers on a small gamble. If they turn out to be legit I'll offer two of the four here at cost (since I only need two of them). Plusses for everyone. Cheers- Julian
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 3:06 pm

hmmm.....those minty flat transition sabers seem to pop up more recently these days!

The problem is: I never heard or saw flat transition repro sabers!! ANYONE??

I would be really curious about that, because a flat transition was always bullet proof to me!!?? Am I getting old??
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 3:41 pm

the LL one looks like mine as well the rest hard to say from photos
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree with Steve the bottom yellow round transition saber looks to be genuine, $10 is a good price.
The others look a bit dodgy to me.
The last pic is definitely a Ledy saber, you can usually pic these up for around $20 on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-Darth-Vader-Original-Lightsaber-B-Lettered-Hilt-/291067915158?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item43c4ffeb96

There was this saber on sale on ebay last March, that was claimed to be repro, and had a flat transition tip:
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5549-reproduction-luke-ben-lightsabers-from-yellow-blue-plastic-molds

Also this pic is from the gunnery reference website of a painted repro, which looks to be a flat transition tip saber.

Are these sabers real? Ben%20Saber%20REPRO%20V1

Julian, if those top sabers are painted, it would explain the glossy appearance
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Both the Vader sabers are real.
The flat tip saber has a small indentation near the tip, good sign.
The thick tip saber is 100% LL, letter B is also a good sign.
$10 per saber is a bargain.
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 3:51 am

Oscar is right, I missed that indent  Embarassed 
here is my genuine indented saber:

Are these sabers real? Saber_zpsb0a45727
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 am

I have a few of those indented ones...so happy to hear they are real.

I seem to always have mixed zup flat and round transition on the repros....Dooooooohhh..

So now I am totally confused. has anyone pictures of all MOLDED (not the painted ones) repro single telescoping sabers around?? I am afraid I have some in my collection Sad Sad Sad

Thank you very much

Wolff
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm

I have them coming to me in the mail... Give me some pointers for testing them and I can post my pictures and findings or I'll gladly send them to you for inspection if you can test them for authenticity. Just let me know. I've had my doubts about some "flat transition" sabers recently and would love to add to the library of information if I can.
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 9:07 pm

As seen in the TIG Sabers section the round transition type saber was faked a while back, first painted then moulded (by revalve-it) but now  I found some old repros I bought 6 years ago that are flat-transition  Crying or Very sad ... I started another thread in the watch-out section. Maybe this is Pandora's box but I want to share what I can find out...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are these sabers real?   Are these sabers real? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are these sabers real?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1