The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! Empty
PostSubject: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Rumors are flying that Hasbro may be moving away from the 3.75" scale and going just for the 6 inch line.

what do you think?
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Near?!?! 3.75" figures for me ended in the 80's Wink
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm with Stef Cool 
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Sorry Bud, it ended in the 80s for me too lol

As for modern stuff, I guess it's just marketing. I assume the six inch line will be just as much fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:24 pm

I am dipping in both vintage and modern stuff... The 2010-2012 TVC line is what got me into getting the Kenner toys. But nowadays Hasbro is really messing things up. You will know what i mean if you follow modern collecting news.

The only thing modern that i collect right now are the 6 inch figures because they are simply fantastic ( my opinion ). The rest of the other star wars toys are either garbage ( at this time ) or Hasbro is price gouging with a nostalgia tax ( example. reissue of the falcon, x-wing, slave 1 ) in new vintage style boxes but those exclusives to store are way too expensive. I was planing on getting the x-wing but 80$ a pop. i might as well cough up the difference and get a real vintage one in a beat up box.

Modern collecting is pretty bad right now....
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:30 pm

I have to say that I stopped the modern figure collecting relatively quickly after they started releasing the same figures on a different color card, so I dont have any modern stuff I buy at all. I did finally see some of the 6 inch back in black figures at Target the other day and they do look awesome, but Target retails them at $20 a piece. So I may pick up a few here and there of some I really like or something, but I would not collect them as in get them all with the varants that may be made. If I did buy them I would only buy them to open them for fun. I have a 5 year old that I would love to get sucked into star wars and these look like they might be the way to do it.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 10:07 pm

what i like about the 6 inch line is that the waves are small so 4 figures is not going to break your wallet too much if you buy just one of each. I know they are 20$  or 23$ in canada but they are worth it. i cant say enough good things about these.

i agree that buying the same figure on different cards borders on insanity but i guese the modern collectors are into that. For me the neo-vintage line was the next best thing after missing the kenner toys and that is why i got a lot of them.

But now the 6 inch line is a completely different ball game. I think its gonna get big pretty quick. By end of year there will already be 8 figures produced and there is already some more coming up... like the stormtrooper etc... I think that Hasbro as promised to focus more on the OT on this line so we might get most of the original 93 done if all goes well. I dont think that variants will exist as it would cost too much for Hasbro and it would make collectors whine that hasbro is abusing their wallets with variants.

I also think that Hasbro's ultimate plan is to scrap the modern 3.75" line in favor of the 6 inch line for a lot of reasons that make sense but would infruiate the 3.75" collectors, i think it is going to be a progressive thing. (switch over to the bigger line ) Fans are always asking for better 3.75" figures but i think Hasbro as reached a point with them that you cannot improve on them without raising the cost. By having a bigger toy to work with, it is easier to paint and produce thus saving money to Hasbro. Working on mass producing miniatures requires specialzed tools that can become costly...
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 9:44 am

I really cant see this happening, by scrapping the 3 3/4 figures they would alienate millions of long term collectors out there, that would hurt their bottom line a hell of a lot, i really dont think its going to happen.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 10:58 am

AussieFortuna wrote:
I really cant see this happening, by scrapping the 3 3/4 figures they would alienate millions of long term collectors out there, that would hurt their bottom line a hell of a lot, i really dont think its going to happen.
I agree. Hasbro are currently producing less expensive 'basic' 3 3/4" figures for the kids market, as well as the more articulated 3 3/4" for the collectors market. With at least 3 new films in the pipeline, I can't see parents paying $20.00 a pop for new figures in the 6" scale.
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 pm

They don't have any plans to scrap the 3 3/4 line. They know it is a staple for the hobby, and has been for over 30 years. That is why they have two different lines out there right now. They are feeling out how well the 5 POA stuff will sell, and maybe start shifting all figures back to less articulation. Maybe not 5 points, but less than we have now.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Problems is that right now. Fans want to have super articulated figures and its just not happening properly at a low price point. that's problems number one with the 3.75" line. I think Hasbro has hit their threshold on price versus quality with the fans.

Problem 2 is that Hasbro is trying to cut costs in any may they can. That means doing kitbash and repack and repaint again and cheapened versions of their toys. Basically you get the same figure painted a little differently on 10 different cards. This can only last so long before collectors start to complain and realize that they are not going to get any new sculpts or get anything better finally decide to quit. Look at the current black series. It is been documented that the new Black series line would have new sculpts and people have already found evidence that hasbro is already doing kitbash and repaint not even 2 waves in into the line...

The 6 inch line is new, the figures are bigger, better with all the articulation that you would want and even though they look expensive the price is not too far off than the current 3.75" figures. The line is not perfect but it is a good jump to something new and intriguing.

around here a current 3.75" figure is 10.99$ versus 22.99$ for the big one.

Id rather pay 22.99$ ( once or twice ) and get something brand spanking new and of higher quality than a lazily done repack.

Of course the 6 inch line does not lend itself to have playsets or ships scaled to that size of course. That is the sour point of that line. You just cant have any ships that are of large scale and people dont like that. People want and like the star wars ships etc so the 3.75" market lives because of that... but for how long?

i think that if the ships were not that important to fans that hasbro would have cut the line off already....
Back to top Go down
llseeker
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 am

I also believe that Hasbro will continue with the 3.75" line. They must be already licking their chops at the coming release of Episode VII.

Maybe they will focus on the 6" line for adult collectors and they will keep the 3.75" line for kids and young collectors that may have less money to spend on toys plus that way they can also produce playsets and ships.

Personally I don't even want to look at the 6" line because if I like too much then I would have to jump into it and only God knows how far will Hasbro go with it....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!   The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The end of the 3.75" Star Wars figures is near?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1