The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

AFC Display cabinets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mwilkinson
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
mwilkinson

AFC Display cabinets Empty
PostSubject: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:24 am

Hi everyone,

Well I have most certainly got the bug.  Having got the figures down out of the attic and having bought six more recently I can't help but want more.  Moreover I want to display them properly.

I have been looking through the net and have found some very nice display cabinets in the US made by a company called Action Figure Cabinets.

(I would include a link but I'm too new on the forum Crying or Very sad )

Has anyone got one of these and can comment on build quality vs cost?  Clearly importing to the UK is going to be expensive.

I love the 36"x70"x5" which can be made with in built LED lighting.

AFC Display cabinets GiantStarWarsDisplay

Any thoughts or opinions to offer?  I have asked for a cost delivered to the UK.  No doubt import duty will sting.  I think all in it will be a £2K proposition. Ouch!!
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:53 am

http://www.figuredisplay.com/
Looks awesome but wow that's a lot of cash. That's $1900 without lights.  Freight I would imagine would be $500 + import tax ( Vat or whatever you call it ) so like you said a 2K pound exercise.  There's no way I could justify spending more on the display than the collection itself..
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:09 am

Here's one Ryan made
BlueDog wrote:
Hey fellas thought I'd share some progress pics of a display cabinet I'm building for my loose collection. It's designed with shallow shelves to hold all loose figures as well as deeper shelves for my 12 back display stand and Jabba with throne, Wampa, Taun Taun and Dewback.

I'll update with more pics as it nears completion.

AFC Display cabinets 20130115_163552
AFC Display cabinets 20130115_163615
AFC Display cabinets 20130115_163626
AFC Display cabinets 20130115_163657
AFC Display cabinets 20130115_163641
AFC Display cabinets 20130115_163650

Door cut and rebated to fit perspex, hinges installed and everything's been sanded in preparation for painting.

AFC Display cabinets 20130116_164949

Undercoat done and gloss coat applied to inside, ready for top coat to the door and outside of cabinet, sucks waiting for paint to dry!!

AFC Display cabinets 20130119_181013
AFC Display cabinets 20130119_165943
AFC Display cabinets 20130119_214516

Black paint done just need to wait for it to harden before I can fit the perspex and the door to the cabinet.

AFC Display cabinets 20130120_145952
AFC Display cabinets 20130120_145945
AFC Display cabinets 20130120_150019

Mounting of the hidden brackets which allows the cabinet to sit flush with the wall with no visible fixings

AFC Display cabinets 20130121_140414
AFC Display cabinets 20130121_140530

Then just a matter of filling it, the fun part!

AFC Display cabinets 20130121_171053
AFC Display cabinets 20130121_171041
AFC Display cabinets 20130121_170906
AFC Display cabinets 20130121_170758
AFC Display cabinets 20130121_170842
AFC Display cabinets 20130121_170816

Lighting installed,

AFC Display cabinets 100_7618_zps84c9fb72
AFC Display cabinets 100_7619_zps7ccf5c3c

Funky colours and all,
AFC Display cabinets Col_zps4acab870

And here is the Timber Cut list and some basic construction plans, if anyone has any questions or would prefer a copy as a PDF please feel free to PM me anytime and I'll email them to you.

All measurements are in Millimeters, I can't for the life of me work out the conversion to inches
AFC Display cabinets Cabinet-plans_zps3232554c

This is for the timber mounting bracket for a flush mount to the wall.
AFC Display cabinets Mounting-brackets_zps755c3d4a

Thanks for watching  Very Happy

Cheers Ryan
Otherwise Ikea Detolf's with acrylic risers.
Back to top Go down
mwilkinson
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
mwilkinson

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:25 am

Your not wrong. That is one serious chunk of cash. They are made to order, so I may be able to get it sent unassembled as a flat pack and save money through constructing it myself.

I don't think I could really justify the £2K myself, but I can't find anything off the shelf anywhere near as nice as these.

Ryan's cabinet is very impressive, I wouldn't have the time or patience to create such a cabinet for myself.

Will wait and see what AFC say. But if anyone has found a nice UK supplier or cheaper international cabinet supplier I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:51 am

mwilkinson wrote:

Ryan's cabinet is very impressive, I wouldn't have the time or patience to create such a cabinet for myself.

you could fly me over & I'd build it for you & it'll still be cheaper!!!
Back to top Go down
mwilkinson
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
mwilkinson

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:55 am

aussiejames wrote:
mwilkinson wrote:

you could fly me over & I'd build it for you & it'll still be cheaper!!!
lol! 
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:01 am

Check the classifieds here on TIG, I see a cabinet for sale there & it's already in the UK Smile
Ikea also offers a ton of options as well. Good luck!
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6230-pine-figure-cabinet-fs-essexuk
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
mwilkinson
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
mwilkinson

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 3:36 pm

RetroRewindToys wrote:
Check the classifieds here on TIG, I see a cabinet for sale there & it's already in the UK Smile
Ikea also offers a ton of options as well. Good luck!
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6230-pine-figure-cabinet-fs-essexuk
Thanks for the heads up on this.

I'm not keen on the pine finish if I'm honest and would like something a lot more modern.
Back to top Go down
mwilkinson
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
mwilkinson

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Well I got the quote back for postage which comes in at $450. A little lower than first thought.

I asked about sending it as a flat pack and the said they didn't think it was viable, or would actually save me much.

They are going to see if they can get a lower quote from DHL.

I'm still interested. :I am stupid: 
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 10:24 pm

I am planing on making a few different display cabinets for loose and AFA graded figures When I finish hopefully this weekend I will show pics and price list on meterial so you can all get an idea of how to make some for your own. And trust me if I can do this anyone can I am not know for my carpentry skills lol.

I did however pick this up at micheals for around 40 dollars on sale it is big enough to hold a basic size figure like a luke hoth gear one it is nice looking also here is a link to it. it's the shot glass display case as you can see there are veriety of different ones there.
http://canada.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=products-framing-displaycases
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AFC Display cabinets   AFC Display cabinets I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AFC Display cabinets

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1