The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ROTJ 2-Packs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vin3po
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
vin3po

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:45 am

Hey fellow Compadres

Lets talk 2-packs , C-3po ones would you guess

So my question is how does one tell if its a RL or Original fixed limbs C-3po in a two pack ? supposedly both are in them and I would like to know how this can be confirmed ? the only way I can think of is manipulating the bubble if its not an AFA piece. Don't think there is any mold differences ? although i could be wrong here as I am by no means a variation expert ? maybe Wolff or any variation hunters can chime in on that one ?

I have already discussed this with David (Jimmy2pack) he is unsure also.

Thanks

Vince
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:50 am

If you could get them to turn over, the original has the silver metal bolt in the back and the RL has the faux plastic painted bolt in the back. I just don't know how easy it would be to get a look at the backs in the packages?
Back to top Go down
vin3po
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
vin3po

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:55 am

That is the only way I can think of but is it worth the hassle of having a back to front figure or even worse damaging the bubble. I have tried many times to turn Ackbar in mine but that is AFA graded and boy would it suck if I got him to turn round on my gam guard 2 pack and couldn't get him to turn back. Would annoy the hell out of me affraid

Thanks

Vince

Commander Clint wrote:
If you could get them to turn over, the original has the silver metal bolt in the back and the RL has the faux plastic painted bolt in the back. I just don't know how easy it would be to get a look at the backs in the packages?
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:13 am

That would suck if it got stuck or you couldn't turn him back. I'm not sure how else to tell the difference from the sculpt. Hopefully one of the guru's will chime in.
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Get a big magnet and see if you can get any connection through the back of the card with the steel screw, im all about great ideas even if they dont work lol.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 3:01 pm

From: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t2135p930-the-lili-ledy-discussion-thread-part-1

Dr Dengar wrote:
Around 2003, technical cards about Ledy figures, were published in the Mexican magazine Universo Star Wars. The reference card for the Ledy C-3PO mentions two versions for this figure. One having a normal head ('cabeza regular'), the other having a big head ('cabeza ancha').

ROTJ 2-Packs C3PO-2-low

Thanks to DelToro (muchas gracias Very Happy ), I could add a big head Ledy C-3PO version to my collection today. I immediately made some comparison shots with a regular Ledy C-3PO, as I was very curious to see the differences with my own eyes and then share it to you, guys.

There we go:

ROTJ 2-Packs IMG_6478

ROTJ 2-Packs IMG_6479

ROTJ 2-Packs IMG_6481

ROTJ 2-Packs IMG_6482

ROTJ 2-Packs IMG_6480

ROTJ 2-Packs IMG_6485

In the pic below you can easily see that the big head version has a larger width compared to the regular version. The height of the head is the same for both versions. Maybe pancake head would therefore be a better name for this version. Very Happy

ROTJ 2-Packs Dia1-35

I wonder whether the big head is the result of a different used steelmould. In that case, one could consider it a true sculpt variation, similar like Han small and big head.

Or might the big head be the result of some kind of plastic deformation during the production process, after the head was cast and removed from the steelmould? Similar like the two legs of one figure can have differences in lengths sometimes.

Ok let the discussion begin! Cool

What do you think? Pancake head, true variant or just a factory error?

Just share your ideas, please.

wbobafett wrote:
If I may add some thoughts:

1. I have saved a few pictures of this so called "big head" variant over years. I think its not even nearly as rare as the 1978 R2!!!! I have also one myself and honestly just noticed because of the recentz ebay auctions!...LOL

2. I dont would call him a variant! I havent checked but IMO this just looks like a head from a rem limbs 3PO. So it would be sth that got mixed up and therefore a factory error.
I havent checked closely but will do soon.
Even though it is not abot mixing up heads it is a factory error because it just makes no sense otherwise. It must be some deformation while producing this one! (Could imagine pullig it out of the steelmold too soon)
It absolutley makes no sense to have
a) a unique mold for that while producing normal heads.....besides LL has no unique molds (besides MIM figures)
b) introducing this unique mold between three-line coos and later 2-line coos. So changing the mold all the time
etc, etc

....its a mixed up head or an factoy error to me!

3. The big head not always has a hole in the back. And whole in the head is also existing with small heads!!!

wbobafett wrote:
I had a few minutes. Here is what I have:

1. REM. Limbs
One has chubby face, one has slim face

2. Fixed limbs
7 have small face one has chubby face

My guess is still: The heads got mixed up between those 3PO variants! The chubby head from the rem and the fixed limbs figure are the same mold. Same on the slim faces on both figure variants!

I really would say these are just mixed up heads! It even woukld make sense that these seem more rare on the fixed limbs because the rem limbs was only produced later. But that I also have both head variants on the rem 3PO makes it 99,9999% for me: Mixed up heads!

(well and if not.....I have them both on both figures Very Happy )

Hope that helps!

Sorry for the long introduction. Very Happy

The take home message is that the Lili Ledy "pancake" head version is probably nothing more (and less) than a mixed up figure composed of a regular C-3PO body and a RL C-3PO head.

Why I am telling this?

Cause Lili Ledy used the same molds as Kenner to produce their regular and RL C-3PO figures. So it is safe to assume that the head of a RL C-3PO is always bigger, more like a pancake.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
vin3po
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
vin3po

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Marco

Superb Information mate , didn't know this and of course other information I like to track down other loose
Ledy Variations. I was aware of the different Ledy's but not the Big head variation. I did know about the one with the hole in the back as nearly bought one before but unfortunate I had to pull out of the deal at the time unless the seller could have held it for me due to personal reasons but he never got back to me which answered the question.

Thanks for the information I am going to study my 2-packs very close to see if can figure anything out.

cheers

Vince

p.s Pm coming Marco.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Vin

Didn't they stop making the regular limbs C3PO around a 45 bk? I ask since the 2 Packs were primarily overstock items. I'd think the regular limb would've been out of production for a while, no?
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
vin3po
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
vin3po

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Well John that's what i would have thought but apparently there is fixed Limbs in some which i find hard to believe but I guess if they had some fixed limbs left over they could have ended up in the two packs am really not sure ?

I will go and get the list which was supposedly made buy Gus and Duncan am sure its on the archive ? let me double check my info ? if true my next port of call is Gus. Have spoke a few times recently about another c-3po item so should be able to reach out to him.

the ones known are

Return of the Jedi 2-Pack (C-3PO Original & Leia Boushh)
Return of the Jedi 2-Pack (Bib Fortuna & C-3PO Original)

cheers

Vince
Back to top Go down
vin3po
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
vin3po

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:19 am

Well guys after a bit of investigating with several different magnifying glasses and lights I have answered my own
question.

Now who wants to sell me there's before I divulge the information lol!

So after looking at all my 3po baggies which is mostly a complete collection apart from the Rare white text only available with Special offer Land speeder and Star Wars D baggie which Is included in items I have on hold oh and the Red Sticker Macau Baggie.

Anyway back to point so I did try a magnet on all my Original baggies and it did not work. But law and behold I tried a very strong magnet and it works Very Happy Even works with my AFA Graded ones. So out comes the two packs and 2 my surprise both the following pieces have Original fixed Limbs C-3po's :cool laugh: With a small amount of moving tnem around you can just about see the Metal Stud or screw ? at the back of Golden Rod. I even had a good laugh while doing it as I got Gam & 3po to hold hands and who said he's a Gay Robot rofl

ROTJ 2-Packs 76484D4F-A322-449D-AA50-5422F4F06DBE-1616-000000FA79ACF03B

ROTJ 2-Packs 3AE20677-09C0-47FF-9BB9-FC54EFAF8E69-1616-000000FA81D1C6B0

So thanks John for my Gam & Original c-3po 2-pack. I wonder if my Old one was the same.

Just don't ask me why I have so many magnets and Magnifying Glasses that's another storey :scratch:

Thanks

Vince
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Kudos for AF for coming up with that great idea to use a magnet and Vince for making it work!!! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
vin3po
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
vin3po

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Haha Brillant Stuff Marco

The Magnet worked Fool lol!

And Aussie my bad forgot to thank you also ! You know I totally forgot about the Metal Screw
And plastic difference with the different molds !

I also Noticed some Interesting Coo differences with all my baggies aswell with both RL and fixed limbs and different baggies ! Man that's all I need to become a Variant collector :I am stupid:

Can you re mortgage a focus ?

Thanks

Vince

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:51 am

Congrats man!! That's even cooler knowing it's an original. It really makes you wonder why they had a bunch of original C3POs laying around though. Certainly odd.

On a side note, I'm changing you screen name to C3PMagnetO

(How Vince REALLY tested this)

ROTJ 2-Packs Magneto-xmen
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Sponsored content

ROTJ 2-Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROTJ 2-Packs   ROTJ 2-Packs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ROTJ 2-Packs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1