The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

List of lettered Lightsabers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

List of lettered Lightsabers? Empty
PostSubject: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Guys is there a list which contains the specific lettered Lightsabers for DV, Luke & Ben? I came across yet another in very nice shape and of course I'm scratching my head unsure

I am looking if anyone in the past has ever compiled a list? A-Z. Symbols/ Letters. A list from Kenner in the past or maybe a collector like one of you? I know I've read a thread on TIG pertaining to some specifics of them but have never seen a list containing each?

I have seen WTB post for specific lettered sabers too so there must be some knowledge of a list Suspect
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 pm

I haven't stumbled upon a list yet, but that sure as heck doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

If one doesn't exist, it would be easy to compile to start with folks here and a spreadsheet, but I find it hard to believe no one has compiled a definiteve-ish list so far. I know I read someone's post here (sorry I can't recall) who has a ton of lettered DV sabers already. I would figure s/he has a list of DV combos for sure.

FWIW: I am looking for 'J' lettered sabers for Luke, Ben & DV, but I don't know if they exist or not.
What I found interesting is my Luke DT is a 'JJ' and about a week or so ago, I saw another Luke DT lettered saber pop on eBay with 'JJ'. What is the odds that out of a possible 52 lettered combos that two DTs pop with the same letters? (I haven't heard of a AZ or ZA combo - they all seem to be a single letter or a letter repeated (A/AA F/FF, J/JJ, etc). )

So I am with you in curiosity... are there a set number of letter combos out there?

*edit to add*
I have been back in this for only 3 months or so and I have had Luke sabers pass my hands with F or FF at least 7 times.
Weighted?
Were certain letters released more so? Material/testing variations?
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:14 pm

an old list:
LUKE
left: *A* *C* *E* *I* *J* *M* *O* *Q* *S* *V* *FF* *JJ* *LL* *NN* *ZZ*
right: *H* *N* *R* *U* *W* *AA* *EE* *GG* *MM* *KK*

BEN
left: *A* *J* *O* *LL*
right: *B* *H* *L* *P* *Y* *EE* *GG*

VADER
left: *A* *X* *Z* *NN*
right: *F* *H* *I* *R* *U* *W* *Y* *AA* *GG*

Oscar (M4K3R1) has a Vader run
"Here are some of the letters i still need- B, BB, DD, F, G, NN, O, Q, T, V, Y, Z, ZZ
Also need Lililedy, lettered sabers for Darth Vader, here are the letters for Lililedy- M, P, R"

Last edited by aussiejames on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
flycasual
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
flycasual

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm

I've got a Luke left "HH".
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Shocked
Sooooooooooo....
It's not only lettered, it's what side of the hilt the letter is?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:43 pm

"The letters were used as a quality control method. The sabers were made by injection molding plastic into steel molds. The molds had multiple cavities. Each cavity was marked with a different letter. This allowed a quality control employee to identify a damaged mold when a saber wasn't formed correctly . This was a more important step when the saber molds were initially created to manufacture double telescoping sabers which were more prone to malformation during the manufacturing process. In fact this is likely one of the major reasons why the sabers were ultimately switched to single telescoping sabers. When the switch happened the original DT moulds were retooled forthe single telescoping sabers and the QC letters on the hilt remained. Presumably once the original moulds wore out,newer moulds were created specifically for the single telescoping sabers and were created without the QC letters.
Sabers can have letters on either side of the hilt because the moulds likely had 2 sides that mirrored each other. "
"regarding the left/right lettering it's because the molds were symmetrical which helps for even flowing of the plastic. Think it like looking at a tree. Since the lettering was put on only one half of the mold then sabers that faced right of center had the lettering on the right while sabers facing left of center had it on the left. So you'd have an even number of each type made during each cycle of the mold."

Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:50 pm

aussiejames wrote:
"The letters.......
Sorry I didn't search because I am between periods (NYR hockey game) but man, that is somewhat crazy!! So that does explain why when I look at one saber it is on one side but another might be on another so I want to assume one is a repro or something else.

Man, this hobby can more than make your head spin and give you hundreds of hours of research for a single detail.

Thanks!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 am

aussiejames wrote:
an old list:
LUKE
left: *A* *C* *E* *I* *J* *M* *O* *Q* *S* *V* *FF* *JJ* *LL* *NN* *ZZ*
right: *H* *N* *R* *U* *W* *AA* *EE* *GG* *MM* *KK*

BEN
left: *A* *J* *O* *LL*
right: *B* *H* *L* *P* *Y* *EE* *GG*

VADER
left: *A* *X* *Z* *NN*
right: *F* *H* *I* *R* *U* *W* *Y* *AA* *GG*

Oscar (M4K3R1) has a Vader run
"Here are some of the letters i still need- B, BB, DD, F, G, NN, O, Q, T, V, Y, Z, ZZ
Also need Lililedy, lettered sabers for Darth Vader, here are the letters for Lililedy- M, P, R"

@AJ- Thanks much for the knowledge. I was going to quote Oscar's WTB post, but decided not to, and was even going to pm him once I got home...a little while ago but man you answered like :run2: Laughing I did figure he also has some insight. Definitely thanks for that :clap:

@PsyberT -Man I was :buzzing: reading your thoughts and they were great! Thanks for joining in! cheers
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 am

I know that Rasmus Hult did a large study Of luke DT sabers a couple Of years ago i think he posted it up on RS
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 am

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I hope you all know that gathering those numbers is sensless???

From A to ZZ all letters can be found on all sabers. Simple as that!
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 am

wbobafett wrote:
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I hope you all know that gathering those numbers is sensless???

From A to ZZ all letters can be found on all sabers. Simple as that!

This post by the Grand Master Wolf, pretty much says it all.

All lettered sabers for, Ben, Darth Vader, Luke, can/should be found from A-Z, and AA-ZZ
There is also an odd one in the bunch, which is the letters BP.
So I guess it would be safe to say that 53 lettered sabers were made for each, Ben, Vader, and Luke.
Thats ALOT of saber hunting.
I am at 29 lettered sabers for Darth Vader, still need to find the rest.
My want list is for sabers i have seen examples of, and i know that they exist.
Also there are many letters i have not come across yet, or seen any of that particular letter, but i am sure they would exist.

Also......
Lili Ledy can also have lettered sabers. I have only found 10 single letters (A-Z) for Lili Ledy Darth Vader sabers. I have not seen any double letters (AA-ZZ) for Lili Ledy sabers. Not sure if Lili Ledy made double letters on there sabers.
So i guess.... you can add another 26 A-Z Lili Ledy lettered sabers, but dont quote me on that.

This info is based on what i have found during my own hunt for lettered sabers for Darth Vader, and is for single sabers only, not DT sabres.
I cant speak for DT sabers as i dont have any, but my opinion would be that this info would be the same for DT sabres.

Hope it helps you.

Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 am

Bear in mind also that it's not just letters, sometimes there is a 'dot' as well, you may have a letter on one side and simple dot on the other, r a letter followed by a dot. Butlike Wolff says, senseless really, but interesting all the same.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 12:15 pm

......BTW: with "gathering" those I ment document them, make lists etc.. It is obvious how many do exist.

If you have a focus and want to hunt them all....may the force be with you!....enjoy...it will keep you busy for a while! Wink
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Quote :
......BTW: with "gathering" those I ment document them, make lists etc.. It is obvious how many do exist.

If you have a focus and want to hunt them all....may the force be with you!....enjoy...it will keep you busy for a while!

Yes I kind of made it sound like that as well! But yes it makes for an interesting little focus project..... That said, it's actually probable an absolutely huge focus project.

P.S. Have a word with Pat (retrorewindtoys) He collects lettered hilts and has quite a few.
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:06 pm

I checked my bag of broken tip sabers and found a few that aren't on the list AJ posted :

Ben
(left side) - P , S(dot) , Z , FF
(right side) - I , CC , (dot)MM

Vader
(right side) - (dot)MM

for what its worth these are ones I can verify Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Starwizz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Starwizz

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Very Happy 

Last edited by Starwizz on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Well thanks all for your inputs. No doubt that this particular focus would be very challenging if I were to pursue it...or anyone for that matter. The Saber that got me to start this meeting is a Luke with a O(dot) left side, just another to add to a list when and if compiled.
-Cheers
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Need to clear something up.
In my above post, i mentioned that there is an odd one in the bunch with letters BP.
It was brought to my attention by some fellow collectors (Thank you Pat and Bill) that BP is only a "short shot" from factory.
In the process of the plastic being injected into the saber mold, the second B was not fully formed, causing it to look like a P.
In the interest of not providing false information to the community, i wanted to stress that the letters BP, is not a combination for lettered sabers.
Below is a photo of my ( NOT ) BP saber.
It was explained to me by the seller that this particular saber was graded spefically for the letters BP on the saber.
So it looks like the grading authorities have got it wrong in this case.

List of lettered Lightsabers? P4280006_zps0cc91ac0

No misinformation was intended from my part, only stating what looked like the obvious to me.
Hope that this helps clear things up.

Oscar.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Clearly a case of additional insights. Thanks for updating us on this, Oscar! Very Happy

So saber hunters don't need to hunt for a BP saber anymore.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Your welcome!!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:41 am

Quote :

Well Oscar, you did a much better job of clearing up the 'BP' situation that 'BP' did of clearing up that oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico Wink
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:53 am

General Kahn wrote:
Quote :

Well Oscar, you did a much better job of clearing up the 'BP' situation that 'BP' did of clearing up that oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico Wink

lol! lol!
At least this BP mishap didnt cost millions'zz to clear up.
Thanks mate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: List of lettered Lightsabers?   List of lettered Lightsabers? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

List of lettered Lightsabers?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1