The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures Empty
PostSubject: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:51 pm

I was fidging around with my Kenner Star Wars figures and noticed just how many of the designs seems to be directly inspired by an animal. Does a list exist siting the the various inspirations for each character/ creature? Is there a publication revealing these influences or were any of them sited in interviews with officials etc?

I found this site: http://bogleech.com/scrapbook/starwars.html, which sites from the Expanded Universe but that publication doesn't seem to have that particular purpose in mind.

Many characters and creatures seems to each have one particular inspirational source. Yakface, squidhead and walrusman titles their inspirational source.
The Ewoks main influence would be bears.
Amanaman belongs to a race apparently evolved from planarians.
Snaggletooth looks very much like like a Honey Badger.

I've also picked out Chewbacca, Hammerhead, greedo, Ugnaught, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot, Gamorrean Guard, Bossk, Ree-Yees, Jabba, Max Rebo and Droopy McCool

Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot looks like a shrew or maybe a mole.
Ree-Yees looks bovine.
4-LOM and Zuckuss definitely have some insect inspiration.
Droopy McCool looks like a mole.
Max Rebo is reminiscent of an elephant.
Ugnaught and Gamorrean Guard have some ungulate inspiration going on either boar or pig.
I always figured Chewie to be lion, canine or feline for sure. (EDIT: inspiration was an Alaskan Malmute owned by George Lucas)

Any info or suggestions to these themes? Does a thread already exist somewhere?

Cheers, Philip

Last edited by DenGrimmeRaeber on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:33 pm

This promises to answer a lot of questions. Still, any additional input greatly appreciated:

Animal Icons: Season 1, Episode 4
Star Wars Creatures (May 2005)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0797972/
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Yoda dog:
Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYC4qBQTCBKHiWaaCc2w8kjoYU2U6VxhXuboWCBCliRl1wi-72Is80Rrfc
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 am

Uh huh.
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 am

Greedo Fish ?

Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures Fish-l10
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:12 am

Barada a dog.

Yoda a cat?

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 am

Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Death Squad Commander, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Lando Calrissian, Bespin Security Guard (black & white),Dengar, Lobot, Rebel Commander, Imperial Commander, AT-AT Commander, Cloud Car Pilot, Rebel Commando, General Madine, B-Wing Pilot, AT-ST Driver, Rancor Keeper, Anakin Skywalker, A-Wing Pilot and the Imperial Dignitary all seems to bear an uncanny likeness to the Homo Sapians found on Earth Wink
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:18 am

Chewbacca, apparently was based on the Lucas' family dog, an Alaskan Malmute http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chewbacca. A resemblance I don't really see clearly. I would see maybe more of a Bearded Collie (I guess the lion thing was mainly due to hair really).
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 am

The Yoda dog is great (Halloween and costume parties must be a nightmare for that poor dog)!

Greedo does bear a lot of similar traits to various sea creatures.

Guess Barada could be a dog (a Bulldog or the like)

And of course the Homo Sapiens (missed the Emperor Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures 9cb4c_pope_evil_emperor_star_wars_emperor.pope Razz)
Were there by the way ever any asian characters? Definitely some inspiration in various creature designs but any actual human characters?
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 am

Scratch that last question: http://youoffendmeyouoffendmyfamily.com/star-wars-does-have-asians/
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Before the Empire extended it's budget, allowing for the purchase of Speeder Bikes, the old Scout's had to make do with the indigenous population, a couple of which look similar to the American Mink and the Stoat.

Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures Sany1110

Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures Sany1111
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Slimey ? My home this is ............

Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures Yoda-i10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures   Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Animal inspiration of SW characters/ creatures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1