The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Thinking of selling up / cashing in

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

Thinking of selling up / cashing in Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Anyone actually ever go through with the thought of calling it a day and selling everything? After limelighting I realized that I think I've peaked in a sense. The few items I'm chasing (POCH, 12bk Meccano,etc.) are going to be nearly impossible and frankly more trouble than it might be worth.

I'm seriously contemplating selling it all and maybe starting over from scratch. Maybe concentrate on something different , like just Harberts, or just "X" and sort of reinventing my collection.

Anyone think about it, actually do it, or do it and regret it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 pm

phew I was a bit worried when I saw the title.

Sometimes a change in focus is a good thing to keep the collecting passion alive.

If you do sell up, I'm sure many of us will look forward to following the progress of your new collecting goal(s). Cool

Is there an item in your collection that you could not bring yourself to part with?

It hasn't happened with vintage SW, but when some of my other collecting goals have been met I've moved the stuff on. So far I've had no regrets as the process of collecting gave more pleasure than owning the end result.

Back to top Go down
plantainman
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
plantainman

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Don't over complicate it.

If what you have doesn't "do it" for you anymore, then sell it. If you then feel you have a void, fill it with a new focus. If you end up back at square one again, then take up golf (if you already play golf, then just play more) Very Happy

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 pm

cantina_patron wrote:

Is there an item in your collection that you could not bring yourself to part with?

That's kind of the problem. I'd probably say I have 10 or so items I've almost no chance of finding again (unless I bought them back from the person I sold them to).
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Well, if you're in no hurry to sell, I'd hang onto the 10 pieces you're currently not sure about.

Alternatively, sell those 10 to me & I'll gurantee to sell them back to you (at a grossly inflated price!) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 pm

My feeling is if you look at a figure and it brings a smile to your face, it's worth keeping. But if you just feel indifferent about it, perhaps selling it to fund something that does make you grin is a good way to go.
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 pm

As you probably know i recently sold most of my MOC collection, I was 10 or so from a full set.

I was missing items like a SW Boba Fett, a Tri-Logo Yak Face which were just too expensive.

After a few months thinking about selling up I did, however I keep my first 12 MOCs as something to remember my MOC collection by.

I still have my paperwork & loose variant focus to play with Wink
Back to top Go down
GanjaFett
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
GanjaFett

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Yep, I've recently contemplated selling everything but my fetts but when I look at the other stuff, they still make me happy, so I'm not to that point yet John. I think financial necessity or complete disregard for something will be the only reason I sell up. Although I've found that if I consider trading something, selling it doesn't seem so hard, so I think I will trim some fat in the coming months.

It might not be a bad idea to start a side focus for a while. I did it with Resinators and paperwork and they have helped me get through some dry times with my other collecting habits.
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 pm

John,

To be honest, I have came "close" to selling everything and calling it a day.. I closed my eyes and visualized my room without my collection, then realized how much time I had invested, then changed the play and parted with the items I could live without. Almost three years later, I have very few regrets. Only you can make this call and we here at the forum will support your decision and probably line up for whatever you have to sale.. Good luck..
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am

Maybe John, make a list of the things that really mean something to you and make a list of the things that you could really do without, or things that you might have just for the sake of having.

Theres nothing wrong with spring cleaning mate, you might feel really good to sell some things that dont mean to much to you, might be good for the soul.

Ive never had the money for big ticket items so im not sure what it would be like getting rid of those, ive only ever collected for the fun of loose figures, so the most expensive things i have are Yaks, blue snags a vinyl and a few pre production pieces, so i dont really have the scope to think about 'cleansing' my collection, each and every piece means so much to me, i will keep them till the day im gone, i can fit them all in a double door glass cabinet and appreciate them.

But if i had a lot of things i couldt see to appreciate them i might thing about moving some on i suppose.

But whatever you do, sleep on it for a while, you mightnt get them back again.

cheers mate
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am

Hi John. I was going to PM you my thoughts but decided to just post them for others to read.
I would take a step back and give buying and selling a break for a short time (maybe a few weeks/month). I know it may be hard for you to concentrate on other things, considering you own TIG, but maybe focus on other stuff outside Star Wars. You may come back with a clearer head on what you want.
You know I sold off a boat load of stuff, some on the forums and some by private sales. My reasons were to add to my proto collection. I have no regrets. I did sell a few pieces that I will most likely never be able to find again. That's ok. So in short, I would suggest that if you consider selling your one of a kind pieces, know you most likely won't get them back. If you are ok with that, then by all means do what makes you happy. If you have any reservation now, don't do it and take some time, like I said, and see how you feel when you come back.... Regret can be a B@tch....
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm

We ALL go thru this kind of malaise after being into collecting for a while. It can be coupled with life throwing things at you, or just the feeling that you've gone as far as you can go, in your current direction. I know that one well. But every time I think it's time to sell it all, and maybe, or maybe not start again on a different end of the hobby, something draws me back to my original direction and renews my enthusiasm. I'd say hold off on making any mistakes that you might regret later, until you KNOW the direction you want to take things.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 am

Done it twice and now i don't regret it all. I got more cash in my pockets to buy more important things besides toys. In looking into buying a house finally so all my cash will go to that.
So no, its not nard to sell up and walk away from it.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:13 pm

I agree with Joe. It's something we all go through, but I've found an interesting way to take "breaks", but also
something that keeps my enthusiasm - I look at some of the cool, non-toy related items out there. There is
(literally) a whole new world of SW items out there that have nothing to do with toys. Watches, shirts, buttons,
pins, etc. The biggest advantage of this is not only does it renew my interest overall, but it is exciting to learn
about new collecting channels. (and, a lot of those aren't really that expensive)
However - I've certainly thought about selling in the past. For me, it's an all or nothing proposition. When the day
comes I'm no longer passionate about collecting Vader, I'm out. I've never had an interest in collecting any SW
outside of my focus, so I don't see myself moving onto another area of the hobby.

Bill
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm

store your stuff and see if you miss them,if not cash in but dont be to fast to make your decision Very Happy
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Ive thought about this a lot lately. Ive been tempted to sell up and have asked myself a lot of sole searching questions. Why do I collect? What do I enjoy most about collecting? Which pieces in my collection give me the most satisfaction. Funnily enough it was not the rare or expensive pieces. I've recently sold off a lot of my loose collection, downsized and refocused on the pieces I find satisfying. I've learnt alot about what collecting habits make me happy and what I do for compulsion or recognition. 

I've learnt a few lessons:

Collect what you really enjoy, not what's rare or valuable.

When collecting gets stale dont be afraid to take a break, downsize, refocus and spend some time thinking about other things in your life. Then come back stronger and with even more enthusiasm and enjoyment! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of selling up / cashing in   Thinking of selling up / cashing in I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling up / cashing in

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1