The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection Empty
PostSubject: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else has read this book? Just thought I would share. Very Happy
I've had this book in my collection for a few years now. It's not a vintage book, but it is a good read.
It gives some nice back ground information about how Kenner brought Star Wars to Canada by partnering with Irwin Toys, to become Kenner Canada. Published in 2000. It about 120 pages thick.

It has some interesting info about the GDE logo's, Sears Canada figures, Yak Face, the Wind Up R2-D2, etc..
In the author's foreword, he gives credit to Tom Derby for his contribution of pictures and Mr. Mac Irwin, former president of Kenner Canada.

Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection Dsc06027
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 pm

It's on my wishlist.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 am

Yes, i used too own a copy myself but for some reason sold it when i thinned out my book collection.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:54 am

i have it cheers awsome book! a must have for any cardback variant collector study all these types of books are geek these would be the last tings to go if i ever sold of everything.just waiting for a palitoy,or lili ledy or toltoys or harbert or clipper or takara/popy/tsukuda or bootleg book to come out.then i will add them to my book collection :clap: :Drool:

daren
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 6:28 am

Its on my wishlist too Cool
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 8:58 am

Quote :
It's on my wishlist.

I Second that! Been searching for that forever! Still after a copy of Meccano To Ti-Logo as well :I am stupid:
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 am

Quote :
I Second that! Been searching for that forever! Still after a copy of Meccano To Ti-Logo as well

It's still avaialble from Stephane's website..... http://www.meccano2trilogo.com/

Quote :
It's on my wishlist.

There's one on Amazon.com for $50

Back to top Go down
colpar
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Jim's book is fantastic !!! It's always a pleasure to read it and each time it is possible to find little details i missed.

There is a member on RS who's selling it, he's located in the Netherlands, might be interesting for european guys Very Happy

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1087777/

Wink
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 pm

I also second Jim's book as well. A number of years these were sold on RS for roughly $10.00 a pop. I jumped on the price and have read it many times. Sadly, I have never personally met at Celebration and I am not sure if he is "in tune" with the hobby anymore. Again, a great book.
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 pm

emperorburns wrote:
i have it cheers awsome book! a must have for any cardback variant collector study all these types of books are geek these would be the last tings to go if i ever sold of everything.just waiting for a palitoy,or lili ledy or toltoys or harbert or clipper or takara/popy/tsukuda or bootleg book to come out.then i will add them to my book collection :clap: :Drool:

daren

I would get all the books as well :-) I have this book and it is great . I have seen some of the rare stuff from the book pop up fs now and then . Right now the AT-AT with a baggie AT-AT driver is fs on RS .

So i don't know how up to date it is now a days . But still a good book
Back to top Go down
colpar
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 am

Hi Soren,

I have missed that AT-AT , could you PM me the link to the page ?

Thanks

olivier
Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Sent you the PM mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

I got my copy of this book today, took me ages to find when I looked on Amazon they were selling for over £100 I never paid anywhere near that, Have not read it yet but looking at the pictures it looks like its going to be an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Holy Crap! Over £100, Really? Damn Amazon. I can remember the collector that I got my copy from. It was a local collector that was liquidating her collection in 2008 and she was asking $7 for it. You can still see the sticker at the top left corner of the front cover. She had many 25%, 50% & 75% sale reductions, so I likely never paid any more than $5.50 for it. Cool Just before she had to move, she finally just gave me a box full of stuff (new & vintage) that no one wanted. Crying or Very sad I still have some of the stuff packed away somewhere???

She even made one of the local newspapers a few times with her collection!

Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection Pictur12
Back to top Go down
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm

I have this book by Jim. Got it when it first came out and announced in the Vintage Rebel Scum forum.

The only shortcoming is the gum on the book binding is not strong enough, which made the pages fall off easily if you are not careful in handling this paperback book. Other than that its a very documented treatise on the Vintage Kenner Canada Star Wars toys. :clap:
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

I just noticed that Amazon.ca has this book on sale for $14.95 CAN if anyone was still interested and looking for a copy?
Looks like it's 27% off the regular price.
Here is a screen shot of the search.

Does John still have the donations for TIG set up for Amazon and does it work for Amazon.ca??
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5090-please-support-imperial-gunnery

Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection Pictur14
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 am

I agree it is a must have for any cardback collector, it is little out of date but still the best and only Canadian reference book. I think it may have been one of the first ones issued, so the overall quality is not quite as nice as the kellerman, or tri books.

Toddg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection   Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Irwin Toys: The Candian Star Wars Connection

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1