The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Artificial light and MOC's... a question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

Artificial  light and MOC's... a question Empty
PostSubject: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is 'yes', but figured I would ask.

My collection, at least the MOCs and MIBs, are in my curio cabinet. At the very top is a 40w light bulb. Not that powerful, but enough so that you can see, in good light, the top few shelves of my collection.

I am just worried that the top shelf MOCs could be damaged, mainly their bubble, from this light source.

Should I take my MOCs off the top shelf and move it down (if I can find room)? Will they damage the bubbles over time (turn them yellow, etc)?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 3:51 pm

i think you should try to exchange your lights to nonheat led if its possible
just to be on the safe side
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm

My main question would be, is this light on all the time? The lights in my cabinets are only on when I'm showing someone my collection and even then it's maybe 15-30 minutes tops. We're also talking maybe 2-3 times a year or so. If yours is roughly the same, then I wouldn't really worry about it. But if the lights are on all the time, then I'd definitely want to move your MOCs and MIB items.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks for the replies...

Yes, the light stayed on during the day, but I recently moved a few of them to the top to make room. After a couple of days, I turned it off... worried about long term damage.

The LED is a good idea. I am going to look for a good LED lighting system to put in side instead of using the light blub.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:20 pm

To echo what Shawn has said, definitely keep the lights off as frequently as possible.

The moral of the story is that any light, no matter what kind, can do damage. LED's are probably the best as far as heat and emitting UV rays. After that, it's really a wash. Some do better than others. And depending on who you talk to or where you get your information, some lights are better than others.

Flourescent seems to be the consistently "bad" light for your collection. Followed by halogen.

There's a ton of articles out there on it. I have to run right now, but when I have more time I'll post some links.
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks Chris!
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Sorry this took so long.

Here's a great thread on RS about lighting a display. It has a few links in it as well:

What Lighting Source is Safe

There's a few more out there. I'll update this post as I find more.

**EDIT**

Here's some more:

Fluorescent Bulb Sleeves

Do House Lights Fade Carded Figures?

Tempered Glass Protects From Light?

Can Indirect Light Fade Figures?

That should give you enough reading material for awhile! Wink

Last edited by RebelChris on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added new links)
Back to top Go down
finestcomics
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Fluorescent bulbs are the worst. Incandescent are a bit better, but I think LED would be your best bet. Definitely agree with the suggestion to use as little lighting as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artificial light and MOC's... a question   Artificial  light and MOC's... a question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Artificial light and MOC's... a question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1