The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How do you guys photograph your stuff?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

Good job John. Here's a few suggestions that I'd consider trying.

1. Are you leaning the figure up against the backdrop? It's good to have a little distance between the figure and background. I usually prop of a MOC against one of the cylinder loose figure cases to stand it up, but really anything smaller than the MOC will work.

2. How are you placing your lights? It almost looks to me like you have a window with daylight coming through the room. I usually take the photos in a dark room with only the lightbox lights on like in my pic. I also try to place the lights so they are aimed center to the MOC, so basically the front half of each light is hitting the MOC and the back half is illuminating the background. Hopefully that makes sense.

The other thing I'd say is just practice practice practice. Play with the lights and your camera settings. You'll eventually get the combo that works for you.

Here's another old thread on lightboxes that has some good tips. You can see one of my first pics in there. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks Shawn. To answer your questions/comments

I did prop up the items but I was towards the back of the box. I'll center the items on the next go around. I used an AFA'ed loos fig but I have those cylinders and will try it.

Ironically I did these in a completely dark room. No light to be found except the lamps. I had them fairly center to the box, but since I had the items towards the back they weren't at the lights "equator" , so to speak.

As for my camera, it's a Cybershot 120 Sony and while there is some manual override, I felt it did more harm than good. Ill keep playing with the settings.

More tries today, stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 am

Sounds great John.

I've just looked at your camera manual and a few things you might want to try are: softsnap mode (this is usually portrait mode on other cameras) It looks like this will open up the aperture to help blur the background a little while keeping the main subject in focus. Also, make sure the macro mode(flower icon) is on.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:45 am

shawn_k wrote:
Sounds great John.

I've just looked at your camera manual and a few things you might want to try are: softsnap mode (this is usually portrait mode on other cameras) It looks like this will open up the aperture to help blur the background a little while keeping the main subject in focus. Also, make sure the macro mode(flower icon) is on.

Dude thanks! I'll try it!
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 1:56 pm

It might also help to iron the sheet or drop cloth that you are using the background. If you can take out some of those wrinkles it might help keep the camera from "auto-focusing" on them. Which in turn should help the camera focus on the subject and blur the background a bit.

It looks like you are off to a great start though. Keep playing with it. Especially the lighting. That's really what helps with the lightbox.

Also, you want to create a gentle "slope" for the drop cloth. So there's no hard angles from the floor to the back of it. If that makes sense?

This image might help me illustrate what I'm failing to say. Smile

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 Light-box
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Okay , round 2 !

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 7952605626_111979f91f_c

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 7952617906_c03a16232c_c

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 7952615790_643c91c28f_h

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 7952613618_cfa629b937_c

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 7952611434_1eddd1c3c7_c

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 7952609580_f6b1f1ed32_c

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 7952607692_3746471f84_c
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:43 pm

Mucho better!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Looking a lot better John!

I tried tweaking one a bit for you. I just cropped it a bit and adjusted the white balance to get rid of some of the yellow tint from the lights. You should also be able to get rid of this by using the Tungsten white balance setting in your camera.

How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 79526010
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:59 pm

I think this thead has nothing to do with how to make good pics. John just wants to show off Smile
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 am

I got round to picking up one of the cheap studio kits yesterday, was not sure how good they were going to be but for the first pick it don't seem to have come out so bad
How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 002-4
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:45 am

I actually use my iPhone for all of my pictures. Disable the flash & you can take super close up pictures. Plus, you don't even need to edit them. Before the phone I would use the macro feature on my camera & then crop the pictures. The iphone cut all of that out, it's literally snap & go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 pm

damn apple, now there taking over the vintage toy world!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Gorneesh wrote:
I got round to picking up one of the cheap studio kits yesterday, was not sure how good they were going to be but for the first pick it don't seem to have come out so bad
How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 002-4

that looks a decent 1st effort there, Mike. The blue background brings it out well. Was it easy enough to set up, and have you tried it with a loose figure yet?
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Artoo_Detour wrote:

that looks a decent 1st effort there, Mike. The blue background brings it out well. Was it easy enough to set up, and have you tried it with a loose figure yet?

I have only taken this photo and that was done at about 10.30 pm so no I have not done any pictures of loose figures. As for setting it up it was very easy unfold it all tape up the Velcro strips that hold it all together and plug in lights then start snapping, I think it was well worth the money even if it makes my pictures look that little bit more professional
Back to top Go down
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm not sure if it'll help but I just posted some shots on my blog that show how I use my cheapo clip-on lights.

http://ratherchildish.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/shoot-out-the-lights/
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
Wampa
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Wampa

PostSubject: Photo thread   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 pm

I can't seem to find a thread for cool photos of vintage figures (scenes etc), if there isn't one we should make it happen.

Personally, I use mostly dark rooms, lights from simple desk lamps (no flash). These arrangements are mostly for scene photography.

I will eventually get a macro lense, which is what you use to get really close. I've successfully tried it on bugs Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://worldofvintagetoys.blogspot.se
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Wampa wrote:
I can't seem to find a thread for cool photos of vintage figures (scenes etc),
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1874-star-wars-figures-in-action?highlight=action
Back to top Go down
Wampa
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Wampa

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 3:48 am

Thanks! I have a lot of catching up to do and a lot of fun ahead of me!

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 3:55 am

Wampa: Just had a look at your blog.

It would be fun if you would share your pics in the TIG thread now and then.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Wampa
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Wampa

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 am

Dr Dengar wrote:

Wampa: Just had a look at your blog.

It would be fun if you would share your pics in the TIG thread now and then.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now!

I'll put them in the thread aussiejames told me about.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys photograph your stuff?   How do you guys photograph your stuff? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you guys photograph your stuff?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2