The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

General question. Purely and observation.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

General question. Purely and observation. Empty
PostSubject: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm

Hypothetical question folks. Speaking from experience on the boards here (All of them).
If you sent someone a gift, would you expect a thankyou? I don't mean like a public thankyou. Would you expect a PM that says thanks, also?
What if it's a joint gift from a lot of members? Public thanks enough or, would you contact everyone involved privately also?

I just couldn't fathom getting a gift from a group of guys and not replying to them individually to say thanks. But from what I have seen and have been involved with over the years on the boards, it appears it is norm to just throw a public blanket "thanks" up alot of the time. Not always.

*This isn't about any one instance either. Like I said, this has been the case whenever I have been involved in a group buy for a fellow member, over the years. So don't think I am singling anyone out here. Just curious the thinking behind it, that's all.
I mean even if I didn't like someone, if they chucked in for something for me as part of a gift...I would still say thanks privately, that's all.
Is this just an upbringing thing?

Last edited by Josh on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Maybe the recipient doesn't know exactly who donated? I've been involved in a few gifts & have always been thanked in person where the recipient knew i'd donated as far as i can remember.
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 pm

You would reply privately though if you ever recieved a gift?

*Edited my post, as this is not about people thanking me, it's about how you would handle the situation if it was you getting a gift.

Last edited by Josh on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Bloody hell- I hope I thanked you privately Josh Embarassed
A copied & pasted generic thank you via PM is OK?
Personally I'd prefer a PM over a public blanket thanks. BUT we give gifts because we want to, not for recognition.
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 pm

I understand that. But it's nice to get a thanks, is all I am saying.
Like I said, I couldn't fathom not saying it privately to anyone who sent me a gift. I would make it very public also...don't worry about that, but I would certainly take the time to write a private thanks regardless of who they were...that's all. It's just obvious some people don't feel the same. Which is cool. I am just trying to understand why that is. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sandcrawler72
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Sandcrawler72

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Since I didn't get a gift from you Josh... Thanks for nothing Razz

I would say it's common curtsey to send a thank you in private and/or publically depending on the situation. Obviously, a thank you in person would be better but if you dealing with people in different locations that's not a realistic option.

The real question here... would you be upset if someone didn't give you Thank you for a gift? For me, a gift is a gift.... sure it's nice to get some feedback but I never expect it. I think you might be disappointed otherwise.

Thank You... just in case you are in a giving mood. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 pm

If its a secret santa thing, I could see not giving one cause you really dont know who it is unless they put their name and addy on it. But most of the time when its something going on in the recievers life (death, marriage, etc.) theres usually a card that goes with it so the reciever knows who was part of it. Then sure, they can thank those involved which way they prefer, openly or pm. Its their choice. I know of a few instances here where it happened both ways, open and private. One or 2 was both. But if they know who sent it, I would say its up to them really, but it could be nice to know that they appreciate the thought it took.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Since it's just opinions, here's mine. It depends.

It's hard to just give a blanket answer TBH. I mean the circumstances dictate my expectations. If it's a small group of friends who got a person a gift, then maybe I'd expect a thanks in private (but not be upset if I didn't). If it's a huge group of people kicking in, then I don't. If it's a tough circumstance (loss of somebody) then I wouldn't expect anything nor feel it was needed. That's just three off the top of my head.

If this was a one on one gift cause you were nice and the person didn't say thanks then I could being a little put off. If you had a set of circumstances I'd chime in on the specific instance but if it's just a general question than my answer is as stated.

For what it's worth, I try to always thank people for anything, big or small. I appreciate the gesture more than the gift itself. For someone to go through the effort to get you a present shows they like and respect you. That's a gift in itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm

As a side note Josh, if you gave some gal herpes in your single days, that's not technically a "gift"
Back to top Go down
Sandcrawler72
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Sandcrawler72

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:14 pm

DarthBerizing wrote:
As a side note Josh, if you gave some gal herpes in your single days, that's not technically a "gift"

Yet, it's a gift that keeps on giving lol!
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Sandcrawler72 wrote:
DarthBerizing wrote:

Yet, it's a gift that keeps on giving lol!

touche'
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:46 pm

lol!

Like I said, it was purely observational guys. I aint upset or anything...if I was, I wouldn't chip in for these sorts of things, full stop.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess I am old school. Someone sends you a gift, you say thanks.

Quote :
I appreciate the gesture more than the gift itself. For someone to go through the effort to get you a present shows they like and respect you. That's a gift in itself.

That's how I see it.

Last edited by Josh on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I will send a pm thanking the person or if able a thank you card like josh it's the way I was raised.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 pm

To the person's credit, they did say
Quote :
Thank you all so much guys, I am still almost speechless over this.

Also, the person in question got their gift yesterday. It's up to you how you want to take it, but a lot of people were involved in this. If it were me, yes, I would have at the very least sent out a blanket PM to all involved and given a thanks.

It certainly has me wondering now if I did that when I had some kindness shown to me from you and some others several years ago now. I hope I did. I certainly remember doing it publicly.

I, myself, would be fine with the quote above and with everything else that they said, knowing that my contribution helped this member out during a rough patch in their life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Shawnie. This isn't about any one particular situation. Just how you yourself would handle it if it was you getting a gift...not even from me. Forget about me here.
I am curious about how people would go about it if it was them, that's all.

Please don't think this is anything sinister guys. I love chipping in a trying to help put a smile on some of your faces when you are down. It's not about that at all.

lol!
*If anyone hasn't thanked me privately over the years for any gifts they have recieved, it's cool. I was just getting my head around the thinking behind it. I will still chuck in for things like this in the future. Always have and always will. I certainly am not butt hurt about it. Some of you guys have been very generous with your time etc, or even given me gifts. I am pretty sure I have made it clear I am thankful for all you have done for me if you are one of those people.

Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:46 pm

No worries then Josh. I hope you can see why I thought that as of the timing of your post.

On Topic: I certainly would be and have been grateful when kindness like this has been shown to me. As I said, the littlest I would do is thank the group via a pm, but ideally I would thank everyone individually.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 pm

I can, but it's seriously not my intention to create friction here. Cool
Thanks for the responses so far.
Back to top Go down
MasterTyvokka
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
MasterTyvokka

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 am

arohk wrote:
I will send a pm thanking the person or if able a thank you card like josh it's the way I was raised.

I was raised the same way...i guess if was a real large number of people that chipped in though it might be different but I would at least try to send a pm thanking each of them. Although if I did't who all was involved I might just make a mass post just to make sure I didn't leave thanking anyone out.
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 12:44 am

I guess I find a private PM much more personal than an open "thanks"...That's all I guess.

I totally get doing a public post saying thanks, if you have no idea who was in on it to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Boomstick66
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Boomstick66

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 am

A gift is a gift. All depends on what you call "the gift". if I get a box that literally has shit in it, than "HELL NO". You get my point... If I recieve something that someone or a group of people "friends" put a thouht into thats awesome and is well worth a "Thank You". To get anything from anyone as a good gesture is without a doubt worth a "Thank you". I'll be going to CVI with the help of crutches or some sort of walker this year. I'll be DAMN sure to be thankful to anyone I can catch up to get a button or any one of the free items offered let alone soneone just opening a door for me.
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 2:51 am

You need to hire one of these for the day.

General question. Purely and observation. 4_wheel_Scooter_For_Old_People

Would make it a bit easier. Can run a few nerds down along the way lol!

Either way, good luck with your hunt for some exclusives. I am sure there will be enough to go around. Cool
Back to top Go down
Grant
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Grant

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 am

To answer your question Josh. If I was gifted by one person OR one hundred people Id make it a priority to thank each and every individual contributor involved personally and publicly, but that's my philosophy. Each to their own tho I guess. :emperor:

Back to top Go down
Boomstick66
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Boomstick66

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:12 am

Josh,
this might be a funny question but maybe you"ll know. Are these available at the show.
Damn softball this injury! I did a good enough job to only leave a couple ligaments still attached. Regardless, if I have to use my crutches I'm still hauling my ass around! Smile
Back to top Go down
tundra9
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
tundra9

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:17 am

Boomstick66 wrote:
Josh,
this might be a funny question but maybe you"ll know. Are these available at the show.
Damn softball this injury! I did a good enough job to only leave a couple ligaments still attached. Regardless, if I have to use my crutches I'm still hauling my ass around! Smile

I actually have one of those, it's yours if you pay shipping! lol!
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:24 am

Quote :
Josh,
Damn softball this injury! I did a good enough job to only leave a couple ligaments still attached. Regardless, if I have to use my crutches I'm still hauling my ass around!

Sorry mate, couldn't help you there. Maybe have a ring around or get on the net? Or perhaps someone in the area could help you out with having a look. If I was there I would let you know so I am sure someone else might chime in or send you a pm. Perhaps start a thread up here or on Rebelscum?
Would be good to get a bit more mobile if you could I reckon. So it can't hurt having a look if you got the cash to spare.
Good luck with it. Cool

*If you get one, deck it out as a MTV-7
General question. Purely and observation. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXGuRskz_t0AouQRmTzEHq1Ix3N3taaHxMDEOZu7hUbQQwr-sp9g
or maybe a MLC-3
General question. Purely and observation. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSih-Xsy-3aj4uYwC-jfVgMATiAtVAWm_FjXE1BfKDhg8ZDvrlsdg
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General question. Purely and observation.   General question. Purely and observation. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General question. Purely and observation.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next