The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Empty
PostSubject: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello,
As I mentioned in the BASA thread I have an unusual, Display arena piece. I got it just before C5 and took it there where no one had ever seen it before nor could they place the country of origin. The slip cover wraps around the box for the traditional ESB display arena, the instructions are different. The slip cover adverstises that it includes 2 figs, unfortunetly it came to me without any figs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Todd

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Dscf8117

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Dscf8111

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Dscf8212

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Dscf8213

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Dscf8210
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Very interesting piece, Todd.

I have never seen that ROTJ sleeve before for the display arena.

Preproduction?

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Very interesting piece. I haven't seen a ROTJ version before.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I had almost forgotten about this Todd and glad to see you bring it back up. I'd certainly love to see some more info surface on it as well. The lack of a Kenner logo on the wrapper certainly makes me think it could have been store made, but it is odd that it'd have a different instruction sheet though. Do you have a box to go with it? I'm curious of it isn't as thick where it should have 2 less display bases and cards.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Shawn,
The toy contents are identical as is the box. The only differences are the instruction sheet and the slip cover.

Todd
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:12 pm

ToddG wrote:
Shawn,
The toy contents are identical as is the box. The only differences are the instruction sheet and the slip cover.

Todd

Oh okay. That's odd that the instructions were updated to say only two stands and two backdrops were included if it had all 4 like the mail away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Could the ROTJ sleeve be fan made? Perhaps Kenner was planning to release a ROTJ version and this is as far as they came with it. One of a kind item?
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:34 pm

It could be fan made, but my gut tells me it is not. Store produced would make more sense to me. I orginally posted this after C5 on rebelscum. http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1055435/

"So Here is what is different/what has been noted about the item
1. The outer packaging
No Kenner or other company logos on it, No Trademarks or Lucasfilm marks either
The unusual dots after Star Wars logo
ROTJ figs pictured
Advertises It came with 2 action figures (I did not receive these so not sure what or how they came)

2. The Instruction sheet
It states it only came with 2 bases and 2 backdrops, not 4 like the US version
No Kenner or other company logos on it, No Trademarks or Lucasfilm marks either
The use of Bullet Points on the instruction sheet
Inserted text advertising 2 figs, 2 bases and 2 Backdrops, and Collect all 4 for more fun
On the back the Removal of the Kenner we care info replaced by the Micro advertisement

The general thought is that it is Asian which matches up with how I got it. And that it was maybe a store produced/packaged item to move out old stock. When I received it YAOHAN was the store where it was thought to be purchased but 20 - 30 years can fog a memory.

Todd DeMartino seemed to have the most insight and it reminded him of an Asian Tie Bomber that also had a slip cover.

Does anyone have any info on it or the TIE Bomber in a slip cover?"

Last edited by ToddG on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Shawn,
I remember 100% that the box was the same size, but I am not sure it came with 4 pieces now that you bring it up. It is packed away currently so I need to dig it out to check eventually. But we did examine the pieces and they were identical to the US kenner realieased versions, same for the backdrops.

Thanks
Todd
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 pm

I totally forgot about this Todd! That's awesome!

I love the ROTJ themed photography.

Would it have been specific to a catalog mailer company? Like Wards or Sears or JC Penny's or something? That's kind of what it looks like to me at first blush.

I love how the logo not only looks like the Atari games, but also the 30th anniversary logo Hasbro used. I'd be interested to see the box as well.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 6:05 pm

This photo is really interesting:

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Dscf8212

Most notably the part at the bottom where it says "Collect four bases for more fun"

That kind of says mail order premium. Is there any possible way that this was a back in (kind of like a special offer) with one of the Micro Sets? Especially since it advertises the Micro Line?

How many bases came with the SW and ESB display arenas? I guess I was always under the impression that they came with four.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 7:57 pm

"The general thought is that it is Asian which matches up with how I got it. And that it was maybe a store produced/packaged item to move out old stock. When I received it YAOHAN was the store where it was thought to be purchased but 20 - 30 years can fog a memory"
& this might explain why I have 6 bases & 6 backdrops from my childhood. I also mention Yaohans in my TIG interview.

edit: looks like I had 7 bases & 6 backdrops :scratch:
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB SDC10310
mmm maybe it was 6 bases (this is my original childhood collection)
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB SDC10204

It will be interesting to find out if Todd's box has 2 or 4 bases
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Good info James, I will try and dig out the box this weekend.

Thanks
Todd

Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 10:02 am

Thats a really interesting Piece Todd! Cool

Look forward to hearing more about it. Smile

Liam
Back to top Go down
Panastur
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Panastur

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 am

The logo seems to be taken from the Parker ESB video game...

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Starwars

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

So I dug it out and the box is the same size and construction as the standard mail away. It does only have 2 backdrops and 2 base pieces, and they are identical to the kenner ones.

@aussie James,

So what can you tell me about this Yoahans store. You reference your TIG interview?

Thanks
Todd
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 am

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Sdc12784
looks like I got my display arena as a purchase not a mailaway
Note the Robinson's price sticker.
One of 4 major Singapore Star Wars retailers (Metros, Tangs & Yaohan)
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1079550-5/
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:27 am

Duuuuuuude! Now there's a promotional sticker I've never seen before Shocked Love it! Damn you, now there's another cardback I need to track down. I don't suppose you have a spare?

Is it a US cardback that it's on? Please don't say it's an Aussie one.
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 am

AJ that is one awesome Cardback there mate Congrats
Back to top Go down
crealkilla
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
crealkilla

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 am

AJ nice cardback with the Robinson's price sticker. I can't even find any down here in Singapore.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 am

It is a US addressed cardback from my childhood collection
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Sdc12786
note the 'K' after 'Made in Hong Kong'
the punch is different to those without the 'K'
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Sdc12785

I don't think it's significant cos there are other cardbacks with different punches ie. 48C "Made in Hong Kong" has perforated punch hole above 'Collect all 48', "Made in Hong Kong K" has a 'smooth' punch hole that cuts through 'Collect all 48'
& HT vs HG
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB Sdc12336
etc.....

unfortunately I don't have a spare Dax. But I am pretty excited to work out how I got the display arena as a child in Singapore yet it wasn't available as a mail away. I guess this cardback & Todd's boxed example prooves these display arenas were available for purchase from stores.
Back to top Go down
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 6:37 am

ToddG wrote:

A happy coincidence, I have one like this and I bought it in Malaysia back in August 1983. They were packaged and sold with 2 carded Return Of The Jedi action figures. Will post up pictures of mine later Wink
Back to top Go down
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 am

I recall one of my carded figures is the ROTJ 65 back Star Destroyer Commander which I have since liberated from his plastic bubble back in the day! What a Face
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Ok so this is all very interesting and I have a hypothesis, I am assuming that Yoahans, Robinsons, Metros, Tangs, are like the US Stores Sears, Jc Penney, Montgomery Ward, back in the day. So standard retailers, with brick and morter and a mail order catalog, etc.

So when I bought my display arena it was thought to be purchased at Yoahans a number of years ago. Looking at AJ cardback my guess is that the display arena was available for purchase at one or more of the 4 stores above. I think the price is blacked out so, the offer would have read

"Only $x.xx with purchase of 3 action figures Star wars display arena"

I believe this because the other black out is on the price tag, probably a gift for young AJ and they did not want him to see the price.

So my best guess is that around the release of Jedi, some or all of these stores, or the overall area distributorship, had access to the Display arena, since you could not mail away for it in that area, hence the white sticker covering the offers on some cards as seen in the Kellerman book. (I need to double check that an example exists on a Display Arena Card).

So the stores came up with marketing pieces to help sell the items, who would want to buy a plain brown box, they had to spice it up a little hence the slip cover. It was never available at retail in the US so no need for it here. The reason to split of the set, and the inclusion of 2 figures would also support this theory, trying to make it more desirable.

It also makes sense in that we know some of the same stores, Metro, Robinsons, Tangs, and Yoahans, also have the Singapore Star Wars Fan club sticker applied to them. See thread below for example.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1079550/

Again another offer not available in the US probably used by the stores or the distributor to help move product and spice up the line.

What do you guys think, feel free to shoot holes or play devils advocate.

Thanks
Todd G
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Chancellor_Peter wrote:
ToddG wrote:

A happy coincidence, I have one like this and I bought it in Malaysia back in August 1983. They were packaged and sold with 2 carded Return Of The Jedi action figures. Will post up pictures of mine later Wink

Very interested in seeing another, this is the only one I have ever seen?

THanks
Todd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next