The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:05 am

" But what if you have an accident tomorrow? Would your wife or kids know what the hell you have or what to do with them? Would they be able to sell them appropriately if they preferred the money instead of a bunch of plastic? "
valid point & something that I've had discussed with me. Tim & I have agreed to sell each others collection if the need arises to not burden our own families. I'm sure we can all put a similar action plan in place.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:12 am

aussiejames wrote:

valid point & something that I've had discussed with me. Tim & I have agreed to sell each others collection if the need arises to not burden our own families. I'm sure we can all put a similar action plan in place.

That's certainly another valid point James and why it is a good thing to make trusted friends in the hobby. If I were to die today, my wife could very easily get a hold of ChrisB and JoeO who know exactly what I have and a good idea on value.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 am

aussiejames wrote:
" But what if you have an accident tomorrow? Would your wife or kids know what the hell you have or what to do with them? Would they be able to sell them appropriately if they preferred the money instead of a bunch of plastic? "

That really is a good point.
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:34 am

Well guys, thankyou so much for your replies and the time you have taken to make them, thats why this forums a great one, some of you have really raised some really interesting points and filled in so many questions for me..
It seems that many of you have very different opinions about AFA, i did a little googling about AFA today and i found out that there are many collectors out there that have had their figures either come loose and move around in the case, wrong weapons have been put in, noses have been damaged in the cases, cases have had their supports broken on the inside, a few have had fake AFA stuff, but to AFAs credit i have heard they have great customer service and they always fix any problems....

i am looking forward to more opinions and information in this thread, reading it has been great, thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to reply to this in such a detailed manner its great :clap: cheers guys, you are a wealth of knowledge...

im only very new here but im enjoying it alot, thanks to guys like yourselves :drumroll:
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 am

Keeping a record over what you have and perhaps place a estimated value on them as well is a good thing. I know that I have my work cut out for myself as to organizing and catalouging my items. It not only makes it easier for someone else to get a good overlook of your collection, but it's also for your own benefit when an item surfaces and you're unsure if you have it. Then you just go to your database and look it up.

Great label, Shawn! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:46 am

Yzerman wrote:
Keeping a record over what you have and perhaps place a estimated value on them as well is a good thing. I know that I have my work cut out for myself as to organizing and catalouging my items. It not only makes it easier for someone else to get a good overlook of your collection, but it's also for your own benefit when an item surfaces and you're unsure if you have it. Then you just go to your database and look it up.

Great label, Shawn! Very Happy

I'm pretty good with that, especially regarding the vintage portion of my collection. I created spreadsheets in Google Docs using the Kellerman Matrices, so I can pull it up on my phone wherever I am, and see if I have it, what condition it's in, etc.

But that only helps me. If my wife looked at that and compared it to what I have, it would just look like gibberish. 12-c, 48-a, etc. But I do like the idea of having an agreement with someone to help with all of that in the event of my untimely passing.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 2:40 pm

If I dropped tomorrow, I've told my wife to grab my phone and pull up a couple of names of people who can help sell it off but my will actually gives it to my son so it'll be up to him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 pm

DarthBerizing wrote:
If I dropped tomorrow, I've told my wife to grab my phone and pull up a couple of names of people who can help sell it off but my will actually gives it to my son so it'll be up to him.

Same here. I have all of my stuff in a Trust so my son won't have to deal with all the probate BS. But it still comes down to ease of selling, if he decided to sell. Which I would hope he would sell if he needed to, rather than starve and have a Star Wars collection.
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:26 pm

You could also add pictures as reference to your items in your database to help identify items in case of a need to.

A trusted friend/collector is also a good way to make sure a sale will go as smooth as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....   AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AFA ? who actually grades it, information and expansion on AFA please....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2