The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? Empty
PostSubject: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 8:56 am

Hey Guys.

These are my Focus Characters and I am just trying to find out what variants there is out there excluding Bootlegs (Sorry Joe Wink )

For Yoda I have Brown Orange, Green and Ledy and have my eyes on the PBP Variant in the Classiffieds.

I could have sworn I saw a nice R5 variant in a LA thread last year. it might have been from Pat (Retro Rewind Toys or Oli (Olisuds? :scratch:

As for PD and DSD I am not aware of any variants.

Any help would be very much appriecated. Liam Very Happy
Back to top Go down
STR1968
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:16 am

here is a link where you can see variant of power droid and r5d4

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3151-r5-d4-variants
Back to top Go down
pattejan
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
pattejan

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:31 am

This link to a picture on RS (made by Wolff - hope it's ok to link to it) shows variants of R5-D4's (and R2-D2's) sticker:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1075018-3/#post18657367
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Hey mate, I'm not aware of a Yoda variation exclusive to PBP! Top toys Yoda is a great variant although extremely rare!

There is possibly a POCH power droid although I couldn't tell you how to differentiate it.

Otherwise they are mainly minor variations and COO variations.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 3:50 am

Hey....maybe this helps:

R5:
- sticker variant "red rectangle"
- dome variant big and small
- coo variants

Yoda:
orange snakes:
- lightgreen yoda with orange eyes
- lightgreen yoda with cherry eyes (HK Tag in the cape!)
- applegreen Yoda with different unique cape material

brown snakes:
- standard
- applegreen with hardbrown snake
- Lili Ledy /PBP (actually the same IMO)
- Meccano/POTF (no coo...pretty similar....the differences are in the cape and eyecolor between POTF and Mec)
- Top Toys

These are IMO the main variants. I personally think all green snakes are discolored.... Shocked Laughing ....and I also have a very nice looking yellow snake (also discoloration)
There should also be 2 Poch variants I also do lack!! Sad

DSD:
- differences in mold on the arm between the 2 HK families
- lots of different looking blanks
- Meccano (no coo raised bar) with very sensitive silver
- POCH (not confirmed yet....totally different silver and paint aps)

GONK:
- standard
- lightblue varaint with different coo (very hard to spot !!)
- Poch (not confirmed yet....different orange paint and different material of the legs)

So if you go for the MAIN stuff:

R5 with and without red rectangle
Gonk in light and darkblue
DSD the Meccano and the other arm mold with HK coo
Yoda peobably has the most interesting variants and I would go for those:
orange snakes:
- lightgreen yoda with orange eyes
- lightgreen yoda with cherry eyes (HK Tag in the cape!)
- applegreen Yoda with different unique cape material

brown snakes:
- standard
- Lili Ledy
- Meccano
- Top Toys

Then you have a real nice set I would say!
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi Guys! Thanks for all your informative responses! Cool

Oli I am referring to the one Javi has fo sale Wink

Back to top Go down
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 7:34 pm

There are two different sculpts for the Power Droid, each with 3 consistent differences that I've seen on a few examples on Ebay once I knew what to specifically look for:

The main detail is the V-indentation on each side of his body. Sculpt #1 has a larger indentation that goes all the way down to the horizontal black bar. Sculpt #2 has a smaller indentation that doesn't quite reach the black bar. That's the easiest way to spot one or the other when looking for a particular one on Ebay.

The 2nd detail is the orange step-shaped paint app on each side. Sculpt #1's is generally bigger and fatter. Sculpt #2's is smaller and thinner.

The 3rd detail is the wire that's sculpted on the top of the droid's body. Sculpt #1's is thinner and sculpt #2 is slightly thicker.

So to summarize:

Power Droid sculpt #1 = large V-indentation / larger orange step-shaped paint app / thin wire
Power Droid sculpt #2 = small V-indentation / smaller orange stap-shaped paint app / thick wire

My sculpt #2 has a larger Hong Kong COO stamp and LFL date stamp on each of its legs compared to my sculpt #1. Not sure if this is consistent with each sculpt version though. My sculpt #2's COO matches COO 2 on the COO guide, and my sculpt #1's COO matches COO 1 on the COO guide.

Regarding the body color... my small-V sculpt #2 appears to be a lighter blue than my large-V sculpt #1. Not sure if this is another consistent variation. Originally I thought it was just minor discoloration/fading of the plastic. I'd love for other to chime in if they have both versions so we can determine if the lighter blue Power Droid is consistently sculpt #2. It's too difficult to tell from photos on Ebay.

Here's a good side-by-side photo originally posted by b4nth4 in this forum in the other thread linked above:
R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? PowerDroid

This guy on Ebay also has some great side by side comparison photos of each sculpt on an recent auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-DROID-Shallow-V-Side-Large-Print-coo-variant-C9-vintage-Star-Wars-figure-/160811290557?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2571198fbd

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Here's a graded one:
R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? $(KGrHqJ,!l4E64BnSG1sBO2O,9DE)w~~60_58
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 4:01 am

Howdy Shabbyblue - It is cool you posted a link to my Power Droid variation auction on ebay . I have been very curious about these variants ever since I realized they existed a month or 2 ago . I know alot of the collectors here were aware of the variations long before I was (but it is new to me unsure )
I was wondering if anyone here has any idea which version might be considered a earlier version ?

If it helps any I can say that I have had 8 or so Power Droids come through my hands since I actually noticed that there are 2 sculpt variations . Only 2 of the 8 were the "Shallow (shorter) V" version (and both were slightly lighter blue) . The other 6 were the "deep V" variants and all of them are darker more glossy blue .

It seems to me that the more uncommon variant is the "shallow V" ??
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 4:11 am

The 'shallow V/smaller step version' is less common. My childhood Powerdroid from a debut 20B is COO #1.
(the silver tube on the back of the legs is shaped differently too)
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 pm

shabbyblue wrote:

Regarding the body color... my small-V sculpt #2 appears to be a lighter blue than my large-V sculpt #1. Not sure if this is another consistent variation. Originally I thought it was just minor discoloration/fading of the plastic. I'd love for other to chime in if they have both versions so we can determine if the lighter blue Power Droid is consistently sculpt #2. It's too difficult to tell from photos on Ebay.

Yes...the lighter blue has always sculpt #2
Back to top Go down
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 2:51 pm

AussieJames.... what's your avatar from? Is that supposed to be Leia after she's skinned Wicket and made clothes out of him in order to survive alone on Endor? tongue
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 3:40 pm

mmmmm... ewok .. Thats whats for dinner :Drool:
Back to top Go down
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Heh... small world. I just bought some more figs from you on ebay, Ourchickenshack. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?   R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R5D4 Yoda, Power Droid and Death Star Droid Variants?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1