The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JuniorChubb
New User
New User
JuniorChubb

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape Empty
PostSubject: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi all, I got a few figures of eBay the other week for a nice price, the weapons all seem legit' but I have doubts over the Lando cape.

The cape zips nicely on one side and I thought all was well, then I compared it to my others and its a lighter colour (see pics). Further examination showed me the bottom edge of the cloak has a rough finish (smooth on my others).

I messaged the seller about this (not asking for a refund) for clarification, he told me ('with all due respect' (if that possible?)) to go research my variants, he also reminded me the figures where cheap (they where but this has nothing to do with the cape), from this point I called him out and it got a bit heated.

Here are the pictures...

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape LandoCape01

Above: The middle cape is in question

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape LandoCape02

Above: The rough edge and a suspect corner too

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape LandoCape03

Above: The cape in question on its own

Does anyone know of a lighter cape Lando Variant (he had the white teeth too)?
Do the rough edges point to a repro?
Do some repro capes give a nice zip on one side?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any responses...

Last edited by JuniorChubb on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Are all edges rough, inside of holes as well?
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
JuniorChubb
New User
New User
JuniorChubb

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Rawlin wrote:
Are all edges rough, inside of holes as well?

Hi Rawlin,

Just got the cape out the box for another look.

The cape edges seem rougher than the holes, but looking at the larger photos the holes are still rougher than my other capes. The cape is slightly thicker material and it flares out slightly more at the bottom than my other Lando capes.

I have 3 to compare it too, one is 100% original, the other 2 colour match the original perfectly but are a a few mm out from each other size wise.

The suspect cloak also looks a lot newer and is less flexible (slightly).

I have uploaded some larger images at photo bucket...

http://photobucket.com/LandoCape

Thanks for looking into this for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Hey Junior Welcome to TIG Cool
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Don't look good does it. Checked my own Lando cape and it's all clean cut with good corners.

Here's a cape from Ebay advertised as a reproduction with a very similar corner cut like yours. (lol at the battered figure too)

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape Lando_10

and another advertised as replacement. Different shaped armholes to yours but poorly cut.

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape Repro_10
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 4:04 pm

After seeing the edges my bet is that it is a repro. But wait for more people to tell their opinions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
JuniorChubb
New User
New User
JuniorChubb

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks all for the input. For me cloaks are tough to call, the edges do seem to be the deciding factor, as well as this nobody has mentioned colour variations in their Lando cloaks. I will see if there is any more input then contact the seller again.

Hi Sith Very Happy
Back to top Go down
iceworm
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 5:25 pm

I posted my Lando cape variations in:

T.I.G Content and Reference Library

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4191-lando-s-vinyl-capes

It is a recent post.

I hope this is helpful for you.

--------------------------------
Darth Vreenak
Back to top Go down
JuniorChubb
New User
New User
JuniorChubb

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 6:17 pm

iceworm wrote:
I posted my Lando cape variations in:

T.I.G Content and Reference Library

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4191-lando-s-vinyl-capes

It is a recent post.

I hope this is helpful for you.

--------------------------------
Darth Vreenak

Thanks iceworm.

I had a look at you post, it clears up the colour variation but not the rough edges. These repro's are a minefield, I have been looking into this for a while so I can be sure to leave correct feedback. All this bloody effort and I am still unsure, the rough edges really put me off, I will have a closer look at the texture though.

Thanks again Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
iceworm
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Colour variation is common with vintage Star Wars figures.

However, your e-bay seller could not provide any evidence proving the Lando cape was real.

My advice is to examine the cross-hatch pattern on your suspect Lando cape with a high power loop. (I use 7x, but you may need 10x or even a microscope.)

Compare a genuine cape to your suspect cape. If a REPRO factory produced a Lando cape with a cross-hatch pattern, you can only hope there is some microscopic difference.

Lando is a cool guy, but vinyl Jawa capes = money. Like you said...REPRO is a minefield.

My advice is if some weapon or accessory doesn't fit nicely into the known variations or the "fit-and-finish" looks like garbage....it is most likely REPRO. I would hang onto it until confirmed on way or another. Often, a real item can be quickly identified within the known variations.

Welcome to the fun of loose collecting.

--------------------------------------------
Darth Vreenak

"Fakes Get Better With Time."

Back to top Go down
JuniorChubb
New User
New User
JuniorChubb

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks Iceworm, I will have to sit on it for a while until I get more confident (probably in the flesh) opinion. This leaves a sour taste as I am 90% sure its repro' and want to leave the appropriate feedback, but that uncertainty is working in his favour.
Back to top Go down
plantainman
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
plantainman

PostSubject: dark grey / light grey cape vs COO   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 4:54 am

**IGNORE**

moved my post to a more suitable thread here...

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4191-lando-s-vinyl-capes#99191
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape   Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lando Bespin Cloak / Cape

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1