The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

PAYPAL SCAM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 am

I haven't come across it before. Received an email confirming a Paypal payment for an item I know nothing about. 2 days latter I received another email notifying me of an unauthorised use of my account. Attached was a form to fill out to rectify the problem. Alarm bells rang when it asked for bank account details. Both emails were very 'professional', looked like Paypal format & I almost filled in the details Embarassed

Be careful Smile
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:47 am

Well spotted and glad you stopped short of giving details. Never give bank details or password info to messages supposedly from PayPal/Ebay. Have you forwarded the emails to PayPal for them to see?
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 am

I think this is quite common. I've had a couple of phishing emails myself. As you say they look very professional. The ones I had started off with 'dear customer' rather than using my name. They also claimed that my account was suspended until I verified my bank details. Again alarm bells rang immediately so I forwarded the emails on to PayPal who confirmed they were scams & that they would deal with it.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Last week a pop up window appeared when visiting the paypal website claiming my PC was not recognized and therefore I had to submit my username, password, and credit card no. Though it looked genuine I did not trust it. Indtead I reloaded the page and could reach the secure htpps site as usual.
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:14 pm

I would recommend NEVER opening a email from Paypal or eBay. First off with eBay the message will show up in the eBay message section. With Paypal the email will ALWAYS start with your acct. name or your first name. Ok here is my precautionary tale, about 8 years or so, I received one of these emails from PP, stating my acct had some issue & I opened the email & logged in. I don't remember all the gory details but I will never forget what happened next. At the time, I had just moved apts. (same complex, just different apt), in the mail room was a box for mail that wasn't yours. I checked in it to see if I missed anything, & what did I find? A post card addressed to me from the local police dept. requesting I turn myself in. At the time, I owned my comic shop & had a ton of customers who were cops. I called one of these guys & told him what I found in the mail room. My cop friend DJ, asked me if I recently bounced any checks...I was like no...why? DJ informed me the arrest warrant was for bounced checks to: Walmart, Papa Johns, my rent etc. I check my bank account & it is negative like $2,000. So I go to the Police Station, get bailed out & have a court appearance. Yup my identity had been stolen! I had to go to court & explain what happened. Apparently I was caught in a phishing scam, one of the first & it was such a new thing that it took forever to convince people that it actually happened & I wasn't going around town writing rubber checks. I found it interesting that whomever hacked my account was able to buy plane tickets with my money, yet they couldn't apprehend the guy as he tried to board the plane? I mean they had the flight #, seat #, destination, etc. Anyway, sorry I always get hung up on that, I had to go to court, pay $300 to have this expunged from my record & I got to carry police report for 5 years in case anything else popped up. It was a absolute nightmare! So don't open those emails!

Pat
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm

thanks for the head up guys
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this James Smile
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Just a question about returning item(s). I fully understand return postage is the responsibility of the buyer. What about the original postage cost? I bought a faulty item (ie didn't fucking work & was brand new) now I'm out of pocket both shipping costs Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 11:57 pm

aussiejames wrote:
Just a question about returning item(s). I fully understand return postage is the responsibility of the buyer. What about the original postage cost? I bought a faulty item (ie didn't fucking work & was brand new) now I'm out of pocket both shipping costs Evil or Very Mad

If memory serves correct, you get the full payment back from the seller (which should include Shipping)
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Sponsored content

PAYPAL SCAM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAYPAL SCAM   PAYPAL SCAM I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PAYPAL SCAM

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1