The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Loose AFA/UKG descriptions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Loose AFA/UKG descriptions Empty
PostSubject: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Is there a way to find all the different desriptions (variants) that AFA grade? (or UKG)
some examples:

Lt flat stripes Logray
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions $(KGrHqIOKk!E1tud4oPMBNh3IeBY5!~~_3

purple smock Ugnaught
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions !CFG4pjw!mk~$(KGrHqEOKp!E0UNLbKYcBNUEPP(2G!~~_3

flesh face Rebel Commando
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions !BY(B2JQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBKhGMlB,Ow~~_12

pale face Luke Jedi
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions $(KGrHqYOKk!E3w4SQJcYBOFgUVBpR!~~_12

hard torso/wide stance Suspect
[img]Loose AFA/UKG descriptions $(KGrHqJHJBIE9!21,qEYBPSO69CLEg~~60_12[/[/img]
dark green/PBP variant
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions $(KGrHqF,!lME5Yy,9wTFBOcPvb)Jyw~~60_12

Last edited by aussiejames on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 3:46 pm

I have no idea on it, but isnt all that info in the grading reports they have up? I think you have to be a member to them to see them, not sure on that either.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 7:26 pm

LMAO!!!!......I have to say it....Afa is a tool!!!

What douchebags!!

And Im proud again: I freed every princess coffin I got in my hands!!....its so senseless!! I just learned that there is some MOC 100 out there.....hahhhahahhahhha
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 8:08 pm

I think you can use the number at bottom left. Was in on ukg last night and checked cause I got some stuff I would like graded. It seems you could put in the number to check up on the graded ones. But I'm not sure since I did not test it.

Would love to see what a soft torso trooper is lol

edit:
Our site search engine needs to be re-indexed, which could take up to a week after our site's intial launch. Until the preceding process is completed, your search queries will likely return invalid results.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 8:24 pm

IMHO i think that a list with AFA´s descriptions (variants) will not be usefull in anyway.... just take a look to the Luke jedi graded figure, they are unable even to label correctly a flesh face luke jedi !!!LOL!!
I realized long time ago that AFA made a lot of mistakes on its labels frustrated ...some of my AFA graded figures suffered rubbering due to bad cashing thats why i freed many of them, now my entry loose collection is uncased and well stored for a better conservation....
just my two cents
Back to top Go down
HWR
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 am

Even more reasons not to collect AFA graded figures.

I have only owned one AFA graded figure in my life, it was a Lili-Ledy Leia Boussh, I got as a present from Joshua A at RS after the rough 2010 I had (well 2011 was even harder). He asked me to set the figure free, and that I gladly did. If I get any AFA graded figures in the future, they will suffer the same fate, imprisonment is for criminals not innocent Star Wars figures .
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 6:41 am

I wonder what they do about all the pbp variants, would they know or would they grade them worse because of color differences?
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 6:50 am

I seriously doubt they know the difference of a PBP from a Meccano. Thats one thing they need to start educating themselves on, the different companys and variants. The only why they would know if it was a PBP would be if it was a MOC that had PBP on it, and then they would probally get it wrong.
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 7:03 am

After all horror stories I've read lately I'm happy I haven't sent in my stuff yet. Still thinking on ukg though. But I'm having second thoughts, don't want it bashed in the mail on the way home.

While talking about it, my neighbor bought a figure the other day. It arrived in pieces, arm and leg missing, with a note that it had been damaged during transportation, ofc "Posten" took no responsibility as always when they run stuff over with their cars.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 7:28 am

HWR wrote:
Even more reasons not to collect AFA graded figures.

I have only owned one AFA graded figure in my life, it was a Lili-Ledy Leia Boussh, I got as a present from Joshua A at RS after the rough 2010 I had (well 2011 was even harder). He asked me to set the figure free, and that I gladly did. If I get any AFA graded figures in the future, they will suffer the same fate, imprisonment is for criminals not innocent Star Wars figures .

Kudos Henrik Very Happy

I have freed 5 LL figures from these coffins...and a few others! LOL
Back to top Go down
frunkstar
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
frunkstar

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 9:39 am

Not trying to bach AFA, but most of the guys that do the grading are quote -"impartial" so how could they know as they are just not in to the figures/variations & subtle differences that a dedicated collector would pick up on, this is why I have chosen to have my baggies cased by UKG, firstly they are collectors with a love of the hobby so are more likely to know what they are casing & secondly they are willing to listen, I sent items in with descriptions on grip seal bags 9the ones with the write on white strips) for each figure clearly stating which baggie type & what figure variation if applicable, they then double check the info is correct & label them acordingly.

& regarding the damage in transit issue - they sent my graded figure back in a box within another box, outer box had loose fill (packing peanuts) & the inner one had lots of bubble wrap, one of the best packaging jobs I have even seen TBH & the cases Steve has put together for me for my baggies to my specific requirements preventing any movement of the figure within the box, making sending them child's play, I am sure this method could also be applied to looses figures & it only costs £3 extra to have them cased in this manor.

I was on the fence about the whole grading thing as I have seen some real horror stories & some real bodge jobs, but after damaging 2 of my baggies myself over the years of collecting I decided to take the plunge & am happy I did, you only need to look at ESB-a baggies in the wrong way & they split, so its a long term protection issue as well as a display issue I am concerned with, but to the question at hand - the correct description is paramount for me, not point having some uber rare variation if it just says "Han Solo" now is it as its missing the point entirely IMO.

This is how mine looked when I got it back - note the description on the lable.

Loose AFA/UKG descriptions IMGP9421
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions IMGP9422
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions IMGP9423
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions IMGP9424
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions IMGP9425
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions IMGP9426
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Thats the thing with AFA. Their grades are not collectors and are told they cant collect what they grade. I think it would be in their best intrest if they actually did let collectors grade the items. Like Frank said, at least they would actually know what they are looking at.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 7:48 pm

I didn't start this thread as another grading basher Wink My main goal this year is to 'catalogue' my collection. I use a heap of different variant threads, sites, collection limelights & guides for information. NONE are 100% complete or accurate. I figured lots of collectors have graded variants so I was getting other ideas of how they are 'named' . Even if it is to get ideas on how NOT to label my figures Razz I can no longer keep up with what I have & what I need in my head.

I am not a fan of naming variants but I need to work out a way to describe what I have ( & I what I am missing/want)
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 2:06 am

aussiejames wrote:

I am not a fan of naming variants but I need to work out a way to describe what I have ( & I what I am missing/want)

I actually save pictures from stuff Im searching. That makes it most easy IMO. I have a folder here thats called "wishlist". And a few folders in there like "paint variant", "coo", "Poch/PBP" etc.....

So I just save pictures from stuff missing here! The problems is that there are figures Im searching and I have no pictures of them....these I always forget hunting...LOL!!! But also this can be solved.....I give an example:

You search a LL Nien nunb but you dont have a picture of it! So you have your folder that is called "Lili Ledy" and could put a picture of a normal Nien Nunb in there.....so you always know you need a LL Nien Nunb even though you have no accurate picture of it saved Wink

The system works IMO....and it works better then "naming" these......what do you think??
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 3:12 am

Pictures are a great idea ( but have you seen the quality of pictures I take? Embarassed Laughing )
then I'm 'stuck' using other peoples' pictures & then there is no consistency.
I think I'm just going to have to make time & sort my shit out. I still like the idea of a brief description with my pictures. At the moment I'm just using bits of paper. Having it written down is useful when I go to swap meets, toy sales - I suppose I can eventually get a laptop.
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:48 am

I know exactly what James is saying. I'm gearing up to hopefully soon start going through my loose figures, but i'm quite sure i will have no idea with many exactly what they are. It's just been too long with some & there are soooo many...
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 6:35 am

Tank1252 wrote:
I know exactly what James is saying. I'm gearing up to hopefully soon start going through my loose figures, but i'm quite sure i will have no idea with many exactly what they are. It's just been too long with some & there are soooo many...

i use the fotw thread to get my figs catalogised (hope you guys dont mind)
One figur each week is enough to take pictures of and coo decide them Smile
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 am

Maybe we could work out some list. I'm having the same problem.
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Heh, here's one for you, "Metallic Green Hair" on a Princess Leia. Saw this one on eBay (there now). Great idea for a thread BTW!
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 pm

I thought you were joking Pat Shocked
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions Afaloose80leialabel
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Ok... Anyone got a pic of the actual metallic green hair leia? I really want to see what it is lol

Edit: Pic from an auction, looking at pic two, it looks very suspicious.
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions 53472910
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions 53472911

Last edited by Rawlin on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Loose AFA/UKG descriptions Afaloose80leia
Loose AFA/UKG descriptions $(KGrHqR,!gwE4bYSUq9(BOYGVs4Sgg~~60_1
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Thats got to be oxidation right?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Rawlin wrote:
with/or a combination of other degredation factors/outcomes.

"Examples of transformants/degraded figures

Below you see a list of known examples of transformants. Some of them are being discussed in this thread.

Please post pics of other transformants in this thread, so I can update this list with the new ones once in a while.

FIGURES
- Boba Fett faded limbs
- Chewbacca green limbs
- Death Star Droid golden torso + limbs
- Hammerhead green limbs
- Jawa speckled limbs (Toltoys)
- Leia Bespin green neck
- Leia Organa pale yellow hands
- Leia Organa green metalic hair"

^^ from:
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3379-everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-discolored-figures-but-were-afraid-to-ask
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 pm

aussiejames wrote:
Rawlin wrote:
with/or a combination of other degredation factors/outcomes.

"Examples of transformants/degraded figures

Below you see a list of known examples of transformants. Some of them are being discussed in this thread.

Please post pics of other transformants in this thread, so I can update this list with the new ones once in a while.

FIGURES
- Boba Fett faded limbs
- Chewbacca green limbs
- Death Star Droid golden torso + limbs
- Hammerhead green limbs
- Jawa speckled limbs (Toltoys)
- Leia Bespin green neck
- Leia Organa pale yellow hands
- Leia Organa green metalic hair"

^^ from:
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3379-everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-discolored-figures-but-were-afraid-to-ask

I figured Razz Don't think it's yellowed under the paint since face looks alright, so got to be a metal in the paint used that cause oxidation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loose AFA/UKG descriptions   Loose AFA/UKG descriptions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loose AFA/UKG descriptions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next