The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 1:41 pm

welcome to TIG, Psybertech!

Wolff did a superb job when he published his COO guide. After he published it, more COOs were discovered, and hopefully they will be included in a next version one day.

psybertech wrote:

The COO guide image (layout of the variations with numbers and info) at the top of the COO for Darth Vader seems to stop at #18.
However, on page 1 of this thread there is a picture with a COO that is not shown on the list of the 18 I see on the COO page for Vader but "RetroRewindToys" [ post # 61284 about 2/3s the way down the page #1 - sorry, I didn't figure out a direct link to it ] has a picture of it that he labeled as #20.

The COO is a Hong Kong one that says "Made in Hong Kong", not just the normal 'Hong Kong' text.

Does anyone have any info on that #20 and where a full COO image/guide of any numbers above #18 might exist?

Here is some more info on the "Made in Hong Kong" variant.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3737-made-in-hong-kong-ong-kong-vader-coos-pic-heavy?highlight=hong+kong

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Thank you sir.

I just came across some of my lightly played with figures that were mostly just displayed from my childhood and then cased up and forgot about. When I saw a COO not on the main list, I was a little giddy. It's a keeper for sure!

No DT sabers so far though, but an odd COO Vader is definitely making me smile!

Thanks again. This site is not only a wealth of info (too much to be honest!!!!) as well as a great flashback to my youth.

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 7:28 am

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 XD7ND6E
L/R Top Toys / Kenner (HK) / Lili Ledy / Glasslite
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:30 am

Unique PBP produced, Coo VI.2, blobbed out coo with 'H' remaining

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 CooGuide_zps2cb64b36
Picture used with the kind permission of Wolff, and is taken from his excellent Coo 3.0 Guide

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/anh/darth-vader/#a

This is the PBP/European produced coo VI.2c? variant, which is the former version of coo VI.2b deep scar, also known as the "Clipper variant".
It is also thought that this figure is a unique PBP figure, only released in Spain, making it, Like its Poch predecessor, incredibly hard to come by outside of Spain. But also very rare in Spain also.
The coo classification that I have used is not entirely correct, as it may not be a stand alone coo variant, and has still yet to be recognized as such.
In fact it is most likely  that the filling on the scar may have broken out, at some point, and had to be re done on this particular steel mold, resulting in the VI.2b coo. This would also help to explain the rarity of the VI.2 blobbed out coo figure, as perhaps only a small batch was produced before the damage to the scar occurred.

Evidence of this type of 'coo fill' damage can be seen on other PBP figures, like the PBP Lando (original), CCP, Dengar and Hoth trooper. As there are a lot of coo scar variations of these figures and it is unlikely that they all came from separate molds. More likely that the filling to the coo scar broke and had to be refilled, resulting in yet another coo variation.

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 DSCF6981_zpsdeef21ce

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 DSCF6954_zps89c6c388

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 Coocomparison_zps37ab77ae

Red over white applied paint apps, as is common with PBP variants.
It appears to be the same mask used as on its later coo counterpart. VI.2 blobbed out coo is on the left of the picture, VI.2b on the right.

However it is entirely possible that other types of spray masks, or over spray, was used on the VI.2 blobbed out coo, as can be seen in the differences between these two PBP VI.2a figures below.

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 VI2apaintcomparison_zpsdfbf3db4

Different multiple angle shots of the VI.2 blobbed out coo

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 Untitled-2_zps86f9d113

As you can see, being from the same mold as the "Clipper variant", it has the larger, more rectangular shaped feet.

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 Untitled-1_zps5b8dab43

The sonic welding to the torso is misaligned on my figure, but is not necessarily the case with all VI.2 blobbed out coo figures produced. However after speaking to a small number of collectors who have one of these figures, it would appear to be a fairly common trait among this variant.

Cape Inside
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 DSCF6984_zps27524522

the cape is long and has a gloss to the outside with a very slightly duller finish to the inside of the cape. Texture is smooth, with no cross hatching, so therefore no zipping sound. corners are rounded and arm holes are small. Much like on a Roguse cape, but is fractionally shorter, more narrow and thinner than the Roguse. Another similarity to the Roguse cape and other European/PBP produced capes, is the error cut, or slight step in about an inch from the bottom of the cape on both sides.

Cape Outside
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 DSCF6985_zps838a473d

The Saber for this rare variant can be found with a round transition tip and is darker orange in colour than the regular Euro no coo, red saber.
This darker orange saber and PBP cape can also be found on the VI.2a (deep scar with 'H' remaining) and VI.2b (deep scar, "Clipper"). But these two coo variants are more commonly found with the European red, round transition tip saber. It is also possible that the VI.2 blobbed out coo variant can also be found with the red saber.

Below is a list of the three main rounded transition tip, saber variants:

#1-is the common bright orange saber, found on U.S released figures
#2-is the red saber, found on European released figures
#3-is the darker orange saber (missing tip), found on PBP produced figures

saber pics to follow

More links featuring the VI.2 blobbed out coo variant

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/anh/darth-vader/#a

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4427p285-the-poch-pbp-Post-thread#85447

Massive thanks to Kenneth B, Oscar, Lee_M and Wolff for their help and info on this very rare figure  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 4:34 pm

:bump:
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Palitoy SW 12-back

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 145666785957573900_resized

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 145666786110705900_resized

Kenner ROTJ MIM 65-back

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 145666795934600200_resized

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 145666796373638500_resized
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 pm

:bump: for beautiful, new title pictures by Thundershot!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5