The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

how are AFA prices determined?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

how are AFA prices determined? Empty
PostSubject: how are AFA prices determined?   how are AFA prices determined? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:06 am

Hi folks,

very noob question here. I have been collecting comics for years and know about the darn CGG system but i never understood how people came up with those exorbitant prices on them.

Same goes for AFA. I have seen some awesome looking loose figures and some counterpart AFA figure that look roughly the same and the price differences are insane. Ok, i know that the AFA figures " should be " the end all of it all in grading assurance but still. I have paid 35$ for a high grade (C-9.x + according to vendor and he was right ... ) Luke Jedi knight...god knows what i would have paid if i had bought it AFA certified.

anyway to make it short...how or who determines those jacked up prices?

thanks
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: how are AFA prices determined?   how are AFA prices determined? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 am

budspencer wrote:

anyway to make it short...how or who determines those jacked up prices?

Demand and condition determine price, collectors themselves create the market. I don't buy AFA but those that do usually want the best looking figures with the highest grades. Money is not a problem it seems and of course a seller will put the highest price he can on his items if he knows he can get it.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: how are AFA prices determined?   how are AFA prices determined? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Getting items graded by AFA is not cheap, which has to be factored into peoples asking price. But IMO 'Buy it now' prices on eBay for AFA items are usually very over priced, mainly due to the sellers greed! However, (as already mentioned) for genuine auction listings it is us collectors that determine the price.
I personally don't aim to buy graded items. I have some in my collection, but due to shopping around I got them for less than I have seen ungraded examples sell for.
I would imagine that a lot of the over priced items sold are purchased by new collectors who have a large disposable income and don't know any better.
I have never understood U grading loose figures or the premium they attract! Surely an AFA 85 figure is in the same condition as an AFA U85?
Other threads have highlighted the floors in AFA e.g. inconsistant grading of moc's & grading loose figures with repro weapons!!
In time I'm sure the prices will settle down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how are AFA prices determined?   how are AFA prices determined? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how are AFA prices determined?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1