The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A-Wing Pilot ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:32 am

Hi guys, I looked at some of my A-Wing pilots and was shocked to see the legs was spread different. Not much but a little bit.

A-Wing Pilot ? Sta60053

From Left to Right.

The first 2 I have from søren's childhood collection. The first one is 1,7 cm between the legs. The second one is 1,6 cm between the legs.

The last 2 I have bought many years ago in USA on Ebay. They are bought 1,4 cm between the legs.

What do you think ?

Is there any difference between the Droids, Kenner and Tri-logo A-Wing Pilots ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:39 am

No difference IMO & despite the reference to a wide stance by 'many' variant collectors I do not believe this is of any significance for any character.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:54 am

RE: Wider legs on figures, another thread on another forum once highlighted to me the fact that due to the Speeder Bikes inability to actually hold a figure very well most kids just jammed the Biker Scout figure on it and off he went, sometimes jammed so hard onto the bike that he usually stayed there for a while - of course this also happened to other figures and not only on Speeder Bikes..I once found a collection of loose figures where the original owner had them doing the splits on tables, his bed, the radiator, you name it.

I just thought that might be useful to know that after being played with and in many cases left in a certain pose for extended periods of time (jammed onto speeder bikes for example) the legs often stay that way until heated again and moved back to their normal position, of course, play time aside don't forget that there could be many variables during production (limbs not fitted properly etc)

As a result - I personally wouldn't use the width between a figures legs to determine anything related to variations, that would be on par with weighing figures IMO. My 2 p Smile
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 7:19 am

I agree with aussiejames & Joe_O, as far as loose figures are concerned the stance of the legs is no indication of diffenrent releases / diffrerent factories. Once a figure is removed from a card, who knows what has happened to it unless you are the original owner! Even carded figures can show subtle differences.
As far as I am aware there is no recognised 'variant' for the A-Wing Pilot.

On a separate note, did you successfully re-assemble your AT-ST?

Last edited by cantina_patron on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 7:22 am

Thanks guys, maybe some kids have played with them. But legs seems tight.

Sick story about the figures on the radiator.

I know the 2 from søren can only have come from Tri-logo.

This is just a theory, but could the Tri-logo A-Wing pilot have more Spread legs than the Kenner and Droids version ?

Again the 2 from søren is Tri-logo and the other 2 from usa could maybe have been on a kenner or droids card. But again also a Tri-logo card.

I have read many years ago a story about they maid the figures with different spread legs and different colors. So when kids maid army build then the figures did not look the same. But if that is true I don't know. I also can't remember where I read it. But it had something to due with the gamorrean guard who was produced in different green colors.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 7:26 am

I won't refer to these as variants for the reason Joe mentioned b4.

And even if they were, I wouldn't find them interesting enough to collect. There are way more interesting legit variants out there. Very Happy

About weighing figures. I thought that was just proposed in anther thread to confirm differences in the used plastics, having different densities. In this way one could theoretically distinguish between for instance soft and hard torso variants for whatever reason. It was IMO not meant to introduce a new branch of variant collecting purely based upon mass differences.

That would be uttermost boring, wouldn't it?!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 9:05 am

I have never relly played with the two A-Wings pilots . I just took them off the ugly Trilogo card they where on . So i 25 years later could sell one of the cardbacks to Joe Very Happy

So they where like that when they came off the card back then .

Last edited by soren on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 10:30 am

I dont think 3mm is a hugh difference. I would imagine that figures are pulled from the moulds at slightly different times and the cooling/setting of the plastic may have varied slightly. You tend to find that the figures with the wider stance have slightly shorter legs as if the plastic has contracted. The figures with the narrower stance seem to have longer legs as if they cooled and set much quicker. I wouldnt call it a variation.

Some nice looking A-Wing pilots Smile
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 11:55 am

Hi guys thanks for all the cool answers Very Happy

Also nice to know søren you have not played with the A-wing pilots Wink So know I know those figures have the same size as when they was on moc Very Happy

Maybe 3mm is not that much it is ½ a-wing pilot foot lol!

I just thought it was strange that the figures I have from usa was smaller than the tri-logo figures.

I guess we will only know more if we get some moc or some A-Wing pilots molds study
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Wow guys... I'm really kind of shocked. I'm not saying there aren't leg variations, but measuring the distance between the legs on figures to find a variant?

I can understand if it's just for curiosities sake, but you can't believe it's an actual "variant" can you?

Please don't forget these figures are 30+ years old in some cases. Lots can happen to them over the years. And that's not even mentioning the fact that they were played with when we were kids!!! You add to that the fact that all kinds of things can happen in the production process and there's just no way that this kind of thing can be a variant!

If that's what you want to do, then more power to you. However, before you start looking that hard for something, you should go watch some of the production videos of Kenner factories on YouTube. I think you'll get a new appreciation for just how they were all put together.
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm

nice assortment. I just need one Smile
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am

Hi chris do you have a link to does videos ?
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:05 pm

pomse2001 wrote:
Hi chris do you have a link to does videos ?

Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Once you see figure production for what it really is you surely must understand that at times collectors are over thinking things.
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 pm

This is one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR13dW2yUKg
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm

curch wrote:
This is one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR13dW2yUKg

Not sure how this has to do with Kenner factory footage, but it is certainly a classic commercial. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Wow I learned a lot about figure production from that one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for posting those guys!

As you can see... even at the factory there wasn't much "care" put into the figures. We are lucky there weren't more mistakes than what we have today. And if you look carefully, even some of those Zuckuss look like they have wider legs. Wink
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:17 pm

I couldn't help myself....sorry Smile I guess since they were not yet in the stores....they were still being produced ?Smile
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 pm

RebelChris wrote:
..even some of those Zuckuss look like they have wider legs. Wink

AND...If you pause the footage at just the right moment you can also see the very rare "I Wish I had a better job" variant worker Smile
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Finally. A bit of sanity brought to the table. cheers Not every figure that has a blop of paint on its face or that has legs that are farther apart is a variation. It's called manufacturing tolerances. Collect what you like, but give it some thought a bit.

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:27 pm

LIKE LIKE LIKE Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Joe, I bet you never thought you'd be called the sane one huh? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A-Wing Pilot ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A-Wing Pilot ?   A-Wing Pilot ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A-Wing Pilot ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next