The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons Empty
PostSubject: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 4:33 pm

First off, hello! I have been lurking here on and off for about a month now. This site has some great info, I have picked up quite a bit of knowledge that I have been able to use in my toy hunting. I am looking forward to becoming an active member now that I have a little more free time.

Anyway, I have been buying loose lots for the last few months so I can build a complete loose collection on a budget. So far this has gone EXTREMELY well since I just broke 600 bucks spending and I have all 79 original figures (missing a handful of ewok weapons) and more than half of the POTF (most arent complete) tons of variants, a VC Jawa (torn cape) and a blue Snag...best part is I have 200 or so loose figures (some complete) that I can sell/ trade/ customize also!

Well yesterday, a friend called me and said someone had a Vader case full of figures he wanted to sell, so naturally I went to check it out. There were no major figures in the lot, about a dozen complete ROTJ characters, another dozen incomplete and some renegade weapons with no figures. Anyway, one set of accessories he had was a green Luke Jedi saber, an off colored pistol and a VERY weird cape. I was told this may be a LL set, but I have no idea about these foreign items.

It looks to me to be a snap cape variant that was sewn shut for some reason??? After checking here I am curious to see if this is the case. Here are some crappy iPhone pics, let me know what you guys think.

Side by side with my blue saber Luke, I put a MIHK Luke in for display reasons:
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 23f31f0a

Cape flipped inside out..the stitching is consistent throughout (pic is garbage, sorry )
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons B6e549d4

Not the best pic again
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 71c3d082

all 3 blasters together
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 36fb64bc

I have no clue what a LL Luke would be worth, but did I shoot and score again, or get some busted junk, lol

Here are pics of the jawa and Snag also

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 898fd1fd
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 35f506bf
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 95e606d6
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:42 am

Welcome to the site Tim, I'm not sure on the Blaster but have a look here
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t2135-lili-ledy-discussion-thread

Also pics of both Lukes faces, sabers and COO's would help.
Back to top Go down
Yr1977
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Yr1977

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:28 am

Im interested to find out also, I like the brown cloke alot.
Nice VC Jawa by tthe way Wink
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:43 pm

The lot didnt have a Luke figure, just some accessories. This site has some amazing info, I am sure we will get it figured out Smile

I love that Jawa, and when I broke the lot down, he was only 3 bucks. The Snaggletooth wasn't even 3 (he was in a lot of 55 figures)
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:34 pm

OK, more weirdness from this lot....

First off, it has 2 different vibro axes, which I found out were mold variations. One is about 1/4" longer than the other. I had no idea there were so many weapons variants!

Second, which is really cool, I have a really odd Vader cape. I removed all the capes to wash the figures and I noticed this cape has a really prominent texture on the inside. Its not like any of my other capes, and I dont think its a repro based on it was in the lot of stuff thats been in an attic for 25 years.

Back side of cape, normal cape on top, oddball on bottom, seem to be the same
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons F70b1bc6

inside of capes, oddball on top
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons F5a53fec

Leg stamp from figure. I am making a wool cape and surcoat for him Smile
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons Ea7e57e1
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons D8b3e520

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Weapon variants : http://www.imperialgunnery.com/thestaffsaxessection.htm Wink
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for that link! I saw the differences in the weapons, now I just need to get some info on that cape!
Back to top Go down
Yr1977
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Yr1977

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 6:44 pm

The fabric cape you made looks nice, could we see a pic of him with it?? I think its a really cool idea!
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 7:06 pm

This is still in its earliest stages. I haven't even begun to sew, or weigh down the fabric. I am also going to make a vinyl cod piece and belt for him, cut the belt boxes off of a trashed vintage vader and I have a great idea for the saber. I hope to work on him a bit more this month and at least get his body repainted

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons DSCN4779
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons DSCN4780

Custom tailored surcoat. Yeah, i didnt even THINK about tracing the vinyl cape :buzzing:
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons DSCN4781
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Tim Vader wrote:
First off, hello! I have been lurking here on and off for about a month now. This site has some great info, I have picked up quite a bit of knowledge that I have been able to use in my toy hunting. I am looking forward to becoming an active member now that I have a little more free time.

Anyway, I have been buying loose lots for the last few months so I can build a complete loose collection on a budget. So far this has gone EXTREMELY well since I just broke 600 bucks spending and I have all 79 original figures (missing a handful of ewok weapons) and more than half of the POTF (most arent complete) tons of variants, a VC Jawa (torn cape) and a blue Snag...best part is I have 200 or so loose figures (some complete) that I can sell/ trade/ customize also!

Well yesterday, a friend called me and said someone had a Vader case full of figures he wanted to sell, so naturally I went to check it out. There were no major figures in the lot, about a dozen complete ROTJ characters, another dozen incomplete and some renegade weapons with no figures. Anyway, one set of accessories he had was a green Luke Jedi saber, an off colored pistol and a VERY weird cape. I was told this may be a LL set, but I have no idea about these foreign items.

It looks to me to be a snap cape variant that was sewn shut for some reason??? After checking here I am curious to see if this is the case. Here are some crappy iPhone pics, let me know what you guys think.

Side by side with my blue saber Luke, I put a MIHK Luke in for display reasons:
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 23f31f0a

Cape flipped inside out..the stitching is consistent throughout (pic is garbage, sorry )
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons B6e549d4

Not the best pic again
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 71c3d082

all 3 blasters together
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 36fb64bc

I have no clue what a LL Luke would be worth, but did I shoot and score again, or get some busted junk, lol

Here are pics of the jawa and Snag also

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 898fd1fd
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 35f506bf
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons 95e606d6

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum. I have only just seen you question so sorry for the delay.

Sorry to the bearer of bad news but that cape is not a Lili Ledy cape. Neither is the gun sorry.

Both accessories you have there have come from a Kenner Luke Jedi figure that was made by the “HT” factory in Hong Kong. This particular factory made Luke Jedi figures with a COO of “MADE IN HONG KONG” on the leg.

I can see why you may think it was lili ledy as the gun mould is identical to both factories. Essentially the “HT” factory moulds were used to make the ledy Luke so they both share the same figure and gun sculpt. But the paint on the Ledy figure is totally different and the gun is moulded in a different colour plastic which is greener than the Hong Kong version

The cape you show is definitely a HT cape (with some discolouration) and it would have had a snap fastener as you said. (Note ledy never made a snap cape)

Here a comparision shot I did a while back the the three major Kenner Luke Jedi out there:

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons Capes_10

This is a phot of my Luke Jedi from Sacko (via Marco):

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons Hombre10

The LL cape has a more wirery texture and is thinner.

For more info on the “HT” Luke please see my Luke Jedi guide.

For learning a bit more about Ledy then there’s
Marco’s Awesome Ledy Figure review. It totally comprehensive and has a detailed guide on Luke Jedi on page 7 (Scroll down past the boring SWD until you get to Luke Smile ).

If you look at the real ledy cape you can see it wirerier. As mentioned, note the “Made in Hong Kong” and Lili Gun are identical in sculpt. The only difference being the gun is moulded in a different plastic colour.

Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks for the info! Now my question is, how did this cape turn up do red? The texture does look off compared to the LL, so thats definitely not the same thing, but why would this cape be sewn together like it was? I am sure its possible that someone just did a quick sew job on it, but this one is sewn all the way around as you can see in the pic. Kind of overkill to stop a crying kid, haha. is it possible that this was a transition piece or something? Either way, its a cool looking piece next to my others, rare or not, and it was just a freebie basically in this lot I picked up.

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons DSCN4746
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons DSCN4731
Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons DSCN4735

Here is a pic of the blasters I have. The one in the middle came with that cape and green saber on the right. Again, there was no figure in the lot, only the accessories

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons DSCN4740

I see you have a Jedi Luke focus, hopefully you can aid me on my journey to getting some cool variations of the figure Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi Mate the Blaster is fine... it look very much original, right colour, and a kenner MIHK version - so consistent with the cape. Maybe the the original MIHK Luke got lost or seperated from the set.

In your previous post, you mentioned there was evidence of a snap being there previously. So I took your word for it being a snap cape version as I can't see the cap in person.

The fact that the stiching is consistent all the way through now leaves me now to speculate two options:

1) That the cape is not a snap cape but the stitched version from the same "Made in Hong Kong" (HT) factory. Basically, the material is the same but the cape is stitched fastened. This would seem more plasuable as the sticthing is consistent all the way through. The cape could of been damaged giving you the impression that it had a snap fasterner there. Without seeing it in my hands I could confirm sorry.

2) The other option is that it was a snap cape and a "customiser" has removed the snap restiched the whole cape and die the cape inorder to "fake" a LL cape. The only reason why I could see someone to restich a complete cape is only to create an elusion of authenticity. But even this would seem so much work for me even for a fraudster as there were stiched caped from the same factory with same textured capes.

The cape also has chemical damage on it (looks like bleaching in the Photos) which could indicate tampering with colour or something to do with the enviroment it was kept in. I don't know sorry.
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Well, I bought the lot locally from someone who had no idea what they were. He found the case and an old Lionel train in a house he was renovating. The items have been sitting for YEARS, everything was covered in dust and some were kinda sticky. I think that rules out any fraudulent activity from someone faking a LL. I suspected it may have been a snap cape because I saw a graded one with the exact same cape and it had the snap on it.

I originally thought it was just sewn shut till I looked in the inside because of the way it fits tight around the face. I do see that small spot on the front, I had considered that it may have been washed or something at some point because of it also, but everything just seems weird with it, so who knows.

Its probably just a regular old common cape thats been in an attic for 25 years and faded, either way, it looks different, so its going to sit next to my others Smile

Now, any idea where I can find a baggie blue saber Luke :buzzing:
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi Tim,

I didn't know it had been sitting in an attic for 22 years - it fine mate. I can't see it being any thing more then a standard stiched "made in hong kong cape". The same material is used on both snap and stitched versions and the stiching is consistent throughout.

Crazy the the colour has discoloured like that though - maybe the kid's mum washed the cape for him or something or maybe it just naturally discoloured. Stuff does.

Admitly the degraded cape is nice piece to have because of the red colour so I am glad you are going to keep it.

I am also glad too hear you are collecting Luke Jedi too and looking forward to seeing you pick-ups. There's a few of us Luke Jedi collectors on TIG now so it great seeing people picking up new Luke Jedi item.

As for the blue Luke Baggie - it is one of my grail items as I don't have the Kenner version yet. But I can certainly let you know if there's one on the radar and I don't plan to get it.

all the best mate and the costumes rock!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons   Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weird Jedi Luke cape, weapons

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1