The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Serket
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Serket

Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 am

Cool thread.....this always comes up every few months. Green limb Chewie, blue pants prune face.......Alright on the subject of legite and nonlegite variants, what does everyone think of Orange Cape Squidhead?? I have heard both sides of the story. There are no recorded MOC orange cape squid heads that I am aware of (please correct me if I am wrong) and that AFA also don't recognise it as a variant (but they do with green limbs chewie??) but others say it can't be fading because it is too uniform throughout the cape. Also to make it a little more confusing one sold recently on ebay for $160aud. (i'm sure everyone knows about this sellers recent auctions).

So whats everyones opinion on OCSH??
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:03 am

Don't know anything about it, first time I see it to be honest, Would think it was a burgundy that had lost color first but the cloth texture wasn't right.

Maybe someone washed it one or two times too many and using bleach? I got some different colored luke cloaks but they show obvious signs of being worn down. Think if it was fading, as have been pretty much discussed this week. Then there should be some on cardbacks as well.

It's odd that there are more then one. Is it many of these with the same orange color?
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
Serket
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Serket

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 am

This is a pic of my orange cape Squid......that i bought for $4aud about 6 months ago. The brown cape one is in there for comparision. I would love to think that this is a legite variant but I will always have my doubts until I see a MOC example. Anyone have one??? Anyone one know of one??
Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? Squid_10Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? Squid_11
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 am

Might just be the picture, but is the orange lighter at the bottom? I don't think the right one can become that color.
Back to top Go down
Serket
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Serket

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 am

Rawlin wrote:
Might just be the picture, but is the orange lighter at the bottom? I don't think the right one can become that color.

It does look a little lighter at the bottom in the pic.....mmmm i'll investigate further when i get home. Not too sure how common these are or not. Don't see too many of them come up on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 am

Don't forget to keep information on certain figures in one easy to find place for the future you can open a new thread to discuss a new figure instead of asking in a Chewbacca thread, it's just a little harder to remember where the discussion took place unless it has a designated thread. Very Happy

On the subject though (because I am sure a mod can split the two discussions into two threads)

Here are some informative threads -

Orange Squid cape discussion 1

Orange Squid cape discussion 2

The long and the short of it is- there are two possible origins: A light brown cape HK Kenner figure that has slightly faded or a burgundy Ledy cape that has faded.

Not too many people think that the Orange colour was that colour straight out of the factory but again- I will just leave you guys to figure out your own opinions based on the information in the above threads Smile

Edit- also don't rule out tampered with, back a few years ago when variant madness set in and people were paying $100+ for these orange capes and other figures, dealers/ebay cunts were fucking with capes to get some good $$$ - so be careful of what you are buying and how much you are spending for something like this.
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 10:52 am

Indeed a squidhead thread would have been better, since this has nothing to do with chewbacca.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Rawlin wrote:
Indeed a squidhead thread would have been better, since this has nothing to do with chewbacca.

Done! Very Happy

Interesting topic. I have a few different coloured Squid Head capes: grey, brown, rose, orange, burgundy.

I will make some pics next weekend and post them here.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 4:43 pm

somebody say squid Very Happy

Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? DSC_0499

iam gonna go say that i think its fading from brown not burgundy

specialy when all these squids have the same coo

sure there are fakes out there , but iam pretty sure its because the repo guys saw a legit faded first sell for bigger bucks

i mean its not like there are any blue or pink ones out there for the obviues reasons

Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 5:05 pm

would be an amazing transformation from the one to the left to the one to the right. Or is there a more brown one? I like squidhead a lot but only had a few and all have been the same as the one to the left. But still think one should be on card if faded or legit.

If I get a spare sometime I'll try the washing machine with bleach Razz though I have trouble seeing the dark one becoming a bright orange. Think it would get more light grayish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?   Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Orange Cape Squid Head: Variation, Discolouration, or Fake?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1