The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? Empty
PostSubject: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:43 am

Hi all

I having a bit of a problem and hopefully a few of you will be able to help me out. Since I started collecting I've done quite a lot of research in to weapons, original and repo. I'm sure I'm right but as you know havent been collecting long so theres a good chance I'm not.

I got a vader Light saber which didnt look right so did the float test, it sank. Do all original light sabers float?
I then tried to see if i could hear the difference and when i dropped it the tip snapped in half, this confirmed to me that it was a repo is it was a more brittle plastic.

Am I right or do I owe this guy a massive apology, any help really appreciated.

Thanks Scott
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 am

Hello All,
Wonderful first post, but I am the seller in this case (I am also ToddG on Rebelscum where the transaction took place), and Scott and I are just trying to get to the bottom of this at this point. I have already refunded him for the saber. So we are square there. I think we both would just like to figure out whether or not the float test works on sabers at this point.

THanks
ToddG
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 am

short answer:

no a float test doesnt work on the telescoping sabers!

Some pics around???

(also: tips from originals can be veeeeeery brittle!)
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 am

Todd and Scott

Glad you guys are resolving it in a nice manner. Nice to see.

Can you guys post some pics? I'm sure the pictures will help. Between this motely crew we'll figure it out.

Scott - Just to reiterate what Wolff said, the float test isn't the way to go on these and tips, well, if they were solid we wouldnt have "missing tip" written on more ebay ads than circumcision announcements.

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 am

ToddG wrote:
Hello All,
Wonderful first post, but I am the seller in this case (I am also ToddG on Rebelscum where the transaction took place), and Scott and I are just trying to get to the bottom of this at this point. I have already refunded him for the saber. So we are square there. I think we both would just like to figure out whether or not the float test works on sabers at this point.

THanks
ToddG

Hi Todd welcome to the TIG forum buddy Smile I got your RS PM this weekend and have been looking into this for you guys.

I have tested about half the Vader Sabers i own (about 40) here are the results -

Earlier issued sabers e.g flat transition and many with letters on the hilt can sink the later sabers round tip transition, taiwan, ledy etc float.

The float test is not really a test that you would apply to vintage sabers hence this isn't mentioned on the imperial gunnery.

The only sabers i don't own to test are the Toptoys and Glassite Sabers so hopefully some of the guys can test them.

Its important to note its not a case of a simple blanket rule of Original Float Repros Sink.

For example Original Gam Guard Axes Sink yet the high quality Gam Guard Axe Floats. This why i believe its important that as many collectors get involved to ensure that the correct info is put out there Smile

If you put pictures up Scott i can pretty much guarantee its a flap tip transition early issue saber.

Jay

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:15 am

Just to add Scott the early flat tip transition sabers have very brittle ends in comparison to the later sabers.

From what im reading its sound like an Original Saber to me.

This picture make help explain further what we are referring to -

Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? Tls_co10

Jay

Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas. I understand that the tips can be brittle but thought it would more likely snap at the joint.
Both these sabers are suppose to be #4 on the gunnary the top one sinks, the bottom one floats. Sorry about the pics but thats the best the old girls going to give out.

Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? DSCF2557
Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? DSCF2571
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm

You cant really tell from the pic but the top one is slightly smaller and also thinner. Scott
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:32 pm

Sorry not to computer literate, could not figure how to post, below is a link to the original for sale picture. blown up to show only the saber. I thought it was a #4 when I sold it.

Thanks
Todd

click to enlarge
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4469726&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=&vc=#Post4469726
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 pm

i would say from both pics:

100% original. Of course the one from todd is better and the opinion is mostly from this one!

I saw several sabers that broke "in the middle" of the tip. Not on the transition part!

There is one on ebay right now...a luke!

So thats possible

(I cannot post pics because its a life auction, sorry guys)

But todd was right: original saber...floating or not!

Jay: Im nutr sure if one example of each saber mold can confirm the floating test! Its a material question and not a mold question. So its possible that other sabers can be found with same mold but different behavior! Be carefull with these tests!

Otherwise great idea...and I will check as soon as somebody offers me full replacement if the next tip breaks off for an experiment!

(I already lost 10-15 tips because of playing, falling and doing experiments for the forum....so sorry guys...no more!)
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks for your reply Wobafett, Original it is then.

So for future refrence the float test isn't reliable at all and I'll going of sight only, If it looks like the original's on the Gunnery then that will do for me, I think I've got a good enough eye for detail.

That really is a result as I also have a blue one in my repo bag that looks original but it also sank when I did the test.

Thanks again for all the replies in this thread and I'm glad we got to the bottom of it in the end.

Todd, I'll sort you back out in the next few minutes mate, and I really am sorry for all the shiit caused.

Thanks again for the figs, Scott
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 pm

snaggletooth wrote:
Thanks for your reply Wobafett, Original it is then.

So for future refrence the float test isn't reliable at all and I'll going of sight only, If it looks like the original's on the Gunnery then that will do for me, I think I've got a good enough eye for detail.

That really is a result as I also have a blue one in my repo bag that looks original but it also sank when I did the test.

Thanks again for all the replies in this thread and I'm glad we got to the bottom of it in the end.

Todd, I'll sort you back out in the next few minutes mate, and I really am sorry for all the shiit caused.

Thanks again for the figs, Scott

I wouldnt Worry this have proved a good discussion and one that can benefit collectors Smile

Its was good to see you and ToddG both posting to get to the bottom of it.

Wolff - your right bro pretty much all sabers can float or sink as its material dependent it just seems they earlier ones do sink more but of course some of the laterones can sink as well.

Bottom Line Float Tests shouldnt be applied to sabers.

I also agree the saber in ToddG's picture looks 100% Original.

Jay

Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Another valuable post. Good information to know!
Back to top Go down
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Scott,
No worries, and thanks for the re-refund back. I think the key is that Scott and I stayed cool during the whole thing. In the end it was not even about the money but about finding the answer, and give Scott credit for brining it out to the open forum so we all can learn a thing or 2.

Jay and Wolf,
Big thanks for your help in solving the mystery of the Floating Sabers.

Thanks
Todd G
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

ToddG wrote:
Scott,
No worries, and thanks for the re-refund back. I think the key is that Scott and I stayed cool during the whole thing. In the end it was not even about the money but about finding the answer, and give Scott credit for brining it out to the open forum so we all can learn a thing or 2.

Jay and Wolf,
Big thanks for your help in solving the mystery of the Floating Sabers.

Thanks
Todd G

Todd - you said it dude. Cool heads got this sorted in a friendly way with no hard feelings and / or animosity.

Hope you stick around!

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 4:54 am

Like Todd said, it wasn't about the money in the end we both just wanted to get to the bottom of it.

I dont mind being wrong and I dont mind doing it on the open forum if we're all going to learn from it.

I know It can piss people off, like Uli with the Ledi Blaster thing. But again I learned from that, as did a lot more members on here.

When I get that new camera, eventually I'll update the pics.

Scott
Back to top Go down
DLT9
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
DLT9

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:06 am

If i recall corectly there was à thread on lightsabers over at RS.
They used à blacklight to check the fluoresence of the saber.
À luke farmboy saber was used and i think they checked other sabers too.

Will try to find THE tread when i got THE time later this week.
Back to top Go down
DLT9
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
DLT9

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 am

Found it http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=4421892&Forum=All_Forums,f1&Words=Luke&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=4421892&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=d&bodyprev=#Post4421892

THE topic is invest in à blacklight.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 10:08 am

DLT9 wrote:
Found it http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=4421892&Forum=All_Forums,f1&Words=Luke&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=4421892&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=d&bodyprev=#Post4421892

THE topic is invest in à blacklight.

That topic is a good read Black Lights are invaluable when it comes to Prototype tests but the results when used on production figures can vary widely due to the vast amounts of plastic combination's used.

E.g if you put a black light on 5 of the same issue vintage Boba Fetts they would all show totally different results. It has some value with weapon testing but its limited and cant be relied upon as a sole test it needs to be used in conjunction with other tests.

My top tip is invest in a magnifying glass it makes a massive difference when checking small weapon details.

Going back to the Sabers i have put this picture together to hopefully highlight the differences between the 2 REPRO Variants (mass produced and the high quality ReValveit REPRO)

Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? VaderSaberOrigvREPROColourComparision

Cheers Jay

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 pm

Here are some pictures of the Ben REPRO Sabers -

Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? BenSaberREPROSComparision

PostSubject: Re: Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?   Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repo / Original Light sabers Float / Sink ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1