The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to remove stickers or residue off cards?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Raven
New User
New User
Raven

How to remove stickers or residue off cards? Empty
PostSubject: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 4:55 am

Hey guys, Im new to this forum,Been out of collecting for a number of years now, Use to be an avid loose collector, but just been bitten by the bug again tongue well gotta channel my ocd somewhere!! Laughing anyway has anyone got any ideas on how to remove that pesky residue from cardbacks?? Not sure if this thread has been done before or even if its in the right section? Im sure ill get the hang of it! Cheers.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 5:02 am

welcome Some stickers are easier than others to remove. First tip- practice on a cardback first. There are a few different 'chemicals' to try. Lighter fluid, goo gone ..... Just make sure you are willing to risk doing more damage. " well gotta channel my ocd somewhere!! " sounds very familiar Laughing
Back to top Go down
Raven
New User
New User
Raven

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 5:06 am

Cheers bud, I heard about the lighter fluid trick but wouldnt the cardback stink? I'll practice on a few beaters i spose, cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 6:47 am

As AJ said i would just spend one or 2 pound on some beater cardbacks with stickers and use them for practise prior to attempting anything on a MOC. I might have some spare cardbacks you can have to do this if you pay the postage let me know and ill see if still have any left.

Here is a good link

http://toyfixer.wordpress.com/category/carded-action-figures/

Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 7:14 am

I have had great success with WD40 sprayed onto a tissue.

Just go carefully, don't rub too hard. You can tell pretty quickly if its going to work or not.
If it looks like its not working stop, some stickers are easy and some are tough as fuck and WILL trash your card.
Back to top Go down
Raven
New User
New User
Raven

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Cheers for the offer jay but i got loads of old POTF2 cardbacks i'll prob practice on,Only prob is i'll prob get side tracked and burn the retched things Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Raven wrote:
Cheers for the offer jay but i got loads of old POTF2 cardbacks i'll prob practice on,Only prob is i'll prob get side tracked and burn the retched things Laughing

lol! Fuck em there only POTF2 good idea to practise on them actually!!

I personally quite like price stickers they can give the MOC character the only time i would consider removing them is if they covered the actual cardback image and to be honest i dont thing i have the balls to do it!

If you do remove some vintage MOC sticker post up the results and let us know how you get on Smile

New User
New User
Raven

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Hahaha fuck em indeed! Yeah no probs i'll stick some photo's on when i get round to it. cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 3:04 pm

I've been using Rubber Cement Thinner for years to remove price stickers from books, CDs, whatever (I am about as anal as you can get about caring for my stuff). "Bestine" brand is usually what I use. Just douse the sticker a few times then slip a sharp knife underneath and lift it off. Pour some on a kleenex for clean-up and you're done. It evaporates almost instantly and leaves no residue.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 4:07 pm

I cannot believ what I do have to read guys......get some chemical studys.....tze tze!

one basic: use ONE chemical...not mixtures.....those are shit...more damage....definatley! (thinner, and all house hold benzines are mixtures and have aromatic components in it which are unhealthy and very dangerous for the objects, cards etc.)

Second: I wont help.....I once gave advice and was the scapegout because some people are to clumsy and stupid to follow the simpliest advices!

Good luck everyone!

(really...get rid of this women household stuff....get to the real stuff Wink )

wolff
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 10:09 am

"Goo-Gone" all natural and works every time.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 10:24 am

Varied results with goo gone if I am honest- I am not normally one for removing stickers but when a sticker has already damaged a card the risk of damaging it is kind of gone for me, I would leave a sticker on if its not already been tried and its stuck decently- just buy them without if it bothers you so much.

If goo gone is left on too long and gets on the white/grey racetrack it can stain yellow and it looks worse in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to remove stickers or residue off cards?   How to remove stickers or residue off cards? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to remove stickers or residue off cards?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1