The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Which Figure Variants?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Well, it just comes across that you are after rare figures period. Put a fork in him he's done. I don't meant to come off as rude, sorry if I did, I will lower my caps in the post above Smile

I think its important to take on board, you are asking about 4-5 or more different things in one hit, I don't think its easy to take on all that information in one go, one post is about bootlegs, the next its DT's and HTF variants, people are chucking in loads of different licencees into the mix, it just looks like a crash course for burnout or even worse you will end up dabbling in too many things and buy something fake, some of these figures are very expensive mistakes if you get hoodwinked and by dipping your toe in all of them at the same time you are bound to come across something you don't know everything about and perhaps (I hope not) get rooked.

I guess I just think you should take your time, set out your own goals, if you really are going for the rarest of the rare, pick a figure someone has suggested to you as "rare" and learn about it for a week, gather images, check out limelights etc, rather than looking at a range of figures or a range of lines.

Perhaps that would be a better suggestion rather than "do some research" , I am a nice guy really 🎅
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 4:24 am

Research is the key Andy and part of the reason i set up this forum and The Imperial Gunnery Reference site was to help newer collectors who were taking thier steps into a larger world.

If you want a licensed desirable Stormtrooper then its would be the Lily Ledy The Tri / Hard Torso's are relatively common where as the Lily Ledy Stormtroopers are very hard to find in decent condition. The hardest part about trying to obtain a Lily Ledy Stormtrooper is finding on with the Original Lily Ledy weapon (which is significantly different to the kenner and other versions).

Expect to pay up when one is cited as the competition will be stiff Smile

Regarding an Orange Hair Luke the last minty one sold for about 300GBP and was won by a member of this forum. If anything they will cost you more than a DT Luke. As the lads have said the DT Luke only came with blonde hair so adding a DT Saber to an Orange Hair would be wrong.

Take a look a wbobafetts limelight here on TIG to get a better understanding of just how many rare and diverse lines there were e.g Lily Ledy, Glassite, PBP, Uzay Bootlegs etc.

By all means ask questions and we will always try and help out Smile The lads are telling you to do research as they dont want to see you get burned. It does seem you dont fully understanding the prices of some of the items your wanting. As Shawn said that Snap Cape auction was a very decent price as the cape alone can sell for near that.

I assume money isnt a problem for you as your goal is to have the most detailed / rareest version of each figure therefore you have to expect to pay hundreds of pounds for each example. e.g 250 - 350 GBP for a Lily Ledy Jawa removable hood, 250 GBP for an ungraded Vinyl Cape Jawa, 150GBP for a PBP 4-Lom, etc etc

Thats without waiting years sometimes for the opportunity to buy one.

On another note guys Andy is from the same town as me so how cool is that!

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 am

If for example Andy you decided to get a Glassite Figure which were the Official licensed figures in Brazil then these would definitely fit your rare, detailed and desirable remit but as i mention expect to spend big as they don't come up often and many highend collectors are hunting them.

Here are some that have just gone up on RS

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=5&Number=4006594&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#Post4028355#4006594

I have seen them sell for more than these prices as well.

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:12 am

Andy, (Public sorry for getting your name wrong)

I hope you will continue to ask questions, but I think it would help if you chose an area of focus to research on. For example, your looking at a PBP/Tri Stormtrooper, so why not research the PBP line while you are looking for one or even just the vintage stormtrooper in general. There have been at least two great Stormtrooper focus collections that I can think of and I know at least one of those has pictures of his collection on RS. You could check out those collections and see if they mention which figure was the hardest for them to track down or even just look at the pictures and decide which version you like the best.

Here are a few link to help you to get started on your research path.

John Graham focus
Don's Focus
PBP Search on RASSCV

and of course

Luke Jedi Research Project

I think RASSCV is a place that often gets overlooked these days. It was the RS of the 90's and luckily the whole thing is archived on google groups. If I am really digging for information I go there. A good example was when I was looking for information on the Young Jedi Knight Mailer. I think there are only two threads or so that discuss it on RS. I went to RASSCV and found tons of old posts and information on the thing. Here is the direct link RASSCV. Just use the search box and see what you can find.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Ronniebiggs
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Ronniebiggs

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:41 am

Hi all again.
I understand where you are all coming from and agree.
Joe I will be doing my research and I never really took offence to what you put. I just get fed up of that response. But like I said lets forget about it now 🎅

Jay as always that was a very good post, very informative and I have to say I like the look at some of them Glasslite figures. I had touched on Glasslite but again havent done a big research into it. The thing I like about this range is the differnce of the figures. The R2D2 is completly different with its colours etc. I have made an offer on the R2D2 (Yes some will say here he goes premeturly! buying without research Laughing ). My reason for this is prior to the posts the R2D2 with a pop up saber was the figure I actually was trying to get hold of.
I like the Glasslite variation so much that if he accepts my offer I will buy it.
I did like the Takara 3 leg R2D2 as well but I might buy that and have that in my collection as well as its quite abit different to the glasslite.

Money isnt a problem as to speak (VISA loves me Rolling Eyes ) but im no millionaire and thats why I had to take a break from collecting and often do due to my expensive taste. Its my only bad point I would say and sometimes does cloud my judgement.
Shawn again thankyou for the starting points. I will have a good read over the links you have posted.

Thankyou all

Andy cheers
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:31 pm

There are three different molded face Luke Jedis existing....you have to wait for my guide Wink

Wolff
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:16 pm

"Takara 3 leg R2D2" what did I miss I thought Takara R2 was the wind up fellow, and even then this has 3 minor variations. As for the learning everyday- snap cape luke has a green saber? Ooops I better move my blue saber over to another dude. "you have to wait for my guide" HURRY UP Razz Razz Just kidding Wolff, for variant nuts like me this guide is going to be priceless (no that wasn't a suggestion on what to charge Laughing ) Since a fair bit of advice has been thrown around- mine would be don't trust everything you read either.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:34 pm

wbobafett wrote:
There are three different molded face Luke Jedis existing....you have to wait for my guide Wink

Wolff

I have a feeling your guide is going to make me start hunting for a lot more loose figures. Wink I can't wait for the release.

aussiejames wrote:
"Takara 3 leg R2D2" what did I miss I thought Takara R2 was the wind up fellow, and even then this has 3 minor variations. As for the learning everyday- snap cape luke has a green saber? Ooops I better move my blue saber over to another dude. "you have to wait for my guide" HURRY UP Razz Razz Just kidding Wolff, for variant nuts like me this guide is going to be priceless (no that wasn't a suggestion on what to charge Laughing ) Since a fair bit of advice has been thrown around- mine would be don't trust everything you read either.

You're good on the snap cape. In Ryan's research project he had thought that the blue saber didn't come with one, but I found a carded one that you can see the snap through the bubble. It is in that same post, but you have to go to the 2nd or 3rd page.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Ronniebiggs
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Ronniebiggs

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 5:14 pm

I have seen what I assume to be Wolfs guide and it looks ideal for what I want. I would also like to buy a copy as and when its done if you dont mind.

Yes James Rolling Eyes I made a mistake it was the wind up one I meant. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:02 am

Ronniebiggs wrote:
I have seen what I assume to be Wolfs guide and it looks ideal for what I want. I would also like to buy a copy as and when its done if you dont mind.

Yes James Rolling Eyes I made a mistake it was the wind up one I meant. Laughing

Wolffs guide will be awesome!

We are also adding a Lily Ledy Figure guide to TIG over the next few months as well!

Always feel free to ask questions Andy the lads here have a wealth of knowledge Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronniebiggs
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Ronniebiggs

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks Jay.
I find myself looking into one thing to buy then another because I cant find anything for sale. I suppose its frustration really Laughing
Im still waiting on an answer from the Moderator who is selling the glasslite from RS to say yey or ney on the R2D2. Im trying to buy myself just one figure for a christmas present and whilst im waiting Im going to try and start to construct a smart display to put up on a wall to house all my loose figures. I will setout all my figures and take a pic for everone to see. They are nothing special but we all start somewhere. Post back when I get it done.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:59 am

Ronniebiggs wrote:
Thanks Jay.
I find myself looking into one thing to buy then another because I cant find anything for sale. I suppose its frustration really Laughing
Im still waiting on an answer from the Moderator who is selling the glasslite from RS to say yey or ney on the R2D2. Im trying to buy myself just one figure for a christmas present and whilst im waiting Im going to try and start to construct a smart display to put up on a wall to house all my loose figures. I will setout all my figures and take a pic for everone to see. They are nothing special but we all start somewhere. Post back when I get it done.

Nice one Andy i look forward to seeing pictures of your loose collection and of your display once you get it set up Smile

One of the things about going in for hard to find figures is that it can take an age for a decent example to come up.

Sometimes is worth targeting maybe 3 - 4 specific figures at a time at least that way one should come up.

For example -

Dengar Dark Armour Tri PBP Variant -

This is the most desirable and probably hardest to find in good condition Dengar of them all but compared to a Lily Ledy Stormtrooper it is relatively easy to pick up. Expect to pay 10 - 25 GBP

Here is a picture of mine

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 NOCOODENGARPIC1

A lily Ledy Stormtrooper -

Hard to find in good condition and these don't come up often! Its even harder to source one with the original Lily Ledy Blaster. Expect to pay 40GBP - 80GBP depending on condition.

Here is a picture of the one i used to own

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 DSC00730

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 DSC00731

A YPS Snowtrooper with Action Force Rifle -

(I didn't say a Blue Stars Uzay Snowtrooper Bootleg as these a pretty rare and you would expect pay 400gbp for a nice complete example that's if you even get the chance to buy one)

Expect to pay between 20GBP - 60GBP depending on condition and if it has the original skirt and action force weapon.

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 Wolf-yps_trooper

Here is some history on this highly sought after variant

http://theswca.com/images-forei/wolf-yps_trooper.html

Hoth Rebel Solider PBP / Tri (Dark Uniform)

There actual 2 sub variants of this figure the pale face Tri PBP and the Flesh Face Tri PBP. This is by far the most rare and desriable Hoth Rebel Solider that you could pick up.

Expect to pay 100GBP ++

The figure on the righthand side is a standard Hoth Rebel Solider for comparison.

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 Rebelsolidertripbpcomparision
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 10:07 am

I want that DENGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are or were (the auctions may be over) 3 Snowtrooper YPS auctions on ebay a day or two ago!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 10:21 am

coachk28 wrote:
I want that DENGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are or were (the auctions may be over) 3 Snowtrooper YPS auctions on ebay a day or two ago!!!!!

Quite a large majority of of the YPS snowtroopers on ebay arent YPS snowtroopers from my experience.

Some listings do have the correct figure but its been paired with the kenner weapon and a standard kenner skirt.

To add to the problem there are also REPRO's of the YPS Gun out there as well (See http://www.imperialgunnery.com/theriflessection.htm to find out how to spot the differences)

This is why research and study is the key if you want to avoid getting burned.

Both the figure, skirt and weapon are very specific to this variant so you need to know exactly what your looking for. If you have seen one on ebay that you want to bid on / buy then get as many detailed pictures off the seller as possible first and post them on here for verification if your unsure.

Yeah the Tri PBP Dengar is by far the coolest Dengar imo Smile

Jay
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 10:27 am

i just checked there are 3 AFA graded YPS Snowtroopers... all around AFA 80-85. hes asking about $200.

ive been looking for a dengar like that!!! I dont care for the regular one!!!! I also want that brown hoth trooper!!!!

I have the china U85 flesh face, molded boots variant which i guess is better than having the common one!!!! only 6 of those on AFA.... by far the fewest outside the No COO Dark Brown!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ronniebiggs
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Ronniebiggs

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:50 pm

Once again Jay thats the exact type of detailed reply I like. You have given me just enough information to set me on eth right path.
I have posted my collection as you will have seen in the limelight section. I will be having a closer look at the COO's etc alittle later on to see if I have any good variations without knowing it.

I to like the Dengar. I have looked on ebay and there are 2 lsitings of the Snowtrooper YPS. One doesnt have the cape and the other does. Only problem is the one that doesnt have the cape looks like it will sell cheap and the on ethat does is £65 which is probably at the top of its price.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:40 pm

"molded boots variant" you talking about the rebel soldier? This topic came up on RS and for some weird reason they thought one was as common as the other! And to be picky there are 3 dark armour Dengars if you get into fine leg marking details Laughing And with the YPS snowtrooper 2 different scars Smile
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Yeah is was talking about the molded boots Hoth Rebel Soldier.

HK and CH variants are both common??? Oh well..... at least its beter than just having a regular Hoth Rebel Soldier!!!!
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 6:05 am

As Andy requested here is a comparison picture of the Dengar.

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 DCAM0454

The figure is hard to to take pictures of and if the lighting is wrong many standard Dengars look like the dark armor variant which is why you thought the one on ebay was. You also need to note the colour of his face as well and how that differs to the other examples above. To through a spanner in the works though some of the other normal colour armour variants have pale faces.

I tired to get the picture to highlight the differences in colour. In person its even more pronounced and you can spot the dark Armour variant a mile away when its placed next to the others Smile

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 7:17 am

Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 Rebelsoldiers
First 3 are Hong Kong (dark brown boots, pink face & pale face)then raised bar no COO & China soldier.
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 8:18 am

If any has an extra minty Dengar Dark Armour Tri PBP Variant and is willing to sell/trade let me know!!!

All these posts and pictures about it are just a damn tease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:I am stupid: head bang :I am stupid: head bang :I am stupid: head bang :I am stupid: head bang :I am stupid: head bang
Back to top Go down
Ronniebiggs
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Ronniebiggs

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 2:30 pm

LOL. Its hard to see from the pictures th difference. I can understand that the if I had them held in my hand there would be a big difference between the dark armour and the normal dengar. But unfortunatly most of the time if buying of e-bay the picture is all we have to go on and as I said yesterday some of the standard Dengars look really like the dark dengar :I am stupid:

I was hoping to spot one on e-bay that someone wasnt aware was a dark armour varient and get it nice and cheap Laughing Its much harder to do that than it looks
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 2:54 pm

If you look at the info I provided Andy you can narrow your search to increase your chances I.e the dark armor version has a pale face almost white so ignore all the yellow face, flesh face examples for starters. Then you can email the seller to have pics sent of the COO.

They don't come up often so the key is patience remeber if any BIN come up at a good preice chances are someone will pull the trigger.

The above principles apply to all hard to find figures just remember there are guys who hunt hard for these things and have years of experience. If you see one on auction that won't stop another collecxt sending as message to the buyer offering to buy for a set price off ebay Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronniebiggs
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Ronniebiggs

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 3:00 pm

True. I will have a little look about now and see what I can come up with. I have been looking at the lili ledy thread you have going and compaing my figures to the guide. As I said earlier I have a chewy lili but it appears no others at the moment. One thing I did notice when I compaired the 2 leia Boush figures is the one I have has no COO. Is that of any significance? I will be having a little research on it whilst browsing the net Cool
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 3:03 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:

The above principles apply to all hard to find figures just remember there are guys who hunt hard for these things and have years of experience. If you see one on auction that won't stop another collecxt sending as message to the buyer offering to buy for a set price off ebay Smile

Not that Jay needs to have a point validated but I got my Moulded Legs Han Hoth for $10 (inlcluding shipping) by doing just that a couple of months ago. Say nothing of the MOC lots I've bought. If you see one, send a friendly Email complimenting the great condition and ask if you can make an offer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Figure Variants?   Which Figure Variants? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Figure Variants?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next