The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Never released vintage Sail Barge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Never released vintage Sail Barge Empty
PostSubject: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:30 am

On SWCA I came across this Kenner patent for the Sail Barge.

Never released vintage Sail Barge Barge3

Such a shame, Kenner never released it. But understandable, the patent was issued in February 1985, when the vintage toy line was already suffering from a drastic decline in sales.

But maybe there is hope. Celebrating the 30th aniversary of ESB, Hasbro decided to release a very big version of the AT AT this year.There will even be a vintage like packaging later this year (Target exclusive).

Could it be that Hasbro would celebrate the 30th aniversary of ROTJ by releasing another big vehicle in 2013: The Sail Barge based upon the vintage patent?

Wishful thinking? Probably. I can imagine it would appeal both to kids as collectors, so guaranteed sales. On the other hand, maybe production costs would be too high for such big vehicle.

Though mainly a vintage collector, I would consider buying it coz it would be an awesome piece for building a Sarlacc pit diorama.

Curious, you think there will be a Sail Barge released in 2013 (or b4)? Would you buy it?

Cheers

Never released vintage Sail Barge Sail_Barge_2

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 3:44 pm

There's been a few modern pieces that have got my interest but in the end I never bought them. (ie the big falcon & At-At) In a few years my son might be old enough to like something like a big sail barge so I might consider buying it for him & then stealing it off him for my collection Smile
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 4:47 pm

aussiejames wrote:
There's been a few modern pieces that have got my interest but in the end I never bought them. (ie the big falcon & At-At) In a few years my son might be old enough to like something like a big sail barge so I might consider buying it for him & then stealing it off him for my collection Smile

I'm the same James. I planned on buying the BMF, but just never got around to it. It is a great updated version of the falcon though and I'm sure Hasbro will release it again as I'm sure they invested quite a bit of money in making the thing. I'm toying around again this time with picking up the new AT-AT in vintage packaging that comes out in a month or so. My only problem is that if I'm spending that much money, I would rather it be something truly vintage.

As far as a Sail Barge, I think it would be cool to see one in toy form, but I personally think it would be way too big for something Hasbro to produce. I'll probably be eating my words though in a couple years. I remember seeing a very nice custom of the Sail Barge a few years back which was really nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm

shawn_k wrote:
I remember seeing a very nice custom of the Sail Barge a few years back which was really nice.

Josh made that Diorama. I was going to add the link, but can't find it.

Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Capetown wrote:
shawn_k wrote:
I remember seeing a very nice custom of the Sail Barge a few years back which was really nice.

Josh made that Diorama. I was going to add the link, but can't find it.

I thought it might be Josh, but couldn't remember. He's made some really good ones.

Edit: Found It.
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Too bad all the pics are gone. Neutral
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Capetown wrote:
Too bad all the pics are gone. Neutral

I noticed there are still a few on the second page of the thread.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 6:51 pm

I already made a plan to do a custom in vintage style....so that Jabba fits in!!!

Its all in my head...and one day....I will make one! Very Happy

Wolff
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Never released vintage Sail Barge Sailbarge
just in case all the pictures disappear, here it is.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:49 am

aussiejames wrote:
Never released vintage Sail Barge Sailbarge
just in case all the pictures disappear, here it is.

That is truly a great custom Sail Barge!!

Hopefully Hasbro is going to make it in this way IF they decide to do so

I bougt a few modern pieces (BMF, AT-ST, X-Wing) and play around with the idea to put these next to their vintage counterparts one day. Old and modern stuff next to each other, just for a few selected vehicles. I think that would look quite OK.

Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 5:05 am

there is others:
Never released vintage Sail Barge Bargen10Never released vintage Sail Barge P6210010

and last but not least...the original:
Never released vintage Sail Barge U12l9m10
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:10 pm

shawn_k wrote:
I'm toying around again this time with picking up the new AT-AT in vintage packaging that comes out in a month or so. My only problem is that if I'm spending that much money, I would rather it be something truly vintage.

I just saw on RS that the vintage styled AT AT is already out in LA.

Hmmmmm, looks tempting
Back to top Go down
geordie
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
geordie

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:
shawn_k wrote:
I'm toying around again this time with picking up the new AT-AT in vintage packaging that comes out in a month or so. My only problem is that if I'm spending that much money, I would rather it be something truly vintage.

Hmmmmm, looks tempting

where are they for sale at?? like a regular shop or just on the internet

Andy
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm

geordie wrote:
Dr Dengar wrote:
shawn_k wrote:

Hmmmmm, looks tempting

where are they for sale at?? like a regular shop or just on the internet

Andy

Cut and Paste directly from RS:

...the AT-AT has hit Toys "R" US stores in Los Angeles in the exclusive packaging from The Vintage Collection. The price is $109.99, which is a step up from the $89.99 sale price from just a few weeks ago...but if you were holding out for the cool "vintage-esque" box, start checking your local stores. Note there is no difference to the actual AT-AT itself.
Back to top Go down
HothTony
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
HothTony

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Andy dont get distracted mate by new stuff..... stay focused lol!

Thought you might have been still beaming after todays action cheers
Tony
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 6:14 am

No real news about a possible release of the sail barge but still an interesting read from JTA's Q&A .

6. Will we ever see Jabba's Sail Barge made for the 30th anniversary of Return of the Jedi? Its my most wanted vehicle in the entire star wars figure line, hoping to see it one day! (William)

Any Jabba's sail barge updates from Hasbro? (Eric)

JTA: If we here at JTA have any say in it, then yes, it's definitely coming. But we don't have any input in this process and it appears Hasbro doesn't want to hear our input either. Excuse us while we wipe the tears.... But if Hasbro has any mercy on us, they will buckle down, bite the bullet and start making many 30+ and 40+ somethings' dreams come true and release this stunning vehicle. And all we would ask them to do really is make a middle area big enough to house the brand new Jabba's Throne playset. It is our most wanted vehicle of all time as well and we just don't care that they can't make it to scale. We just need it significantly bigger than the desert skiff which should be easy enough. They could even save money by ignoring electronics and other bells and whistles to put towards an massive and impressive sculpt. We thought they would cave when the Sail Barge made a very cool appearance in The Clone Wars, but Hasbro came back and said it wasn't prominent enough. Keep voicing your opinions and post away in whatever forums you belong to as well as ours! We need to make a big stink about this in order for it to happen. For us, if Hasbro could make the Death Star playset and Jabba's Sail Barge, we probably wouldn't whine for anything else. (We lie! Of course we would continue to whine for more stuff!)

Sail Barge
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 5:47 pm

UPDATE: A petition has started to have the Sail Barge realized for the 3.75" line. Very Happy

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/links/sail-barge-petition/

Never released vintage Sail Barge Sail_Barge
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 pm

The problem with this Guys is that this is gonna be super expensive.

Toy' r'us got the exclusivity on the new vintage falcon and most of you probably know that this falcon seems to be a legacy falcon repack but the price tag went from 150$ to 250$ for the falcon. I have been ranting about this on rebelscum and a lot of people agree that the final price charged by Toy's r us makes the toy practically un accessible at least until a sale comes along. So if the same type of exculsivity deal would happen with a sail barge you can bet your behind that it is gonna be costly.

Today i went to the local toy r us and they had the new angry bird stuff, a few more carded vintage and lot os ROTJ at ats but priced at 150$ a piece. They still have the death star trench run too. I did not see the falcon though. I am gonna wait for some sort of special and see if i can snag the AT AT later. i am sure that after x-mas they will want to get rid of these pretty quick.

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 am

The patent for the Sail Barge toy mentions none other than Ralph McQuarrie as the inventor.

Kenner Sail Barge Patent

Just the thought about the possibility that his design could finally be converted into the actual toy, thrills me. cheers

Price might be an issue, I agree.

But first things first, the Sail Barge has not been produced yet. Besides I don't need to buy it to still enjoy its release. Very Happy

Let's wait and see....

Meanwhile I hope Josh chimes in and reposts his pics of his custom Sail Barge and Sarlacc Pit in this thread. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Never released vintage Sail Barge   Never released vintage Sail Barge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Never released vintage Sail Barge

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1