The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CloudCity_Gangzr
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
CloudCity_Gangzr

OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum Empty
PostSubject: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Since this forum exists and it is so similar Scum, I have to ask, why was it was created? I can think of a few reasons. Some of Scum’s rules are absolutely stupid and some of their moderators/admin are obnoxious. I’m surprised that there was enough displeasure with Scum to create an all together new site, but maybe I’ve got it wrong. Anyway, I’m just curious.

-Chad
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/gallery/TIG-User-Mug-Shots/i
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Jay is probably the best person to answer this- but I'll have a go. Initially 'The Imperial gunnery' was designed as an information site for REAL weapons & accessories, the forum was an add on after the fact. There was a lot of problems with people worried about reproductions & going for u grade loose etc. A bunch of people helped (& continue to do so cos' it's not quite finished) and it was just easier to communicate on a seperate forum - purely vintage. And yes the 'rules' are a lot more laid back. There are at least half a dozen other starwars forums, and I don't think any displeasure with RS was a factor in creating this forum. I'd say most of us are members on both.
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:36 pm

That was very well spoken james.I agree with everything said.

I realy like it here because it is very laid back and i think it's more of an adult base here were RS is more for Adult's and children.

language is definitly a stickler on RS.Plus i like the fact that vintage is the main discussion here.

Vintage is what i grew up with and what like to collect.I collected modern stuff in the mid 90's for what reason i don't know maybe trying to relive childhood memories but eventually i felt like a tool and sold them all for like pennie's on the dollar.Geez what was i thinking.

Anyway yes i was a member on RS first and still am but i realy hang out here 99% of the time.RS just does'nt get it done for me.I like the community here 1000% better we talk freely here and for the most part we all get along.

I feel like TIG is the new RS but better.

TIG is an ongoing,improving and building a better Vintage SW site anywhere hand's down.In a year or two this place will be mainstream for everyone i beleive.

Dan.
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:39 pm

I enjoyed talking with you in chat Chad welcome to TIG.

welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome

Dan.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 am

Hi Chad welcome to the forum buddy its great to see you here Smile

To answer your question - (To be fair though AJ answered it pretty well)

Just over a year ago on RS we had the huge U Debate on RS many of the lads here voiced their opinions at the time. One of the things i notice that people were saying as a reason to collect U Grades was the fact it meant the weapons / accessories were genuine. The only real resource for REPRO's was the Jawa's Armory which had provided a great service to vintage collectors for many years but ultimately had started to become out dated. In the the RS debate many people took the "well we cant do anything about it so whats the point going on about it" approach so i decided that it would be cool to attempt to build a REPRO Weapon site but take it further by cataloging original weapon variants e.g PBP, Lili Ledy etc etc as well as providing info on the newer REPRO's on the market today.

I did the work setting out the site and Wolff support me by providing most of the content and helping me through each section – its worth adding that many of the guys helped out with pictures the list is to long to name everyone but its safe to say it was a team effort.

Once the main site was up and running at – www.imperialgunnery.com we decided it would be great to set up a forum as well.

One thing that was decided on early on was to ensure that the forum would be a purely Vintage Starwars Forum unlike other sites like RS etc as AJ said they are at least 6 forums with vintage SW sections out there. Of course this narrowed the appeal field but we felt it would be awesome to have an all vintage SW community and an all vintage SW site. The other feature we wanted was live chat which is integrated into the home page of the forum and users can enter in seconds and talk live to other collectors from around the globe I think it is this feature that really helps ensure we have a strong tit nit community here.

We are working on numerous projects to help benefit the community here are a few of them –

The main Site at – www.imperialgunnery.com is still a work in progress with many items still to be added. We are considering moving the content across to the forum with a totally new design layout.

The Lili Ledy Guide – The Weapons’ guide on the main site helped Lili Ledy collectors ensure they could check to see if LL Weapons they had been sold were genuine we wanted to take this further by building the most comprehensive Lili Ledy Figure Guide on the net – Like everything this is a huge team effort and ongoing.

A Guide to warn collectors of the the new wave of high quality REPRO Weapons that have hit the market in the last 6 – 9 months. (This should be ready in the next 2 weeks and will be posted on all the vintage SW forums)

Going back to you post title of RS V TIG I have to say i use RS quite frequently and have always advised people that it’s a great resource and well worth signing up there. Of course there are fundamental differences between how the two sites are run RS is more child friendly whereas TIG is pretty much for over 18’s this is reflected by the fact we don’t censor language on here and are more laid back in general.

Like many folk certain things about RS do bother me the first been that I have seen people banned because they have commented out of place about somebody yet I see notorious scammers and dodgy sellers with multiple watch out threads stretching back years still been allowed to ply their trade. Touch wood we have never had anyone scammed on TIG (there was only 1 incident where we needed to help mediate to find a resolution for both parties which was sorted out) I think our sense of community and the fact that we wouldn’t allow somebody with persistence poor form to sell on here helps with this.

I deal with lots of great people on RS but i have to say been part of this site and community and been able to have many live conversations in the chat feature over the last 8 months has enabled me to form some great friendships with vintage SW collectors from all corners of the globe Smile

I hope that provides a bit of insight as to why the site came about Smile

Cheers Jay

Last edited by jaymassive619 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 5:39 am

I couldn't agree more with everything that has been said!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 7:13 am

Chad - Don't buy into this lovefest. Jay said there was a "Make your own Sundae" bar and when we got here there wasn't. lol!

Seriously , everyone's summed up the main points but my 2 cents to add is that the toleration factor is much higher here and ego's are all checked at the door. I've seen some conversations and posts that would have debilitated pretty quickly on RS that here get friendly attention. I can name at least three folks off the top of my head that were blasted on RS and came here with the same questions. Here they got the answers and have stayed and become solid members of the community.

So pull up a chair and stay a while! Jay says he's making the site an all you can drink. Just can't find that USB to Beer Tap converter he says I need Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 7:41 am

Don't forget there are about 3-4 big(ish) vintage forums out there and many more SW forums in general that cover toys so its not really about being a vs match. I think both can exist and have their own pros and cons, at one time I was using three forums daily now I feel much more relaxed here and that takes me down to 2.

RS is RS - In my eyes there is no competition thing going on Very Happy Its just another forum that hopefully people enjoy and more importantly benefit from with the main weapons site and the Ledy guide and also a tonne of awesome guys here that will answer you with help rather than stick a firework up your ass Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 am

I am a member here and on SWFUK and both forums are great. RS t o me is more like the Nazi Star Wars Forum....You ask a question or voice your opinion and all of a sudden the they gang up on you like Hitler's SS and the MOD's ban you of course. That is not to say there are not some friendly guys over there or that there is no value to the RS forum. I agree it is not a versus thing as much as a preference to what forums you feel more comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
CloudCity_Gangzr
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
CloudCity_Gangzr

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for your replies. I think, I understand where you’re coming from. I do tend to look at things like this as a competition. It still seems to me that this place was born out of a lack of satisfaction with Scum. I think RS used to be (like 7 years ago) a lot more "laid back" and I agree that it is a bit uptight over there now.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm

I think as explained the main reason initially was to help bridge the gap between users of the weapon site Jay set up and the owners/helpers of the site.

It grew into a general Vintage board from the start because we just like talking about toys Smile

The forum was definitely not born out of any bad feelings towards RS that I know 100% , other places, perhaps Wink but not RS Smile
Back to top Go down
xxGANDALFxx
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
xxGANDALFxx

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Im a member of 3-4 SW collecting forums and they all offer different things to the hobby but out of them all SWCC and TiG have been the most receptive to questions from me who has only been collecting for 2 months now and more suportive.

I asked a few questions on RS and felt like they expected better of me and the questions i asked didnt even get a response... well a helpfull 1. Thats when i found SWCC and they introduced me to TiG where questions were not only answered but encouraged on both fronts Smile

Keep up the great work SWCC/TiG peeps Smile
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Tech-Models
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 6:00 am

Hi Cloud City, welcome to TIG Smile

I still use RS and it's a great resource with some good guys. RS is so big and established now that it's easier to get 'stranded' there as a newcomer. There are so many different personalities and areas of interest (vintage and modern) and it's a much bigger landscape.
Maybe the same might be said of TIG one day when it reaches a wider audience - TIG is still relatively new and members here are much more open and friendly. But I think TIG will somehow always stay true to it's roots and remain an approachable and friendly site. I also like how TIG is just vintage.

To me it's great having choices and different resources. But regarding censorship it's great to be able to fucking swear here once in a while, and the funniest thing I saw on RS was when I was doing some research into Dick Tracey figures and I came across -

quote: "[censored] Tracey Figurines"

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 7:20 am

I must admit at times the censorship at RS has me rewriting posts quite a few times before I can submit! I did get a bit sweary in one AFA thread and I masked it all with $ and other symbols lol

Fuck we all swear, maybe RS should make the vintage section 18+ Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
CloudCity_Gangzr
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
CloudCity_Gangzr

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:46 pm

[quote="Artoo_Detour"]I also like how TIG is just vintage.
[quote]

I’ve never cared that RS addresses so many Star Wars topics. RS has always just been a vintage site for my purposes. I so rarely stray from the vintage section. I guess I’m surprised to hear that so many of you even consider that to be a pro or a con.

The censorship issue can be humorous. I think my biggest gripes with the site are the politics of the “inner circle”, the classifies section rules, and the watch out section rules.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 pm

[quote="CloudCity_Gangzr"][quote="Artoo_Detour"]I also like how TIG is just vintage.
Quote :

I’ve never cared that RS addresses so many Star Wars topics. RS has always just been a vintage site for my purposes. I so rarely stray from the vintage section. I guess I’m surprised to hear that so many of you even consider that to be a pro or a con.

The censorship issue can be humorous. I think my biggest gripes with the site are the politics of the “inner circle”, the classifies section rules, and the watch out section rules.

I must admit i only use the vintage section of RS 99.9% of the time i just think it was cool to have a site that is purely dedicated to vintage SW from top to bottom Smile

Without going into the inner circle on RS debate i think we have a great team of active collectors here on TIG and each one birings some thing different to the table and all are totally committed to helping new colllectors develop in this fantastic hooby Smile

There are certainly no egos on here Smile

I dont want to get drawn into the whats wrong with RS debate i highlighted it earlier and ill state it again i do feel that certain serial bad sellers with multiple watch out threads for poor form over the years seem to be allowed to contiune which ultimately leads to more people been ripped off.

Jay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum   OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OT: The Imperial Gunnery vs. Rebel Scum

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1