The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... Empty
PostSubject: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 7:15 pm

Okay folks, put your rants about things that were (and were not) "fixed" here.

I'll start with the most (un)favorite one, the Greedo scene.

Why the HELL did George feel the need to "fix" a 20 year old shot? He stated that he wanted to go back to it because he wanted to show that Greedo shot first, leaving Han "no choice" but to shoot him, making Han more of a "good guy." BOLLOCKS! There is NO NEED to establish anything! Greedo was talking smack, AND had a pistol pointed at Han's face. Anyone in that situation that wants to live would BLAST first and ask questions later! C'mon George! Just think about it. You're in a place that "can be a little rough" to begin with, a crime lord's lackey puts a blaster in your face, the rest is a no-brainer. Even with today's technology in films, NOBODY wants to alter established footage. I still remember seeing the Special Edition in the theater, and when the Greedo scene happened, the theater went silent and everybody was looking at each other, like "what the hell was THAT?" whispers everywhere. It ruined the whole moment. Then, in 2004 for the DVD release, instead of putting the original scene back in, George saw fit to screw with it again. It's a LITTLE bit smoother and doesn't hiccup as bad, but it's the same result! I heard a KID ask an adult if that part of the DVD was messed up!

Okay, your turn! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://home.comcast.net/~jeditray/
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I don't like this :

Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... G065e4x4

Even worse that Sebastian Shaw is no longer with us I just found it rather upsetting to change the image of Anakins ghost to Hayden... I will always remember the man under the mask like this :

Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... 20090202224934!Sebastian_Shaw_as_Anakin_Skywalker
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Even worse is the replacement of the cool Ewok party/celebration music at the end of ROTJ!!!

That new boring mellow music at the end is so anti climatic!!!!
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Jabba's scene in ANH with Solo bothered me because Jabba looked terrible. I liked the idea, it establishes a lot, and of the quick shot of Boba Fett is great. However Jabba looked so damn bizarre.

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Agreed on all counts! Excellent posts guys. Keep it up! There's tons more!
Back to top Go down
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:35 pm

I don't understand why they would go to the trouble of placing the Imperial officer's pips on the correct side of their jackets, yet they don't fix the reverse shot of Boba Fett pulling his blaster in Jabba's palace. Put the viewfinder on the correct side of the helmet!
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:47 pm

I'll tell you what i dislike about the new SW movie's Jar Jar bink's.He's to obnoxious.

Dan.
Back to top Go down
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 6:17 am

vintageSWfan wrote:
I'll tell you what i dislike about the new SW movie's Jar Jar bink's.He's to obnoxious. Dan.

Heh heh, indeed. Jar Jar is a given in any circle!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 7:36 am

The new wampa scene in ESB is dumb as well!!! I liked it better when you didn't see the whole wampa!!!
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 10:39 am

I don't like the added animation/changed music in Jabba's palace. That one is probably my biggest pet peeve.

The other few that I don't like are Vader going to his shuttle in ESB after cutting off Luke's hand. The whole scene looks very much an after thought. I also don't like the added creatures in the cantina in ANH.

I will however say that I love some of the color correction they did on the DVD releases. Especially the snowstorm on Hoth. If you've ever been out in a snowstorm at twilight, they captured the colors perfectly!
Back to top Go down
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Indeed. I'll take Lapti Nek over Jedi Rocks any day.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 5:17 pm

JediTray wrote:
Indeed. I'll take Lapti Nek over Jedi Rocks any day.

Is that what they call it?

I thought it was just shit. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 2:55 am

Indeed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:56 am

I cant begin to describe all the things that pissed me off which is why when it comes to ANH i will only watch the Adywan edits these days!

Roll on Adywan ESB!

Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 6:55 am

100% agreed. It would be great if Ady had access to ILM to make his changes cleaner and more realistic. Still, a great watch and covers a great deal of fixes and screwups.
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:25 am

Seeing Dash Rendar's Outrider taking off in the background of Mos Eisley is dumb!!!

But thats because Im not an EU fan!!!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:30 am

The worst has to be the new CGI "Little Shop of Horrors" version of The Sarlacc in ROTJ!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Also, as a musician, the score has a couple problems that piss me off.

First, the 20th Century Fox Fanfare with CinemaScope Extension. It is a staple of all the films. HOWEVER, George has not changed the Alfred Newman recording from 1954 at the beginning of ANH! It doesn't make sense for a newcomer, or someone watching the films in "order", and throws the whole thing off. Put the John Williams with the LSO version in there, George!

Second, and this really chaps my ass, there is no Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) in ANH. Of course, we all know why, because the theme didn't exist yet. BUT, ALL OF THE OTHER FILMS HAVE IT, INCLUDING THE (TERRIBLE) FILMS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO TAKE PLACE BEFORE ANH! There is tons of reference material, so they don't even need the orchestra or Mr. Williams to inject the theme in just a few places for continuity's sake. Or, at best, they can bring Williams in to supervise and/or put the theme in here and there. Believe me folks, compared to the numerous other problems that need fixing, the music is one of the easiest.

But, I know it will be ignored. Bastards.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 5:38 am

JediTray wrote:
100% agreed. It would be great if Ady had access to ILM to make his changes cleaner and more realistic. Still, a great watch and covers a great deal of fixes and screwups.

I dunno Tray i personally feel Adys effects and clean ups are far superior to anything ILM achieved with the Special Editions!

Take the facial improvements on the cantina creatures in ANH Revisited for me they now look far more realistic than any of the aliens in The Phantom Menace.

Cheers Jay

Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 12:27 am

Oh yeah, I'm not saying Ady's changes were bad by any means, it's just that some were not "studio" quality.

Speaking of effects, I sincerely hope that someday ALL of the OT effects shots will get the overhaul they deserve. There is only so much that can be done to correct optical effects, and the OT deserves to be updated in EVERY way with the very tools that it pioneered. That's what pisses me off the most I think. All the hit-and-miss changes are bullshit. If they're gonna do it, do it RIGHT, and with CARE.

Case in point, the 4 sentry TIE-Fighter attack on the Millennium Falcon. Almost every shot in that sequence is crap. Think of the camera angles and such that can be created now! I still laugh every time during that scene, especially when the TIE's fly over and the sound is an X-WING flyby! Oops! I thought for sure they would catch that in 2004, but nope.

What would be really cool is, if they set up a forum where we could all tell them what is wrong, what needs to be fixed, what needs to be PUT BACK, etc.

Yeah right!
Back to top Go down
hansole
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
hansole

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 5:37 am

han shots first nuff said.

Well the death star stormie hunt isin the new version ok. Lots of stormies nice.

But other that that I think all the other chances sug big time.

Let the old Star Wars be old 70-80'ish movies and keep that crappy CGI out of them.

Drewbacks are uckley in the new version.
Back to top Go down
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm watching the OT on Spike HD right now. Wow, even more underwhelming than I thought. The aspect ratio is slightly different, but still shows the flaws every bit as badly as watching the DVD's upconverted on my 1080p TV. Very disappointing.

Steve Sansweet recently announced that they have been working on a Blu-ray release for all six films for the past couple of years. I really hope that they are concentrating on the OT's many fixes, and not just tinkering with the new digital Yoda for TPM. The matte boxes around the Death Star, AT-ST's, Speeder Bikes, spacecraft, etc. MUST be addressed. The black blob on the Emperor's face, the jittery starfields outside the windows, the shadow of Vader's stunt blade on the floor, the terrible A-Wing crash and destruction of the Executor.... Christ, I could go on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The OT has fallen victim to the very technology it pioneered. Star Wars is no longer looked to for it's accomplishments. That is sad.

You know, on a technical level, the space battle at the beginning of ROTS makes the Battle of Endor's space battle look like a cheap animatic. IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS WAY. They have the technology to not only completely redo the battle digitally, but to make it longer and more of an impact. They need to add B-Wings doing what they do best (taking out Star Destroyers), instead of just having them disappear from sight.

And let's not forget Luke and Vader's final duel. Very powerful, but needs some fixes. For example, the rail that is cut when Luke chops Vader's hand off. It is plainly seen that the rail is cut BEFORE the strike of Luke's blade. That can be fixed very easily with CG. All of these things are just so distracting and they piss me off even more knowing that they can be fixed so easily.

I just wish George and Co. cared about it as much as I do.
Back to top Go down
JediTray
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
JediTray

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 3:38 am

Wow. Speaking of underwhelming, I thought for sure that last post would get some replies. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 5:58 pm

said it before and i'll say it again, i hate the choice of actor for anakin in episode 2 and 3

i did like the choice for anakin in episode 1 , and i know some might disagree on my second statment
Back to top Go down
hansole
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
hansole

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Ewan is fin for obi all other in I-II-III suck big time.

Last edited by hansole on Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....   Han shot first! And other things that piss us off.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Han shot first! And other things that piss us off....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next