The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help Needed!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin Use Account

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:58 am

Hi Guys

After much deliberation i had another look at the MIM Vader Beater MOC i had and noticed that there was further cracking down the side of the bubble that i hadn't noticed before so i decided to remove the figure.

However once i took the figure out i realized things wouldn't be plain sailing lol

The figure is really really sticky obviously this is something i know figures removed from MOC's can suffer from but i haven't come across this personally before.

The stickiness is quite bad i have removed the cape and saber successfully so far.

Does anyone have any further advice?

I thought about using a cool hairdryer but wanted to see if anyone who had experienced this before or knows about it had any better advice Smile

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
geordie
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
geordie

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:06 am

Jay,

far from being an expert on such things, but i have been using my sons baby wipes to clean my figures, they have gotton all the gunk/dust etc off really well,
plus as there designed for babies they dont have a load of harmfull chemicals that could damage the figure.

just a thought Help Needed! Icon_smile
good luck with it

Andy
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:11 am

See what happens when you open up MOCs Razz Laughing So the whole figure is sticky? Just wash it in soapy water?
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Andy i use baby wipes my slef to clean loose figures and have advocated them for a few years Smile

This situation is different as its the plastic of the figure its self has deteriorated to a point whilst its been inside the bubble of the MOC. At least surface deterioration anyway if i took a baby wipe to it or tried to wash it in soapy water at the moment it would 100% damage the figures surface as its the figures plastic itself that has become sticky not a residue on top that might happen to a loose figure in a cabinet.

Hope that explains things better.

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
Lee_m
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Lee_m

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:30 am

I've not had a fig like this myself (yet anyway)

You basically want the residue to dry rather than remove it - correct?

I would leave him outdoors and see if the elements will sort him
for ya.
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:32 am

I've used some warm water, a little dish soap and a soft bristle tooth brush to clean my figures!!!

It's worked great and havent had any issues with paint or gloss coming off!!!

Just scrub very very very gently!!!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:32 am

Oxi clean works too!!!!
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:42 am

I had a Lobot that was sticky all over after removing him from his cut card. He just dried up after a while out in the open.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:06 am

Caoch - I dont know if you read my posts above mate but this isn't a dirty figure the plastic has effectively started to melt due to the conditions of been inside the bubble and washing would remove parts of the figure away.

EDIT

I have used a cold hair dryer it took about 15 minuets for the stickiness to start to dry up a bit Smile
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Jay - why did you not use a warm hair dryer? Are you affraid that this would harm the figure?

Uli
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:43 pm

When you were talking about the figures getting sticky... I thought you meant the white sticky crystals that form on figures some time during prolonged storage.

Which I was able to clean off my figs.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:44 pm

Idefix13 wrote:
Jay - why did you not use a warm hair dryer? Are you affraid that this would harm the figure?

Uli

Maybe I'm wrong but I figured that heat would be the last thing you would want to point at sticky plastic bud
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Hm hard to say. I think it would have dryed faster but a MIM Vader is probably the wrong figure to test it...
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:48 pm

coachk28 wrote:
When you were talking about the figures getting sticky... I thought you meant the white sticky crystals that form on figures some time during prolonged storage.

Which I was able to clean off my figs.

I get you Coach the usual term for that is frosting or mold which is easier to remove
from loose figures with wipes but can be a right pain on MOC figures! Smile
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Hey guys,

Lots of MIM figures especially the bagged one are as Jay described. Problem is the colors used from Ledy often were not dry enough and/or were harmed by the flexibilizers from the plastic so they got soft and gluey.

What your figure needs is not heat...it needs oxigene. Heat just makes it more softer. these colors need fresh air and time. The flexibilizers have to give of the plastics and colors. It will need a while.

I once packed off an MIM Logray from baggy....it needed 3-4 month till the colors hardend.

BTW: this is the reason why I think that loose figures will last longer then MOCS or AFA Smile

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I guess it is not the colour of Jay's Vader but more the black plastic he has problems with - or did I understand it wrong?
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Idefix13 wrote:
I guess it is not the colour of Jay's Vader but more the black plastic he has problems with - or did I understand it wrong?

Ok maybe I got it wrong because I knew the gluey problem on the coliors from the MIM figures....

If its the black plastic its the same problem I had with my Paploo MIM... just was it with soap. and leave it alone.

Again the flexibilzers are the problem. Heat is not good here also!

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:55 am

reading through this thread i think Jay meant the figure is sticky not frosted.

As said before loose figures can easily be cleaned, you just need to wash your figure with warm water and soap, and clean it with a baby wipe tissue afterwards for a nice clean figure. also frosting can be removed this way with loose figures.

I always use alcohol tissues to clean my figures and this works perfectly.
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 7:53 am

Frost!!!

That's the term!!!

Couldn't think of it!!!!

:I am stupid: :I am stupid:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help Needed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed!   Help Needed! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Needed!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1