The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Empty
PostSubject: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Maybe I'm just a bit misty eyed because it's the only vintage item I have left from when I was a child, but I really dig the Star Wars Annual no 1. It has great artwork and stills from the movie and also some interesting profiles of the actors.

Published in 1978 under licence by Brown Watson it's one of the few items not copyrighted to Lucas, but instead Twentieth Century-Fox. Not really considered as part of the SW canon and coming off the back of the Marvel comics series that predated it in 1977, the artwork was considered 'cartoony'.

The annual is presented by none other than Stan Lee. Howard Chaykin & Steve Leialoha are the illustrators. One of the colour embellishers is credited as Bill Wray - one of the artists who much later went on to draw Ren & Stimpy!).

I think it's a great book and for me has a place in SW history. Anyone else have this annual? Thoughts?

A few pics....

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Forum515

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Forum516

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Forum518

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Forum517

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Forum519

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Paul that is really cool.

It's even cooler that it's an original peice from your childhood.

Hold on to that sucka just for sentimetal value.

I think it's definitly vintage being over 30 year's old an it does say Star Wars i think it's legit.

cherish it.

Dan. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Cheers Dan, I really love the artwork. The way Vader is slashing Ben is pretty savage even tho it is cartoony!! I think I had this book before I even got my first figure which was a Stormtrooper and I can remembr comparing the figure with the pictures lol.
Smile
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Great item!!...specially if it´s not copyrighted by Lucas, but instead the Twentieth Century-Fox, I guess the T.C.F. is still crying thinking "WHY ON EARTH WE GAVE LUCAS THE MERCHANDISING LICENSE OF THAT LOW-BUDGET MOVIE! ????
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:10 am

Thats a cool piece, Paul. I'd love to add one to my comic collection. Whats the going price for one?
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:16 am

Paul that look's like it would be even hard to get it's a first issue.Usually anything first issue of something is worth quite a few buck's,and their usually scarce.

I definitley would hang on to that.It just might turn out one day to be desirable to the right person and be worth big buck's.You never know.

Dan. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:41 am

Thats a great Annual Paul i have one myself from when i was a kid and it brings back great memories Smile

Chris - They are pretty easy to source and a good condition example can be picked up for less than 10GBP

Here is a nice one for a Buy It Now of 7.95gbp with free shipping in the UK not sure what the postage would be to the US though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-Unclipped-Book-Star-Wars-Annual-No-1-1978-/370371820531?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Annuals_Books_EH&hash=item563be17bf3
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Merlin, thanks, I agree TCF must really be kicking themselves over the whole licence thing head bang lol!

Jay, cheers m8, exactly like you say this book brings back great childhood memories - mine even has my mate's name scrawled inside it when he borrowed it once lol. As if he could possibly steal it!

Chris, cheers. Jay is absolutely right - they're usually quite cheap to pick up under a tenner. I even saw some for a fiver at a recent Memorabilia show. I think because they're not generally considered part of the 'SW canon' they tend to be readily available at low prices - but that's not to detract from the quality of the annual as it really is a gem. Alongside the actual artwork and story, the movie stills and features inside are excellent. I would def recommend getting one.
Smile
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Bumping this thread as I now have all three of the original annuals Smile

Here is the ESB annual and ROTJ annual - both published by Marvel Comics/Grand Dreams, 1980/1983.

Here's some pics coz the artwork is just so cool!

Empire Strikes Back. 1980. Cover art.
Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Esbann10

Details:
Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Esbann11

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Esbann12

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Esbann13

Return Of The Jedi. 1983. Cover art.
Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Rotjan14

Details:
Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Rotjan11

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Rotjan12

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! Rotjan13

Interesting that with these two annuals Lucas got the copyright. but the 1st annual Twentieth Century Fox got the Copyright.
The ESB one is a little tatty in places, but the ROTJ is absolutely minty mint mint!
Cool
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Why does Luke look lilke He-Man on the cover of that Star Wars annual????
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:01 pm

The ROTJ annual looks like the comic book that Marvel put out in the early 80s!!!
Back to top Go down
ctscanman68
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ctscanman68

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Those are great Paul.

Comic books and Star Wars.....does life get any better?! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Beautiful comic treasures, cherish them Paul!

Interestingly in the comic the last moment of the final duel between Obi Wan and Darth Vader is depicted from the perspective of Vader instead of Luke (as in the movie ).
Vader vs Obi Wan
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 pm

thanks guys Cool

and, Marco, yes I agree that's an interesting Vader perspective of the duel - I think the artwork on that particular sequence
is quite chilling really!

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!   Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any love for the vintage 1st SW annual? ESB + ROTJ added!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1